U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:24 PM

5,660 posts, read 18,378,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I don't remember it ever being 110 degrees, but even if it did, that's not what it's normally like. It's usually more like 90 and occassionally the heat index will make it feel around 100. If it got that hot, they'd have heat index warnings out telling people to stay indoors and limit activity.
The official state record is held by Fayetteville at 110 degrees (air temp) set on August 21, 1983.

http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/climate/extremes.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 02:53 PM

19,159 posts, read 14,029,036 times
That's still way to hot! I hope I didn't make a big mistake by moving to this part of NC. I guess only time will tell and what's done is done. We do have good a/c in the house and truck so I will survive. But it sure would be nice to be able to go outside more then a couple of months a year!!

Old 05-23-2007, 04:14 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,906,837 times
You can go outside more than a couple months a year. It's not unusual for us to get temperatures in the 60s and 70s in the winter (though usually just for a few days at a time) and fall is fantastic. July and August are our truly hot months. We usually get several 90-degree days during those months. Thank God for A/C. lol

I'm what you'd call a mostly "indoor girl". If I get too hot (which for me is when it's about 85), I can get nauseated and weak. But even I don't mind the summers too much. It's better than getting tons of snow in the winter. I like snow, but only in small amounts.

Anyway, as others have said, it's different for different people. You may hate the summers here, or you may find that you like them or can at least tolerate them. There are worse things in life than a couple months of heat. lol

I wish you all the best.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:18 PM

201 posts, read 612,471 times
You guys are the best!!!

Old 05-23-2007, 06:48 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,768,818 times
Amazing is all I can say. I moved here from MD and except for the length of time that it's hot there isn't a whole lot of difference between here and there. It gets hot here, it got hot there. It gets humid here, it got humid there. I guess after 48 years I'm used to it. Just stay out of the sun and you'll be alright.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:35 PM

997 posts, read 3,213,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moremoremore View Post
OK. I'm from NY...and thinking about moving to southern NC. I REALLY hate the heat....I don't care for NY summers all that much and very much look forward to it being over....Is it really that much hotter in NC???? Believe it or not, that's a big hang up for me right now...Thanks to all !!!
YES it's really that hot. I'm from CT and moved to Fayetteville, NC last Aug. WOW is all I can say. In CT 3 days in a row over 80 is a heat wave, they start asking folks to keep appliances off, run dishwashers etc at night, so there won't be brown outs from all the extra a/c on. At least in CT (and Upstate NY, Saratoga where I went to school for 4 yrs) it got cool overnight most nights. Here, in Aug I would open the door at 7 am to let the dog out and the blast of hot air would hit me. Also, it gets hot at times all through the year. Christmas eve we were walking on the Cape Fear River Trail in shorts and tank tops, sweating!
(of course a week later we were in winter coats...)
If it's a choice and you don't like HOT then go to the mountains of NC, Asheville I understand is cooler.
Weather.com has a cool feature where you can put in 2 different locations and get a chart that compares avg temps, avg highs, lows, etc.
If you go to your weather.com forcast, click on the bar that says averages near the 36 hr forcast, then in the drop down box where it says monthly averages, you can choose compare averages and it'll let you pick a 2nd zip code or location.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:40 PM

4,299 posts, read 10,312,135 times
Has it gotten hot here in Charlotte yet? If not when does it start to heat up?

Old 05-23-2007, 09:51 PM

5,660 posts, read 18,378,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Has it gotten hot here in Charlotte yet? If not when does it start to heat up?
The hottest days so far this month for Charlotte was 89 degrees on May 1st & 2nd, at the National Weather Service's airport monitoring station.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:56 PM

4,299 posts, read 10,312,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
The hottest days so far this month for Charlotte was 89 degrees on May 1st & 2nd, according to the National Weather Service's airport monitoring station.
So far so good then.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:08 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,906,837 times
joanchris2000,
That's pretty typical for Fayetteville. That area is one of the hottest (if not the hottest) in NC. It can get suffocatingly hot there. On days when Greensboro (where I live) and Fayetteville are the same temperature or close to it, it feels worse in Fayetteville. Maybe it has something to do with all the sand there and all the green here. I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina