U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-17-2009, 09:57 AM

31 posts, read 47,489 times

Advertisements

Child is 8, diagnosed PDD, and has needs for a Self Contained classroom and we are a family in tears for a supportive community. I called NC Autism society, they are "not allowed" to tell us where is the best. We are trying to move to the Triangle area and need answers. We don't want to be in a school situation where there are no self contained classrooms. We don't want a situation where they are completely ignorant about autism, and stare at us parents, like, "what the hell went wrong with your parenting..?!"!!! Please, can someone who lives in the area with an autistic child give some input as to where seems to be the best place, with support? PLease? I am begging for some assistance on this. I live in MI and am finding it hard to navigate over there..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 03:36 PM

7,698 posts, read 10,494,822 times
Doesn't a school district have to provide for special needs by federal law (IDEA)?

Old 12-22-2009, 07:51 AM

8,051 posts, read 9,794,960 times
While test driving a car this weekend in Cary, I think I drove by a special school for Autistic children. It was near MacGregor Village off HWY 64W. Can anyone in that area confirm?

Old 12-22-2009, 09:04 AM

3,230 posts, read 3,892,259 times
I keep seeing your post and wishing I could help. Here's an idea: Support and Information for Autism Spectrum Disorder | AutismLink. I looked at the activities for NC and saw that there was a yoga class for kids with autism in Durham. If you contacted them or someone else on the list, they might put you in contact with someone who knows the school situation in Durham. There's also something in Wake County.

Have you talked to someone from Durham County Schools? They should be able to tell you what their programs are like. Autism is quite common. You may feel that you're alone, but there are many other parents dealing with this, too. Maybe they're too busy with the kids to see your pleas.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:45 PM

455 posts, read 656,046 times
For some reason, I believe that Chapel hill or Durham drew in a lot of families supporting an autistic family member, because of the various educational and clinical support/research available.

If I run into where I heard this, I'll post it.

Anyone else know how to verify or rebut my opinion?

Old 12-22-2009, 07:53 PM

972 posts, read 1,295,514 times
TEACCH has several regional locations throughout NC for extra support: http://www.teacch.com
Do you mind sharing why you think your child needs a self-contained classroom? My child also has PDD-NOS, but we have always had him mainstreamed with supports when needed. I guess what I am asking is if there are intellectual disabilities as well. If not, then I wonder if a self-contained classroom is really what is needed.

Last edited by msm_teacher; 12-22-2009 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: clean up link, I hope

Old 01-21-2010, 07:13 AM

Default Thank you

Yes, he is cognitively impared, he had brain damage when he was born due to lack of oxygen. He is VERY rude and disruptive and goes completely nuts in a regular classroom. I just posted another heading thread, hoping someone might understand the question, I mainly geared it towards parents with DD children. Maybe this will work to get an answer? Thanks for trying to help.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Doesn't a school district have to provide for special needs by federal law (IDEA)?
This is the case, but schools in Michigan try to find loopholes to appeal to state budget and are making you fight tooth and nail to get needs met and laws abided by. Aside from the lack of support already, this means that you have to find time to get a legal advocate or a lawyer to get needs met. This is why we are moving away. Sorry, I understand and see a lot of people upset about "newcomers", but our family is being torn apart here in Michigan because of this.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:46 AM
GPC

990 posts, read 1,530,338 times
Wow, I can fell your intense frustration just reading your posts. My family is moving to Cary at the end of June. I have four boys, three of which have various developmental issues. If you move near me, I'd love to meet you and your family. It would be nice to have a friend who understands what our lives are like. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:10 AM

Thank you, its nice to have someone to relate to. Are you moving from Michigan, or another state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina