U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 07:01 PM

2,275 posts, read 3,177,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
This sentence can sum up this whole contentious (and very very old) thread. Why did it get resurrected?
Ask LordB I suppose... .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 10:42 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,449,216 times
Change is the nature of things. Life is changing in all parts of the country, North, South, Midwest, West Coast... there's a percentage of people that have trouble accepting this in all places, but it seems slightly higher in the South. That's a problem with them, not a problem with northerners.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:29 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,807,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Change is the nature of things. Life is changing in all parts of the country, North, South, Midwest, West Coast... there's a percentage of people that have trouble accepting this in all places, but it seems slightly higher in the South. That's a problem with them, not a problem with northerners.
i find this an ignorant comment

it's about money right people, it's always about money.

A poor person moving to a high COL place will easily get sucked up into the dynamic and their demographic wont change the lay of the land much.

When people move from a higher COL place to a lower COL they can make much more of a splash compared to the natives and yeah that can breed some resentment. and with money comes attitudes and entitlements....

It's no different than the californication problem happening in the west coast.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:04 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,003,951 times
I'll add my .02 to this fun thread.

My family (ancestors) have lived in the south as early as 1608 and arrived as late as 1760. Both my father's and mother's families lived in North Carolina before the Revolutionary War. Participated in the Regulator War, the Revolutionary War, Civil War and are of Welsh, Scots-Irish and English ancestry.

Having said that, I have lived in New Orleans for almost a decade, moved away and lived in Scotland for a few years, Washington DC for half a year (and I've done a bit of job searching in the northeast US). I never really believed that northerners could be that bad (and I know its a huge generalisation to say this) but many are. I have (particularly in the latest political climate) that I am probably a racist, inbred, that southerners hate Jewish people, we shouldn't be allowed to be part of the United States..to MY FACE. (I do sound southern, the people in the UK always remark on my accent positively).

Now, I don't dislike or hate anyone including people from up north. But being prejudice against the south and southerners still counts as prejudice. I must add that these recent interactions with Americans from up north has left a very bitter taste in my mouth. (Which is too bad, because despite the fact that I am a southerner, I hate the hot weather here but I'll not be going back up north to search for a job).

Old 03-10-2017, 01:23 PM

5,400 posts, read 6,550,585 times
^^^

I also have been told I am stupid because I am a southerner - to my face. Also that southern people think slowly because they speak slowly.

The rudeness was a bafflement to me. and I won't even go into the lack of merit in the statements.

Just saying... I don't think we are the only two who have run into this.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:50 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,003,951 times
I have never run into this attitude before. I'm actually shocked that it is so 'in your face'. (And I know not everyone is like this). I have even encountered it with Americans in the UK who openly snub me (thankfully the British do NOT behave like this).

The thing is, I have never in my life until the most recent period ever thought about the fact that I am a southerner or my heritage. But the further I am pushed, the more hardened my attitude has become. I will never apologise for being who I am, or where I come from, ever.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:19 AM

3,679 posts, read 1,420,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
i find this an ignorant comment

it's about money right people, it's always about money.

A poor person moving to a high COL place will easily get sucked up into the dynamic and their demographic wont change the lay of the land much.

When people move from a higher COL place to a lower COL they can make much more of a splash compared to the natives and yeah that can breed some resentment. and with money comes attitudes and entitlements....

It's no different than the californication problem happening in the west coast.
Don't get me wrong. But your statement was really stereotypical and is the cause of this resentment. I think of the south as the new melting pot. Northerners, Westerners, Indians, Asians, Latinos, Mexican's, African's etc. come to a area for a better life and bring their perspectives and ideas and these ideas mixed with southern ideals also, this is why the SE is doing so well. But for a southerner to think their ideas is superior to others or vice versa, exacerbates this problem. And the money statement also enhances the problem. Don't be the problem, be the solution.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:44 PM

29,829 posts, read 34,912,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1014 View Post
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, just found it a couple of days ago, and while browsing, it seems that some people from NY that relocated to NC were "Yankee" bashed. I am moving there next month, and when we visited to find our home, everyone seemed very welcoming. We met some of the nicest people who didn't seem to mind at all that we were coming from NY, and exchanged phone numbers with them to get together when we move there. Are we in for a surprise when we go? Do NC people really dislike us Yankees??
Those that don't like us tend to be fewer and more demonstrative and those who accept us just accept us. It varies with the area. In many parts of the state New Yorkers and other from the region are the norm.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:33 PM

22,033 posts, read 27,324,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
I'll add my .02 to this fun thread.

My family (ancestors) have lived in the south as early as 1608 and arrived as late as 1760. Both my father's and mother's families lived in North Carolina before the Revolutionary War. Participated in the Regulator War, the Revolutionary War, Civil War and are of Welsh, Scots-Irish and English ancestry.

Having said that, I have lived in New Orleans for almost a decade, moved away and lived in Scotland for a few years, Washington DC for half a year (and I've done a bit of job searching in the northeast US). I never really believed that northerners could be that bad (and I know its a huge generalisation to say this) but many are. I have (particularly in the latest political climate) that I am probably a racist, inbred, that southerners hate Jewish people, we shouldn't be allowed to be part of the United States..to MY FACE. (I do sound southern, the people in the UK always remark on my accent positively).

Now, I don't dislike or hate anyone including people from up north. But being prejudice against the south and southerners still counts as prejudice. I must add that these recent interactions with Americans from up north has left a very bitter taste in my mouth. (Which is too bad, because despite the fact that I am a southerner, I hate the hot weather here but I'll not be going back up north to search for a job).
Don't feel that it was you or your accent.

Years ago, after college, I was called for a job interview in North Jersey. I had not applied to them. They asked an agency that I was registered with to speak to me. Shortly after arriving, the interviewer launched into an attack, calling me a farmer, a moron, & I don't remember the rest. I told him that I had never lived on a farm, currently lived in the Philadelphia suburbs to which he responded -That's the big farm town!, & that I had formerly lived in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Then he started screaming that I was a hick & went on & on, getting absolutely red in the face. Finally, when he finished, I told him & it was obvious that I was not going to be considered & since he had asked to interview me, & since he could see where I lived, I thought that it said something about him that he wasted my time & gas money. I then told him that I would tell the agency about his performance & left.

It wasn't you. It wasn't where you're from. Some people are just graceless. That was not the only time that I was contacted by someone from North Jersey & they went off on me for living in South Jersey, but that was the most memorable.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:51 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,559,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Don't feel that it was you or your accent.

Years ago, after college, I was called for a job interview in North Jersey. I had not applied to them. They asked an agency that I was registered with to speak to me. Shortly after arriving, the interviewer launched into an attack, calling me a farmer, a moron, & I don't remember the rest. I told him that I had never lived on a farm, currently lived in the Philadelphia suburbs to which he responded -That's the big farm town!, & that I had formerly lived in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Then he started screaming that I was a hick & went on & on, getting absolutely red in the face. Finally, when he finished, I told him & it was obvious that I was not going to be considered & since he had asked to interview me, & since he could see where I lived, I thought that it said something about him that he wasted my time & gas money. I then told him that I would tell the agency about his performance & left.

It wasn't you. It wasn't where you're from. Some people are just graceless. That was not the only time that I was contacted by someone from North Jersey & they went off on me for living in South Jersey, but that was the most memorable.
If it was a sales position maybe he was testing you to see if you were too sensitive to work in that geographical area. They are pretty blunt with each other and N. NJ is no place for a snowflake, at least not when I was there on a more regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina