Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 02:15 PM

165 posts, read 884,268 times

Advertisements

Native Californian's are a problem...
If and when somebody asks, tell them you were
very young when you were born.
Then advise that you are originally from NJ, moved to California when you
were a kid. That will get you off the hook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 04:06 PM

460 posts, read 2,421,907 times
When I moved to PA from NJ I got flack. Oh you are from New Joisy. Imagine that they are right next to each other. And what I really loved when I moved to NC was people saying to me, "You are not from around here are you?" How obvious was I with my NJ accent. That was really very rude and I used to get real indignant about it. What difference did it matter if I was FROM around here? If anyone says that to me this time it's not going to be pretty.
I know we do things different up North and I don't say well when I was in.....ever.
I used to say to people who said that to me. "I pay taxes in NC which makes ME from AROUND HERE."

Settle where the good lord plants you and do you best work there.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:14 PM

20 posts, read 109,051 times
NC peoply say " you ain't from around here, are ya" as a joke and icebreaker to get to know the person we are talking to better.

We are not so dumb as to not pick up on a New York accent, or so rude as to say that line to be insulting.

I guess I can see where you might take offense, not knowing how we think, but honestly, we don't say that to be rude.

Any time a new customer came into our store, and we knew when a new one came in, with an obivious accent, we would use that line. This got the new person talking as to where they were from without us thinking ourself rude by coming right out and asking.

After that ice breaking statement we usually made friends, and had a regular customer, who after a few trips in had a nice new nick-name like most of our regulars did.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:18 PM

32 posts, read 246,640 times
Default What do you mean by Asians?

Remember that the high numbers for Raleigh and Chapel Hill include high numbers of south Asian, such as folks from India. Many other places with high concentrations of Asians, do not necessarily have much diversity within that population. The Asian populations in Burke and Catawba counties, for example, consist almost entirely of ethnic Hmongs. In addition, places such as Chapel Hill have abnormally high numbers due to the student population at the university.

That said, the answer to your question really depends on what it is you are looking for. I would say that Raleigh and Charlotte have the most traditional mix of peoples, even within the "Asian" demographic. You might say that those cities are most similar in their mix to those mixes found in Los Angeles, New York and Seattle, albeit on a more limited scale. Chapel Hill is a different story - kind of a place with lots of Asians in the same way that Berkley, CA has a lot of Asians - Students who move on once they graduate. Places like Hickory or Morganton would be be very unlike what I imagine you are referring to. My wife, who is from Japan, feels very foreign there due to the fact that most of the Asians there stare at her trying to figure out where she's from, since she seems obviously different. On the other hand, she feels very comfortable there too because, as an Asian, she doesn't stick out due to the relatively high percentage of population that is Asian. Being commonplace is a comforting thing.

Well, hope that helps.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:23 PM

32 posts, read 246,640 times
Default Anti-Californianism in NC?

In answer to the question about NC folks attitude toward California folks, I, as a former Californian, feel nothing negative (other than an occasional "left coast" west coast kook sort of comment at appropriate times) here. Oregon? I lived there, and I got so tired of the attitude of those folks' toward California that I had to get out.

Actually, I have never found much in terms of Anti-California-ism outside of OR, WA, NV and CO. Seemed to me that folks elsewhere could care less about the golden staters. I sometimes think that Californians tend to think of themselves as more more on the national consciousness than they actually are.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:54 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
Let's see, I am Californian and I have an Asian son. We fit in fine.

Dawn

Old 02-24-2008, 04:53 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,728 times
I think Morrisville has the most asian's per capita. That place has a lot of Indian-Americans...since India is in Asia they count towards that percentage.

Asian Indian (4.4%)
Chinese (1.9%)
Korean (0.7%)
Japanese (0.7%)
Filipino (0.5%)

Cary has..

Asian Indian (3.5%)
Chinese (2.3%)
Korean (0.6%)
Vietnamese (0.6%)
Other Asian (0.5%)

Old 06-19-2009, 02:08 AM

1 posts, read 7,220 times
I just can't stop my self. I live in Florida and Floridians love NC. I am flabbergasted that someone is so out of touch to think that all 9 million residents of NC would have a problem with Californians,,, GROW A New Brain!

Old 06-19-2009, 07:09 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,984,771 times
Fayetteville has a large Korean population. Very active in the business community.

We also have a large Filipino community so big we support two fil-am civic organizations.

Lots of Thais and other southeast asians.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:53 AM

310 posts, read 672,685 times
I'm not too ashamed that people feel that they need to ask that, as the unwelcoming attitudes and what have you are just a reaction to what another poster described perfectly: People coming here and telling us how backward and wrong we are and how ignorant and not as progressive as their last place of residence by comparison. It's not that we don't want you here, far from it! I welcome friendly newcomers with open arms! I and many other natives have just become a little cynical and jaded I suppose, and at some point we all got tired of *SOME* transplants coming here and telling us how our way of life wasn't good enough. I also heartily dislike the way people from California vote when they move here. Very heartily. But that's a political issue, not a personal one and you're entitled to vote however you want. (I'm moving anyway, hehe goodbye ridiculous NC gas tax!) I'll close with this: Welcome to North Carolina, we're happy to have ya here as long as you're happy to BE here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina