U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:20 AM

74 posts, read 178,624 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I was hoping to get some suggestions from people with a good knowledge of NC. I currently live in Ohio and I want to buy a few acres of land (3-5) near or right outside a major city hub. I plan to eventually build a house on the acreage, but before I even take the step to buy the land I want to spend a year or two scoping out prospective areas.

What Iím looking for in a city hub: Ethnic diversity, thriving art and culture scene, decent nightlife, good variety of stores and shops, good medical centers, located 30 minutes or less from a major highway.

What Iím looking for in land: Wooded lots, cheap to fair price per acre, low property taxes (I'm paying 2.75% of property value here in Ohio which is high to me), can be secluded because Iíll save all my social activities for trips to the city, located 30 minutes Ė one hour from the city hub described above.

My price range for the 3-5 acres Iím seeking is up to $25,000 but I will gladly go much lower if the property is not in a crime ridden or blight stricken area. For example, I found a listing for 10 timbered acres for $11,000, but the property was located in Robeson County, which I have been advised to avoid.

If any of you have counties or cities that you think should be AVOIDED at all cost, Iíll take that information too.

Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 08:36 PM

21,093 posts, read 23,946,764 times
financially independent? employment not a concern?

Asheville, Charlotte, Winston-Salem (Triad area) or Raleigh (Triangle area) are all possibiliities.

Do not believe Robeson County meets the criteria for bring near a "city hub."

Old 12-12-2009, 09:00 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,624,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perihelion2010 View Post
Hi all, I was hoping to get some suggestions from people with a good knowledge of NC. I currently live in Ohio and I want to buy a few acres of land (3-5) near or right outside a major city hub. I plan to eventually build a house on the acreage, but before I even take the step to buy the land I want to spend a year or two scoping out prospective areas.

What Iím looking for in a city hub: Ethnic diversity, thriving art and culture scene, decent nightlife, good variety of stores and shops, good medical centers, located 30 minutes or less from a major highway.

What Iím looking for in land: Wooded lots, cheap to fair price per acre, low property taxes (I'm paying 2.75% of property value here in Ohio which is high to me), can be secluded because Iíll save all my social activities for trips to the city, located 30 minutes Ė one hour from the city hub described above.

My price range for the 3-5 acres Iím seeking is up to $25,000 but I will gladly go much lower if the property is not in a crime ridden or blight stricken area. For example, I found a listing for 10 timbered acres for $11,000, but the property was located in Robeson County, which I have been advised to avoid.

If any of you have counties or cities that you think should be AVOIDED at all cost, Iíll take that information too.

Thanks for the help
So you are willing to be up to an hour away from the city? Because you won't get real close to a city without finding areas that have a lot more restrictions than you want to deal with (according to your last thread about living more off grid). To find the cheapest land with the least restrictions you'll need more rural counties - not the ones closest to the cities.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:37 PM

9,570 posts, read 27,068,571 times
I think you will be hard pressed to find an acre of land, let alone 3-5 acres of land within 30 minutes of a Major City in NC at that price range. Places like Charlotte and Raleigh attract lots of people, land that cheap is not easy to come by close to the city. You are talking about much more rural living for land at that price range.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:05 AM

4,677 posts, read 8,058,899 times
What do y'all think about just outside of the sandhills area near Greenville or Jacksonville? You would be centrally located near the coast and near some decent size cities like Jacksonville, Greenville, Wilmington, and Fayetteville. Perhaps near New Bern? And you're still a couple hours away from Raleigh for weekend trips. Just thinking.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:56 AM

21,093 posts, read 23,946,764 times
Default Access to culture is not cheap

May be less wooded and more open, but Wilmington is an option.
Still, looking for land that is less than $5000 an acre is gonna put you a good hour or more out from a hub, unless you see a place like Warrenton as being a city hub with diversity and cultural appeal..

I see you wanna get away and work on your art?

Then you might seriously look at one of the many artist communities..

Seagrove

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seagrove,_North_Carolina

Marshall (in the mountains and might not offer the winter get away)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall,_North_Carolina

Anywhere on the coast. Really look at Greenville, Jacksonville and Wilmington.

http://www.obx.com/area-information/obxtras/87-an-artists-colony.html (broken link)

Revisit your need for 5 acres and look at a trailer near the coast for $30K--$75K as a possible artist get away..

Of course the location will ultimately depend on what your "ART" is in deciding where you want to be..

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 12-13-2009 at 07:09 AM..

Old 12-13-2009, 08:43 AM

Question What do you think of these prices / areas?

Thanks all for the responses:

Income: I am stacking my chips, socking away what I can. If I'm able to procure the property in the next 5 years I would spend a few weeks on it per year, mostly in the winter to escape Ohio. If my life plan works I will be making enough from my art sales within 5 years to be able to quit the corporate job and support myself on a modest income from my art alone.

Distance: I've revisited my requirement for being one hour away from a large city and have upped my price for acreage into the $30,000 range, with that in mind, can you all give me your opinions on the following searches? Are they duds, rip-offs, fairly priced? How about the areas in which they are located? I don't mind living in a rural area, I just don't want to live in a blighted, high-crime rural area. I'm also concerned about being near large scale livestock farms because of pollution of ground water,etc...

zthatzmanz28 - thanks for the awesome artist oriented list! I've included a search for areas near Seagrove just out of curiosity. I need a few acres because I'm treating this as an investment in my future retirement landing place. Having grown up in congested inner-city Cleveland I just have this "need" to have at least 1 or 2 acres around me. My aim is to find the Golden Middle between what I desire and what's actually attainable.

SEARCH RESULTS:

1.13 Acres - Ramseur, RANDOLPH County, North Carolina - $20,000

2.55 Acres - Liberty, Randolph County, North Carolina - $22,000

2.67 Acres - Oxford, Granville County, North Carolina - $12,500

3.76 Acres - Lake Lure, Rutherford County, North Carolina - $16,000

6.4 Acres - Kinston, Lenoir County, North Carolina - $35,000

3.09 Acres - Henderson, Vance County, North Carolina - $7,900

3.49 Acres - Madison, Rockingham County, North Carolina - $27,900

7.18 Acres - Havelock, Craven County, North Carolina - $35,900

3.63 Acres - Benson, Johnston County, North Carolina - $30,000

6.67 Acres - Siler City, Chatham County, North Carolina - $24,000

2.29 Acres - Lincolnton, Lincoln County, North Carolina - $20,000

2.6 Acres - Sea Level, Carteret County, North Carolina - $35,000

Old 12-13-2009, 10:47 AM

9,570 posts, read 27,068,571 times
I'm a little confused. Are you just buying land or are you also looking to build a house to stay in when you come to visit? If you plan to build a house I'm assuming your budget is bigger than $30K for the land and the house.

FWIW, if I was an artist looking for a little space to live out in a more rural setting but still wanted to be within 30-60 minutes of Chapel Hill, Durham, and Raleigh I would look either to Hillsborough and Pittsboro. There are artists out there doing this very thing.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:52 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,831,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
FWIW, if I was an artist looking for a little space to live out in a more rural setting but still wanted to be within 30-60 minutes of Chapel Hill, Durham, and Raleigh I would look either to Hillsborough and Pittsboro. There are artists out there doing this very thing.
Yeah...I was thinking the same thing. I'd even widen that search to include the Seagrove area. That location would put you almost equidistant among the Triangle, Charlotte and the Triad. I have no idea what land costs are out there but it's probably worth exploring.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm a little confused. Are you just buying land or are you also looking to build a house to stay in when you come to visit? If you plan to build a house I'm assuming your budget is bigger than $30K for the land and the house.

Thanks for the suggestions!

This link best describes my goals for the property:
Not rich, just want a few acres for a winter get-away...Bad Idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina