Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 01:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,880 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions about moving to NC that I hope someone or a few people could answer! First off, I will not be moving for about a year so I do have time to check things out but, I like to hear from people that have lived there for awhile or have just moved there. I like to hear the good and the bad.... I don't want anything sugar coated!! Here are some of the questions I have for anyone that has experience in NC! 1. I will be moving there with my sister that will have just graduated high school and she wants to go to cosmetology school and she likes to dance. Is there a good college for mainly the cosmetology at a reasonable price? 2. I will also be moving with a friend and her two boys, they will be in elementry school. Where would be a good place for her to raise the boys but yet close to a college for my sister? 3. I would like to know if the job market out there is pretty good. Like if I came out there and I had the experience and knowledge in a certain field would I be able to get a job within a month or so? Basically, we need a nice area that has good schools, low crime rate, and a pretty good job market.... even if we would have to drive anywhere from 30 mins to an hour to work! Thanks for your help!! I look foward to hearing the replies!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 04:49 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
There are quite a few threads on here that are similar to yours. Just insert NY, NJ, OH, etc., for IL and then read, read, read. It's hard for anyone to take all your criteria and spit out the name of a town or school. NC's a big state.

The first thing you need to do is check Google for unemployment information on NC. You need to have a job lined up before you relocate or have a very large bank balance to live off of.

I'm just curious -- how did you pick NC?

Old 12-28-2009, 11:40 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Do you want to live in/near a city? Charlotte is the biggest city. Raleigh, Durham and Winston-Salem are a few others.
Do you want to live in a more rural area?
Do you want to live in/near the mountains, or near the beach? The eastern part of the state is hotter than the western. Will extremely hot weather bother you?

The job situation is very bad. Don't assume you can show up and get one. Can you have a job lined up before you arrive?

If you do come without a job, have enough savings for at least 4 months (besides the expenses of moving, getting settled, and your sister's school). Even that is risky, as there are people who have been looking for work for much longer.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:14 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
3. I would like to know if the job market out there is pretty good. Like if I came out there and I had the experience and knowledge in a certain field would I be able to get a job within a month or so?
NC is among the top 10 states for unemployment so no, the job market (for most fields) is not good. And getting a job within "a month or so" has rarely been the case even in good times (they generally tell new college grads to allow 6-8 months, even during a booming economy). What field would you be looking in?

How did you pick NC, if you aren't coming here because of a job?

Old 12-28-2009, 04:36 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
1. I will be moving there with my sister that will have just graduated high school and she wants to go to cosmetology school and she likes to dance. Is there a good college for mainly the cosmetology at a reasonable price?

Might try looking at the community colleges?

Wake Technical or Johnston Community might have or know where cosmo classes are. Might also need 1 year residency or PAY higher at community colleges..

2. I will also be moving with a friend and her two boys, they will be in elementry school. Where would be a good place for her to raise the boys but yet close to a college for my sister?

Depends on the college she goes to.
Wake Tech has campuses on southwest and Northeast corners of Raleigh.
Johnston Community is in Smithfield.

3. I would like to know if the job market out there is pretty good. Like if I came out there and I had the experience and knowledge in a certain field would I be able to get a job within a month or so?

Current job market is tight. Next year? hard to say right now.
Remember, Raleigh has 3 major universities (NCSU, UNC, and Duke) as well as MANY smaller colleges like SHAW, NCCU, MEREDETH, PEACE, ect...) whose students are also seeking employment.
My wife has a college degree and it took her 4 months to get a teaching assistant position.

Basically, we need a nice area that has good schools, low crime rate, and a pretty good job market.... even if we would have to drive anywhere from 30 mins to an hour to work!

Look at Charlotte or Winston-Salem, High POINT, Greensboro (TRIAD) as well...

GOOD LUCK

Old 12-28-2009, 05:20 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,452,390 times
Quote:
I will be moving there with my sister that will have just graduated high school and she wants to go to cosmetology school and she likes to dance. Is there a good college for mainly the cosmetology at a reasonable price?
There are many cosmetology schools. Some are in community colleges and some are private. I don't know about tuition prices but I'd imagine community colleges will be cheaper. Here is the complete list of schools in NC (http://www.nccosmeticarts.com/school/All%20Schools.pdf - broken link) Here is a list by location. (http://www.nccosmeticarts.com/school/All%20School%20Mailing%20List.pdf - broken link)

Often private schools have multiple locations:

The Aveda Institure has locations in Charlotte and Chapel Hill.

Empire Beauty School has locations in Charlotte, Matthews and Concord.

Paul Mitchell School has locations in Gastonia, Raleigh and Fayetteville

Regency Beauty Institute has locations in Charlotte, Winston-Salem and Durham
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina