U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:13 PM

4 posts, read 8,037 times
If you are looking for diversity, then Mt. Airy is NOT the place, trust me, I have lived here for 18 years!! There are no jobs here, the economy continues to decline and the most exciting thing to do here is gossip about your neighbors. My husband and I are actually relocating as we speak before we go crazy. Yes, the cost of living is low here, but thats because there are no jobs, unless you want to work at wal mart or mcdonalds and make minimum wage and get on food stamps, or open up a little store that is "Mayberry" themed so tourists can ask you about Andy and Opie. Mount Airy has evolved into a tourist/retirement town, so if you want to retire or know of anyone who is going to, then I would reccomend Mt. Airy!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,525 times
Smile Great area to semi-retire

I do not know your husbands hobbies, but golf is great in the area. I lived in Mount Airy for 14 years and left 4 years ago to return home to Alabama. I miss the4 seasons and the great people. Winston-Salem should provide opportunity for you in the healthcare industry. The arts are also great in WS and Greensboro.

I visited MT Airy last summer and it has becomevery touristy, but he people are still very friendly. If I were moving back, I would probably look at the King area just because of proximatity to healthcare, shopping, and entertainment in WS.

If you move anywhere in the area, check out Cross Creek Country Club. Membership is very reasonable and they offer a not-resident rate for anyone over 15 or 20 miles from club. That would include the King area.

Good luck

Old 05-19-2007, 09:00 AM

9 posts, read 34,898 times
Default Mt Airy NC

Any info on "MayBerry" would be appreciated!

Old 05-19-2007, 09:14 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,940,588 times
Exclamation Merged Duplicate Threads

Other recent Mount Airy topics merged with new post just above (scroll back).

Old 10-16-2007, 12:01 PM

5 posts, read 13,321 times
Default Mt. Airy

I think Mt. Airy is BACKWARDS and not for anyone who is looking for diversity. I've never seen a place like this. How do people live like this? If you're not the 'norm', you won't fit in. My husband and I have 2 children and it seems like it's very 'low income' in this small town. We just went to the 'fall festival' and boy was that a sight to see. I don't think I've ever seen more people wearing 'rebel' shirts. What happen to diversity? YIKES! I think it was more scary than anything!
I am so glad we came and saw.. I'm even more happy we left and will NEVER come back. I want my kids to know more than what this place has to offer. That's for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina