Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 02:36 PM

5 posts, read 7,243 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I am looking to relocate with my family and am seriously considering North Carolina. Can anyone give me a few pros and cons? What are the best areas for families (especially a family moving from a big city). Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 05:20 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAJGIRL View Post
Hi all! I am looking to relocate with my family and am seriously considering North Carolina. Can anyone give me a few pros and cons? What are the best areas for families (especially a family moving from a big city). Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Wow, I just wrote you a response but it disappeared - weird...so here goes again.

Finding a job anywhere in NC right now can be tough, so plan to go wherever you are lucky enough to find one.

Come with a friendly attitude and don't ever make the mistake of saying "back in such and such we did it THIS way" - that goes over like a lead balloon.

The Raleigh area has the best schools overall, though they do bus so just be aware of that. But really, it's hard to find a bad town in NC in my book.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:34 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
As hard to find a bad town as it is to find a good job?

Lots of pros--

It's beautiful

Weather

Lots of cons--

Farther away from family

Employment

Old 12-22-2009, 08:23 PM

Thanks guys. I'm definitely job hunting. I'm currently working in the administrative department of a NY hospital so my fingers are crossed.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:27 AM

6 posts, read 23,148 times
Default NC Relocation

If you want to try a great small town with a decent size hospital, you might want to consider Pinehurst. So much to do for the entire family. Golf, tennis, horses, soccer, shopping, dining, and not much traffic.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:16 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
LivingInPinehurst is a real estate broker, so this post could be a bit biased.

LivingInPinehurst, I think you're supposed to identify yourself as a realtor (where it says "Junior Member" now). Check the terms of service for special realtor information.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:28 PM

28 posts, read 46,019 times
asheville or hendersonville

Old 12-27-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
LivingInPinehurst is a real estate broker, so this post could be a bit biased.

LivingInPinehurst, I think you're supposed to identify yourself as a realtor (where it says "Junior Member" now). Check the terms of service for special realtor information.

Thanks! Ultimately I will be making my own decision about location and I greatly appreciate the feedback from both SLL3454 (for that heads-up) and LivingInPinehurst (for another location to investigate).

Old 12-27-2009, 06:46 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
This is a big state and there ere are many great areas. What is your budget and ideal house/lot size? Do you want to be in another big city? Do you want to be near, or perhaps far from, big box stores? Do you want to be close to the mountains? Do you want to be close to the beach? Information like that can help us, help you narrow down your options.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:52 AM

Thanks NCgirl. I want to be in an area where I am close to but not necessarily in the mix of things. I would like an area where I can walk to a store if i wanted. I have children so the education system and crime/violence data is also a great influence. We live in New York and while we see crime daily, I want the little ones to see another type of life. At this point I will probably rent a little while before i decided to purchase so any 3+ bedroom to the max of $1200
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina