U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:47 PM

73 posts, read 62,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
interesting. I am not from CLT but am from NC and we never called it pop. Times are a changing I tell ya.
A coke is a coke is a coke....unless it's a cold drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 11:30 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,895,626 times
I say soda, soft drink or just "drink". Always have.

As for ice cream, we call it ice cream. What else would we call it? lol

Old 05-17-2007, 05:00 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,285,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
interesting. I am not from CLT but am from NC and we never called it pop. Times are a changing I tell ya.
Who still calls it "pop"??? What is this, 1956??

Let's go to the malt shop after school.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:48 PM

549 posts, read 2,189,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Who still calls it "pop"??? What is this, 1956??

Let's go to the malt shop after school.
Normaly the 35+ crowd who grew up in a different time when speach patterns were not as diluted as they are today with globalization. At the same token I see little children call it "pop". The way a person speaks has to do alot with their environment they grew up in. I went to school with kids who would call their mother "Mamie" with so much endearment.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:26 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,347,907 times
Quote:
Normaly the 35+ crowd who grew up in a different time when speach patterns were not as diluted as they are today with globalization. At the same token I see little children call it "pop". The way a person speaks has to do alot with their environment they grew up in.
LOL, explain my daughter then. She grew up in AL/GA the first 15 years of her life and everyone around her called it "coke" or a soft drink.

Then we moved to MI and everyone there, regardless of age, calls it "pop". So she started...I guess to fit in.

My point is, she did not call it pop in her younger years and did not grow up in an environment that used the term. However, she chose to use the word pop as a teen.

She is now an adult and on her own, living back in AL...she gets strange looks calling it pop now. She's unlearning a learned behavior. Liz

Old 05-17-2007, 05:18 PM

956 posts, read 4,072,347 times
Thank you for clarifying it for folks. It was driving me nuts readeing the posts. I grew up in MI and knew that you meant your daughtor picked up "pop" when you left the South for Michigan.
Interestingly-Did 17 years Down South before moving to NYC. The folks I hear say "pop" are from the Great Lakes areas like Upstate NY, Ohio, Mi. etc.
They say Soda here in NYC. That is if they are speaking English.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:29 AM

20 posts, read 100,291 times
The bigger cities in NC have a lot of trans-plant yankees who disgrace the term "drink" or "cold drink" with the word "pop" or "soda".

You will hear "lets get a cold drink and a pack of nabs" occasionally in the western part of the state. This was the way people talked. Nabs are a pack of crackers or the like.

As far as northerners being dis-liked, this usually only happens to the ones who come down and immediately tell us how much better things were done up north, then proceed to try to change things. We feel that if things were that great up there, why didn't you stay.

People who try to get along with everyone and learn the vastly different lifestyle of the smaller rual towns will have no problems with the locals.

I have ran into much prejudice when I would go up north because of my southern drawl. Many people thought I was a dumb redneck. People are people, and all have some pre-conceived ideas of others.

I try to stay south of the Va line anymore, and do not miss the many times I was north of the George Wallace Bridge, I mean George Washington Bridge.

No one has been uncouth enough to tell you the truth about yankees, so I guess I will.

A yankee is someone who comes down here, visits, spends some money, and goes home. A Dam* Yankee is one who comes down here, and stays.

Come on down, you are just as welcome here as we are up there..... I don't know if I should have said that or not.

Really, we like to make fun of everyone, especially ourselves.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:27 AM

73 posts, read 62,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyMe View Post
A yankee is someone who comes down here, visits, spends some money, and goes home. A Dam* Yankee is one who comes down here, and stays.
This post will probably be removed by the (over)moderators on this board, but I want everyone who reads this to know that the quote above is a very old and very popular saying among Southerners.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:31 AM

52 posts, read 178,182 times
I agree. I think it is just basically the person or people and how they act in the new place. If you are going to be snobbish and look down on the place that you moved to then of course people aren't going to be as nice to you. I met a lot of people from other states when they moved here (MI) for school and when they started bashing the state, the people and everything else that they could think of I wasn't really inclined to be nice to them or help them out when they needed something or help. So if you are a friendly person and open to meeting people and aren't complaining about how it is here then I don't think the locals are going to bashing you or calling you a yankee and thinking less of you.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:34 AM

52 posts, read 178,182 times
Default pop

Us Michiganians call it pop - because we are probably thinking like the 1950's still and it shows...but that's just the way it is here - I've heard it all different ways - soda, soda pop, coke, soft drink, etc and don't pay that much attention to it, if anything it is something interesting not weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina