U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2007, 09:02 AM

375 posts, read 714,760 times

Advertisements

As I've mentioned before, I am considering moving to NC shortly. I was told by an ex-NCer that Cabarrus County and Kannapolis county offer low property taxes and some diverisity in regards to ethnicities living in the area.
Can anyone in the know chime in?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 09:21 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,654,320 times
Hi there,

Kannapolis is a city in Cabarrus county. I live in Mecklenburg (Charlotte) so I don't have firsthand knowledge but I think the area is diverse. According to the Census Bureau estimates from 2005.

Quote:
White persons 82.9% (NC)74.1%
Black persons 14.5% (NC)21.8%
American Indian and Alaska Native 0.4% (NC)1.3%
Asian persons 1.3% (NC)1.8%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander 0.0% (NC)0.1%
Persons reporting two or more races 0.8% (NC)1.0%
Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin 7.6% (NC)6.4%
White persons not Hispanic 75.7% (NC)68.3%

Old 05-20-2007, 10:03 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,383,253 times
I live in Cabbarus Co. People of all types get along well here. My younger son and I were at Concord Mills Mall the other day and we had commented that we probably say every race of person there is (white, black, asian, hispanic, aribic, even a group of Amish. It's a great area!

Old 05-20-2007, 10:17 AM

Thanks to both of you!

In regards to property taxes, what is considered the highest and the lowest for these areas?

Old 05-20-2007, 10:35 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,383,253 times
Not sure what it is in the city of Kannapolis (you can google it and find out), for me here in Concord, on my $175k home, county taxes/yr are $977.70 and city $667.32.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
Not sure what it is in the city of Kannapolis (you can google it and find out), for me here in Concord, on my $175k home, county taxes/yr are $977.70 and city $667.32.
I wish...I'm paying about $2500 a year on a $178,000 house in Ohio. I need to get my @ss to NC!

Old 05-27-2007, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 8,044 times
Kannapolis is an ok place to live. I'm from Nashville,TN but I grow up in Kannapolis (lived there 29 years). I'm in Nashville now and hate it so I'm coming back to in June. I can say Kannapolis is diverse racially but not mentally. I'm not saying its everybody who grew up there but with more people moving from other areas I hope that will change. (I say that from a black person's point of view.) Jobwise there's nothing there and the research center in town will not be the saving grace they're trying to make it out to be. They need to attract more jobs. The people there are still losing their homes left and right since the mill close and the town's leaders doesn't seem too concern which surprises me. I do like how safe it is there. Its not that way here in Nashville. My father was murdered in his home in 2005, two weeks before I had my baby and they haven't found who done it and doesn't seem interested in looking.
I can honestly say Nashvillians are alot more narrow-minded than people in Kannapolis. Plus, they haven't mastered driving here. Which is bad because most people here don't seem to have car insurance. There's alot of arrogance here too. And its on a level I've never seem before. They think country misic make this city so great. Actually it makes it boring because there's nothing else here.
My family is upset about the fact that I'm leaving here. In a way its sad because I'll be too far to see them everyday but I'll visit, just don't want to live here.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 6,938 times
I will be visiting Charlotte in March so that I can check out the area first hand since I am really thinking about moving there in about 1 year. What would be the best university located in Charlotte, I know that Duke is too far so I am looking with in the city limits. I was looking at Queens University. Also out of the three counties to buy a house which would be the best, affordable: Kannapolis (how far from Charlotted), Cabarrus or Macklenburg. Also I want the area to be safe, not high in crime. Would anyone know? Also where would be the greek population be, if any!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or