Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 07:12 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times

Advertisements

Rhode Island isn't losing population at the moment.

https://www.wpri.com/politics/ri-pop...ear/1666572361
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 04:22 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
While technically it isn’t losing population, it’s grown like 1% this century in a country that’s grown 17%. It’s all but losing population. That said, it did gain a reverse transplant from here as my cousin is going to RISD now.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:51 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Rhode Island isn't losing population at the moment.

https://www.wpri.com/politics/ri-pop...ear/1666572361
good for RHODE ISLAND, as long as they don't revise this year down like they had to do last year's figure.

Not sure how germane that is in this forum, unless previously in the thread its' been claimed Rhode Island is dying off. Seems to me RI would be a great place to live - in the urbanized NE, a short trip to NYC or Boston, lots of coastal area, and an outsized US government representation for the population size.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:29 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
People from up north are yankees. Damn Yankees come down south and stay.
I was a teenager here before I knew that "Damn Yankee" was two words.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:23 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,867,350 times
Is there a real and genuine difference between yankee, and damn yankee?

I am from western NY (7hours from NYC for reference) and do not think or act anything like a stereotypical snobby new Yorker. In fact I loathe ny and what it has become. I cant wait until I can relocate my family down south.

I fully expect I may be met with a little skepticism and maybe have to prove myself (i am fearful there are too many stereotypical new Yorkers who have relocated South before me) who have left had impressions.

My wife and I want to know if we will ever be given a fair chance to be accepted in a community. We don't mind a little friendly Yankee ribbing in good nature but don't want to constantly be viewed with disdain specifically based on just "being from ny" because I certainly don't feel it identify as being a stereotypical Yankee.

My roommate after boot camp (was from Alabama) and he joked I was the first Yankee he met that he liked. And he also got me hooked on country music ever since. I generally like most every southern I meet.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:35 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Is there a real and genuine difference between yankee, and damn yankee?

I am from western NY (7hours from NYC for reference) and do not think or act anything like a stereotypical snobby new Yorker. In fact I loathe ny and what it has become. I cant wait until I can relocate my family down south.

I fully expect I may be met with a little skepticism and maybe have to prove myself (i am fearful there are too many stereotypical new Yorkers who have relocated South before me) who have left had impressions.

My wife and I want to know if we will ever be given a fair chance to be accepted in a community. We don't mind a little friendly Yankee ribbing in good nature but don't want to constantly be viewed with disdain specifically based on just "being from ny" because I certainly don't feel it identify as being a stereotypical Yankee.

My roommate after boot camp (was from Alabama) and he joked I was the first Yankee he met that he liked. And he also got me hooked on country music ever since. I generally like most every southern I meet.
Most often, if a person is likable, they can fit in and be welcomed, and that doesn't just include in the areas that have lots of Yankee transplants (i.e. Cary/Raleigh, Charlotte, Wilmington, Pinehurst, etc.). I've known people from up north who have felt very much at home in parts of the state that have many more natives and are slower paced than the areas that have more of a hybrid NC/non-NC culture where an NC native may actually be in the minority.

If they aren't accepted, it's most often because they are snobby or act like they or where they are from is better than who they around and where they are. But that would be the case if someone from NC moved to NYC and spouted off about how dreadful everything and everyone in NYC was. It doesn't go over well regardless of who is doing it and where they're doing it.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:26 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
good for RHODE ISLAND, as long as they don't revise this year down like they had to do last year's figure.

Not sure how germane that is in this forum, unless previously in the thread its' been claimed Rhode Island is dying off. Seems to me RI would be a great place to live - in the urbanized NE, a short trip to NYC or Boston, lots of coastal area, and an outsized US government representation for the population size.
I remember the end of Labor Day Weekend on Cape Cod driving my friend back to RI. We sat in a diner on the morning of Labor Day and it was in the 50s already, an ominous harbinger of the next 7-8 months of cold weather.

Warm weather is limited to a 4 month box at best, that's strike 1.

Then there's the long legacy of corruption and poor fiscal management by the state that is a hindrance to new investment.

But hey with Global Warming it's possible that Northern states may experience a 2nd influx of people one day.

Old 01-25-2020, 01:03 PM

4 posts, read 3,176 times
If you knew what we knew. And the stories we knew. And the experiences we had growing up in such a paradise of a state.... You would not like yourselves either. You could do whatever the hell you wanted, talk to whoever you wanted, **** wherever you wanted. People looked out for each other, helped each other... just good down to earth down home simple people. There were no crowds of people constantly harping change and having to constantly have some new bar/grocery store/god knows what... and best of all shoving diversity down our throats like it was something we had to have. Now NO ONE gets along.

North Carolina was a breath of fresh air and the powers at be with the help of people from the Northeast ruined it.

Old 01-25-2020, 06:20 PM

569 posts, read 341,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPack91 View Post
If you knew what we knew. And the stories we knew. And the experiences we had growing up in such a paradise of a state.... You would not like yourselves either. You could do whatever the hell you wanted, talk to whoever you wanted, **** wherever you wanted. People looked out for each other, helped each other... just good down to earth down home simple people. There were no crowds of people constantly harping change and having to constantly have some new bar/grocery store/god knows what... and best of all shoving diversity down our throats like it was something we had to have. Now NO ONE gets along.

North Carolina was a breath of fresh air and the powers at be with the help of people from the Northeast ruined it.
I don't understand what you are saying. North Carolina has historically been considered a progressive southern state, with a top notch university system. Unfortunately, the current legislature has tried to undo some of the things that make this state enjoy such a positive reputation, but that will end shortly.

Unless you are from Mayberry, the state that I know doesn't match your sentiments. There's a reason that North Carolina is one of the fastest growing states in the US.

Old 01-26-2020, 04:35 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPack91 View Post

Hate to break it to you, but Aunt Bea, Barney and Sheriff Andy are dead. The 50's aren't coming back. Change is good. Stasis is death! North Carolina has nearly outgrown all of the old stereotypes of the old South! It's a much better place than it used to be. Richer and better educated. That's a big plus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina