U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 09:15 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,448,738 times

Advertisements

You know, close to 10 years ago I was assigned to Keesler AFB in Biloxi. Being from Jersey, my young husband and myself were terrified of going to MS. Terrified. Boith sets of parents insisted that I do something to get a change in my orders -- not even remotely possible.

Anyway, we arrive in Biloxi, and when I say that my experience there was wonderful, that's an understatement. I miss it every day. We were concerned not just because we were Yankees, but we worried that because of the color of our skin, we would be subjected to all kinds of racial intolerances. And the exact opposite happened.

We made many, many friends and acquaintances, many of them native to MS. We encountered no more prejudices than we currently do in Jersey. In fact, it was just the opposite, people were extra kind. I always wondered if there was a need for the folks we met to go above and beyond, to prove that this was the new south, that they understood and accepted that people are simply people and should be judged on their individual merits.

No one held it against us that we were Yankees, although we got plenty of funny stares or laughs when we opened our mouths. People loved commenting that we "talked funny." No one held it against us that we were a mixed race family. However, keep in mind that Biloxi is accustomed to a military community therefore, is used to a large population of "outsiders."

SL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2006, 10:35 AM

152 posts, read 440,983 times
Thanks for all the feedback. When we were with our real estate agent last month in Greensboro, she laughed at the we said some things and she told us we would have to get used to saying "y'all", instead of "use guys", LOL. I think she got a kick most out the "fuhgetabout it". And we find ourselves joking around now about the y'all thing. We had a lot of fun in Greensboro and went to a couple of great bars/restaurants and met the nicest people, I was just getting a little worried that it all seemed to good to be true. I live in the most snobbish Long Island town right now, and I can't wait to get away from it all, just didn't want to leave the snobs to get made fun of everyday!!! but then again, I would much rather have some good ole fashion ribbing than this

Old 07-23-2006, 12:24 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,763,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clodhopper
It really comes down to a lack of manners or tact shown by some folks. They probably aren't even aware of their abrasive personality (as perceived by Southerners).

I can tell you this, if you are worried about how others will perceive you, you won't have any problems.

Also, the farther South you go in NC, you will find that everyone residing North of the nearest geographical landmark (usually a river that was the scene of a Civil War battle), is a Yankee.

For instance, here where I live, everyone North of the Tar River is considered a Yankee, no matter that they were born and raised in the Tarheel state.

If I go downt to South Carolina, everyone in North Carolina is pretty much a Yankee.

Because I grew up in Southeastern Va. but moved down to NC about 23 years ago, I am considered the worst type of Yankee....one who moved down and stayed! I'm what is known as a "**** Yankee".

But really the only yankees are those living North of Rocky Mount! See how it works?
Clod, pretty interesting stuff, particularly NCians are viewed to some degree as "northerners" by SCians- got to love it

Anyway, I assume the "**** Yankee" is the equivalent of "Darn Yankees" (replacing darn with another popular variant of the word). I now have better insight into the rock group "Darn Yankees" (I'll use "DY" from now on). I'll actually start a different thread so I don't de-rail this thread anymore

Old 07-23-2006, 12:31 PM

12,023 posts, read 28,322,455 times
I think its all in how you treat others. My mom used to say "treat others as you would have them treat you". If you are friendly and open and don't keep saying "well, in NY we did it this way"...you'll have no trouble!!! Vicki

Old 07-23-2006, 12:33 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,639,673 times
lol, this is true. Most South Carolinians I know definitely consider North Carolinians yankees - maybe not in a literal way, but in a poking-fun sort of way.

Right before I moved, I told my dentist I was moving to North Carolina. He said, "Now don't you go turning into a yankee, okay?"

Old 07-23-2006, 05:30 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,198,321 times
Default Identity crisis!

I am confused as to what my husband will be considered when we make our move to NC . I was born in Chicago and lived there for 18 years then moved to Hollywood, Fl. where I have lived for the last 35 years. I always considered myself a midwesterner and dang if I still don't refer to Chicago as "home" after all these years. My husband was born in Ohio, lived there for 8 years then went to Colorado Springs for the rest of the time until he enlisted in the Navy. Then spent the last 27 years outside of San Francisco.

What are we????? Of course we are nice people looking for a nice area to semi-retire to. Just want to get along, not make changes and enjoy our new home and neighbors. When we were there in May everyone was extememly nice and right off we enjoyed the slower pace as where we are now is crazy.

Anyway, just lighheartedly curious as to what we will be thought of.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:39 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,900,687 times
What are you?..... Americans.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:49 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,352,638 times
Default Stereotyping

You all might like to read the following article in today's Charlotte Observer (you can either look it up on the newspaper website or I have copied it on the SC forum)

IN MY OPINION / MARY C. CURTIS
Silly stereotyping doesn't stop at Mason-Dixon line

Old 07-23-2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
What are you?..... Americans.
Actually, living in South Florida, that could be debatable.

And that's it. First and foremost. Americans. Just from a lot of different places.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas
You all might like to read the following article in today's Charlotte Observer (you can either look it up on the newspaper website or I have copied it on the SC forum)

IN MY OPINION / MARY C. CURTIS
Silly stereotyping doesn't stop at Mason-Dixon line
Great article. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina