U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:01 PM

14,405 posts, read 26,174,612 times

Advertisements

The state of NC keeps building more freeways instead of public transit lines while inviting everyone and their cars on down, and this trend of poor air quality will continue to worsen.

Public transit is expensive, but cleaning up the air is more expensive. Texas is about to start giving vouchers of upward of $3500 to low-income residents who drive pre-1996 cars which are the heaviest polluters. They should have just spent that money on more mass transit a long time ago and the feds wouldn't be all over the state for the poor air. The Triangle and Charlotte will reckon with this - Charlotte is a little ahead because it is introducing light rail.

Poor air quality added with the heat and mugginess will make a place as miserable as it can possibly be. It will make the summers even worse. Cars generate a lot of heat themselves...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 01:16 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,626,877 times
RE: "Is NC really THAT hot?"

3:17pm
From the City of Wilmington

96.6F with 62% humidity
Heat Index: feels like 120.0F

Dew Point: 81.0F
Barometric Pressure: 29.75 in.
Barometric Trend: -0.021
Today's High: 96.7F at 3:16pm
Today's Low: 83.9F at 3:04am

Old 08-10-2007, 03:42 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Highs on Wednesday, NOT heat indexes.

Lumberton - 106
Fayetteville - 105
Charlotte - 102
Raleigh/Durham - 102
Greensboro - 100
New Bern - 99
Wilmington - 98
Elizabeth City - 98
Asheville/Hendersonville - 92
Cape Hatteras - 91

National Weather Service (NWS)
And on Thursday Charlotte hit a record breaking 104!!! Wow, what a heat wave - glad this doesn't happen every August!

Old 08-10-2007, 05:14 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,753,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
And on Thursday Charlotte hit a record breaking 104!!! Wow, what a heat wave - glad this doesn't happen every August!
Now we know what an average day in Phoenix feels like

Old 08-10-2007, 05:16 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,660,946 times
Charlotte hit 104 yesterday and today.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:42 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,163,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Now we know what an average day in Phoenix feels like
Call me crazy (everyone else does), but I'm convinced I could deal with it. I was out yesterday during the middle of it and it wasn't nearly as miserable as I thought it'd be. Even when I was walking through the eternal parking lot at Wal-Mart with the heat bouncing off the pavement, it didn't feel too bad. It wasn't as if it felt like a pleasant April afternoon, but it didn't feel like I was in Hades either...so bring it Phoenix! I'd rather it be hot than cold anyhow!

Old 08-12-2007, 08:39 AM

4 posts, read 28,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
110 degrees in NC? 98 degrees in May in NC? You guys are really out of control with your exaggeration. THe highest temp in NC EVER recorded is only at about 110 Degrees, in all of recorded history for the entire state. And 98 degrees in May is almost unheard of in all of NC recorded history. IN fact, some of the record highs in mid summer are around 98 degrees, in July and August! NC has a mild, humid climate. Heat waves do occur, but extreme heat is rare. And in the mountains, summers are cool. NC is not a particularly hot state relative to many areas. Stop exaggerating.
I am brand new to city-data.com so I'm not sure precisely what I'm doing. I'm wanting to ask you about your post in particular. I've been reading how hot & humid it is in areas of NC and I'm becoming very disillusioned about moving there. I have lived in Phoenix for 21 years, and although I am familiar with heat (which I stay out of) I am certainly not accustomed to humidity. Another poster mentioned getting severe headaches due to the heat. So do I and I'm very concerned about having to deal with heat AND humidity. I've read that the humidity is high most of the year in Greensboro (which is where I'd be moving). I envisioned NC to be cool in both mornings and evenings even during summer months. I guess I was wrong. I'm almost 50 years old and am concerned if moving into what's been stated as miserable humidity is right for me. But if the weather has been grossly overstated, then I'd like to know that too. Thanks for listening.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:44 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,337,804 times
Well, today it's a BALMY 93, LOL Liz

Old 08-12-2007, 09:19 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,446,136 times
I'm from CA....have gone through some pretty hot times in the SF Valley there and have relatives living in Phoenix area so I have heard what kind of heat they have to deal with. I'm around your age and also can't deal with heat....it's tolerable here even on their hot humid days. You will most likely be happy with the tempts. Most days are very comfortable. Everyone is different but this is my feelings.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:32 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,634,454 times
The first document is an excellent publication by the National Climatic Data Center (NCDC) describing the state's climate. As noted in the document, there's a great variation in the weather depending on the location within the state. As a result, climate generalizations such as temperatures are misleading without referencing the region of the state that it applies to. There is no single statewide climate here.

North Carolina is almost 600 miles in length and varies in elevation from sea level to almost 7,000 feet. In NC, one can have both a New York or a Florida type climate and everything in between depending on the region they choose.

Climate of North Carolina

http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/climatenorm...Clim_NC_01.pdf

Historical Climate Summaries by Area

Historical Climate Data for North Carolina

Regional Map North Carolina

http://www.geology.enr.state.nc.us/p...phy_600dpi.pdf

Last edited by mm34b; 08-12-2007 at 09:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina