Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 11:30 AM

63 posts, read 210,491 times

Advertisements

I've been reading through previous threads to get some Ideas on what everyone else who is moving to the area is doing.
I have found and fell in love with a house in Franklin County. My current job had a position I could have relocated too, but it has since been filled with the long drawn out house buying process.
I am a first time home buyer I currently rent my home in NJ. I've seen people mention saying the home you are buying in NC is a vacation home until they find work in the area. Has this worked out for anyone? How do you work the interviews?
When buying the home there and living in your own state, how did you work out inspections and closing costs? How did you even get the realtor to call you the heck back I've called numerous times and the only time I got a response was when I didn't mention the property I was looking at. LOL.
When I mentioned it I got some information and told I'd be called back with more from a different agent and get someone to talk to me about a mortgage, I never got the call.
I've since gone through WellsFargo to get my pre-approval, which I should have by this Thursday so that I can make an offer on the property I am interested in.
I picked up a paper last weekend when I was down to look at the property (with out the realtor) and saw that there are many jobs in my field and making close enough to what I make so that I could live the same there as here.
Anyone have any info on the vacation home angle? So I can use the address to put on the resume to get a job in the area? If you do go for the interview and get the job, what do you do about the "valid NC driver's license" part of the application?
Thanks to anyone that can help me out.
I hope I can get the home and move down to this lovely state
Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2006, 12:41 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,844,026 times
You might want to try a mortgage broker to get a cheaper interest rate than Wells Fargo, I have found they are very high in interest and come back with low amounts to fund.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:49 PM

693 posts, read 2,755,001 times
what do you consider to be a very high interest rate

Old 07-23-2006, 02:54 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,621,243 times
Whne we bought here my husband had to have a job here we didnt qualify for an investment property, i am selling my home now as we have to relocate to az I have never had a problem getting realtors to call back but if you need a good one I can give you a name and number.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
what do you consider to be a very high interest rate
Do you need funding? Anything above 1% what everyone else will loan out is.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1
Whne we bought here my husband had to have a job here we didnt qualify for an investment property, i am selling my home now as we have to relocate to az I have never had a problem getting realtors to call back but if you need a good one I can give you a name and number.
They usually want more down. This is the reason many just say it is their house and have the bills sent there too...lol! It's funny to here a renter tell his landlord he has mail for him

Old 07-23-2006, 09:33 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,138,591 times
I'm checking to see if gregsbabe1 has my name and number!!!

Old 07-24-2006, 04:49 PM

63 posts, read 210,491 times
thanks guys. The reason I went with Wells Fargo, is because I thought they would be able to get me an approval for anywhere in the US. Most people were telling me that I would have to be pre-approved in NC only and if that fell through and I had to stay in jersey I would have to get re-pre-approved to buy a home here.
(First time home buyer so please bear with me)
we're counting on a lot of things falling into place for us, first the pre-approval, so we can make the offer before someone else does, then for me to get a transferr and if that falls through I'll have to get a new job in NC.
That's why I asked about the vacation home angle, I would still want the house and pay for it from up here until I got a job down there. (if that makes sense?

Old 07-24-2006, 06:39 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,138,591 times
A first time home buyer without a Realtor? Ok...I'm NOT advertising but I wouldn't go there!!! Vicki

Old 07-24-2006, 09:53 PM

676 posts, read 3,067,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcatwoman
thanks guys. The reason I went with Wells Fargo, is because I thought they would be able to get me an approval for anywhere in the US. Most people were telling me that I would have to be pre-approved in NC only and if that fell through and I had to stay in jersey I would have to get re-pre-approved to buy a home here.
(First time home buyer so please bear with me)
we're counting on a lot of things falling into place for us, first the pre-approval, so we can make the offer before someone else does, then for me to get a transferr and if that falls through I'll have to get a new job in NC.
That's why I asked about the vacation home angle, I would still want the house and pay for it from up here until I got a job down there. (if that makes sense?
We got our pre-approval from Wells Fargo and received a loan at 6.5% as a first time home buyer. I got my loan from the NC Wells Fargo because I heard it was easier than getting one from your home state. My husband flew out to interview, got the job and then had his new job write him up a contract to give to the bank. I think what really helped us was having the 20% down. I found my realtor on the internet! I was scared at first, but I asked for a NC relo packet to be sent to me and she followed up with a phone call. After a few more calls and emails, I got a good feeling from her and went with it. I was 100% honest that we may be a lot of work with no gain if my husband doesn't get his job. She understood and still showed him 15 houses in 2 days. The day he got the job, we put an offer and got the house. She then gave us referrals for home inspector, home owners insurance, attorney, even the carpet cleaner! It was actually a lot easier than we thought it would be. We were only in NC for a week to interview and look at houses. Everything else was done via phone or email. I was never given the details about how to do the vacation or investment property, but my loan agent said things can be done to make it work. I would ask your local bank loan agent to see what he/she suggests. It may be easier to make the move to a rental for 6 months because you may find a better house that way and a neighborhood closer to your work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina