Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 05:01 PM

14 posts, read 35,630 times

Advertisements

AS a future Yankee Transplant I have to say I resent what seems to be bashing and putting the blame for all problems on the shoulders of yankee's.
It seems we are to blame for everything from overcrowded schools to Starbuck's opening.
I live in a very rural part of Maine and although people moving here from away certainly has helped increase the population growth and expantion is going to happen no mater if people move here or not.
Also to say that it is only those yankees riding there wheelers with total disregard is preposterous. I dont care where you live or where your neighbors are from there will always be disrespectful people and they aren't only the yankees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 03:56 PM

9 posts, read 23,969 times
There are big differnces in Northern and Southern people, their cultures, religion, education, motivation. I find that Southern people are very defensive about being different -you do not find the same attitude such as ..why don't you talk like this, say this , think this way. " It is a little more free as far as expression and tolerance in the North.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:20 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,918,558 times
margarethe, your opinion is informed by what exactly?

Old 09-12-2009, 05:26 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,162,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianandkim View Post
.....I live in a very rural part of Maine ......
My guess is that most Southerners would not consider you a Yankee. It has less to do with the geography that most think.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:45 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,865,795 times
There was a cartoon and book that popular when I was young called "the magic school bus". there was one character who was constantly going on about "in my old school we did this" or "in my old school we'd never do it like that or do that". That's the attitude that makes a "yankee". In addition to the ones that look down on natives with some sort of superiority complex. That act like visiting NC is like visiting a third world country and everything so "quaint". I saw the latter alot gorowing up on the coast from out-of-state tourist, or often even those from raleigh.

I have a few friends, family, and acquaintances from new England who have made Carolina their home and have never had a problem being accepted. I've also seen people come down with that "magic school bus" attitude and found southern hostility instead of hospitality.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:46 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,725,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
My guess is that most Southerners would not consider you a Yankee. It has less to do with the geography that most think.
Huh?? Maine folks are the original "Yankees"--they even call themselves that! Yankee magazine is about New England.

But it could be that what you mean is the derogatory tone said sometimes about "Yankees" is generally used referring to folks from the NYC/NJ metro area, with the stereotype about loud, rude folks with funny accents who talk like Fran Drescher? In that case, Mainers would not be the stereotypical "Yankees" that many longtime Southerners disdain, as you say.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:07 PM

444 posts, read 1,139,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Probably depends on WHERE in NC you're going. A very conserative rural area, small town or "exclusive" suburb is one thing....the downtown funky core of a major city is another. Us city folks usually love the Yankees!!!
Fail

Old 09-12-2009, 06:19 PM

444 posts, read 1,139,519 times
You probably wont have a problem with being bashed as a yankee because let me guess...You are moving to either Charlotte or Raliegh where there are almost 2/3 yankees to natives. Or if you are moving somewhere more rural, than just treat everybody as you would yourself. Golden rule.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:23 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,666,342 times
Haven't read the entire thread, but here are some OPINIONS from little ole me.

Most "yankee bashing" is tongue in cheek. By far most.

What moves it beyond tongue and cheek are:

"schools were so much better where we used to live" -- taxes were higher, too.

"in my old neighborhood we did it this way." This is not your old neighborhood

"why do you talk funny?" You talk funny, not me.

"you can't get good pizza in the south" Then eat que.

and the most common, and most offensive: the brash, uncultured, unmannered actions of those from, regrettably, the NE part of the US (that would be NJ and above. Frequently on the road, in conversation, etc. This behavior, delivered in a "foreign" accent, really is tell-tale and will get eyes rolling every time.

As you can see, you, or any yankee can control ALL of the points that tend to set us Southerners off. You are in control. It is your choice.

lln

Old 09-12-2009, 07:41 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,162,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Huh?? Maine folks are the original "Yankees"--they even call themselves that! Yankee magazine is about New England.....
Not the same meaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina