Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:34 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,252 times

Advertisements

That your state seems to be a place where a lot of people are relocating to these days?

I made a thread in the California forum about this since everyone and their brother seems to move to California, but as of recent years North Carolina seems to be a top relocating spot for many people.

For those of you who were born and raised there (or even moved there before it became such a popular destination), does it bother you in any way that's it's becoming much more populated every year?

Personally I'd hate to see any state become the next "California" in terms of getting crowded by people moving in. I was in North Carolina a year ago and really enjoyed it, but found it humorous that it was like when I was in California, in the sense that I met tons of people from out of state who relocated.

Thoughts??

(Please, I do not want this to become a big bashing thread. I just want to see how NC residents and natives feel about this)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 02:44 PM

82 posts, read 295,176 times
Quick answer yes it bothers me!

Old 12-30-2009, 04:54 PM

174 posts, read 403,908 times
I'm not a native, but I've been here for more than a decade. Personally, I like it just how it is now, therefore I don't really want any more growth. But, I'm smart enough to know that is inevitable.

My biggest complaint about translants are when they
  • come without a job, then complain about the unemployment rate.
  • always compare anything they don't like here to what they do like back home - "well up north we".....who cares!
  • refuse to establish roots in their new home town. You live in Carolina, it's time to throw away your sleeveless Giants sweatshirt and embrace the Panthers, Tar Heels, etc.
  • act as if the Southerners are inferior to the Northerners. Especially the schools. It's just not true.
  • forget that in most cases they chose to move here.
NC is a wonderful, wonderful state, and a great place to call home. I just hope that the future transplants allow us to keep it that way.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:21 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
We have only been here about a year and recent transplants who come down and want to know why things are so "different" from back home bother us.

We love the history and the lack of wild sprawl here.

We are also frustrated by folks moving here and saying--"I can't wait to get back home"

The way we see it--WE ARE HOME...

Transplants by CHOICE and loving it.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:32 PM

451 posts, read 1,565,511 times
Default Native of N.C.

It doesn't bother me that people love the state and want to move here. I feel proud that others appreciates the beauty and diverse landscapes of the state. I love meeting people from all over the country. However, there is a feeling of melancholy that I get when I go to places of my youth and see so much change in the scenery that I took for granted would last forever. I'm sure that is how most people feel about the places they grew up in. In my opinion, I think folks from other parts of the country that move here sometime get the blame for the over development of natives hometowns. This is sometimes very unfair. Parts of Hickory that were beautiful and natural were developed to death by greedy builders right from N.C. The same can be said for the mountains I now live in. Up here though, many from outside of the state came with their big bucks and bought up beautiful land, chopped down countless trees, put up their big gates, and built their mansions, only to spend a few weeks a year up here. Natives can hardly afford to live in the place they grew up. We have a shortage of affordable homes for locals that work and live here year round. This has created some resentment. Yes, someone sold the land to these folks, and there are many different reasons for that. Sometimes out of necessity. It would be nice if people would buy the many homes that are already here instead of building new. I just watched an old movie made in 1974, called Where the Lilies Bloom, that was made entirely in Watauga and Avery County, and I felt like crying because so much of the breathtaking landscape in the movie is now developments.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:11 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
It doesn't bother me per se. I know one thing it has done is change my choice of retirement. I grew up on the Carolina Coast, and always dreamed of retiring in the Raleigh area. It had always struck me as the perfect compromise. To me it had everything you'd want in a city, but still had trees, still had communities. Now, it's grown at a rate that it almost strikes me as a mini DC. Too many people, who live in too small an area without the infrastructure to support it. Give it another 5-10 years and 40W will be as notorious as I-95.

That said, I have no problem with the people. Maybe b/c grew up around alot of Military transplants who loved NC enough to stay here after they got out. That said I've actually never seen that "this is how we do it back home" attitude from them. Even the ones from New York

Old 12-31-2009, 06:30 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
The growth of the DC Metro has created a situation in Fredericksburg, VA (about 55 miles from DC) where longtime residents,can not afford to live there due to the increase of cost-of-living from commuters moving down from DC w/ DC money. I can see the same thing happening in the Triangle and even on the coast for that matter. Wilmington is actually more expensive than Raleigh, but has a lower per-capita income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbirds View Post
It doesn't bother me that people love the state and want to move here. I feel proud that others appreciates the beauty and diverse landscapes of the state. I love meeting people from all over the country. However, there is a feeling of melancholy that I get when I go to places of my youth and see so much change in the scenery that I took for granted would last forever. I'm sure that is how most people feel about the places they grew up in. In my opinion, I think folks from other parts of the country that move here sometime get the blame for the over development of natives hometowns. This is sometimes very unfair. Parts of Hickory that were beautiful and natural were developed to death by greedy builders right from N.C. The same can be said for the mountains I now live in. Up here though, many from outside of the state came with their big bucks and bought up beautiful land, chopped down countless trees, put up their big gates, and built their mansions, only to spend a few weeks a year up here. Natives can hardly afford to live in the place they grew up. We have a shortage of affordable homes for locals that work and live here year round. This has created some resentment. Yes, someone sold the land to these folks, and there are many different reasons for that. Sometimes out of necessity. It would be nice if people would buy the many homes that are already here instead of building new. I just watched an old movie made in 1974, called Where the Lilies Bloom, that was made entirely in Watauga and Avery County, and I felt like crying because so much of the breathtaking landscape in the movie is now developments.

Last edited by macjr82; 12-31-2009 at 06:50 AM..

Old 12-31-2009, 07:27 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,093 times
Speaking as a lifelong CLT native.....I think many natives will concur with me. The cost of living is not that low,(It has risen over the last decade). there are too little jobs to accommodate the influx of people here and housing is not that cheap. However if you are northener that just move to Charlotte then you are going think the living here..is "dirt cheap"....Who wouldnt coming from Jersey/CT/t/ The city is really all about having a family and driving your kid to soccer practice. And thats fine..if thats what you crave that...then Charlotte is for you.
Nice cheap quiet place to have a life, but not a place to live life.

Last edited by westcoastbabe; 12-31-2009 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: extra word

Old 12-31-2009, 10:19 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
as a native i'll say we will be the next Florida

Old 12-31-2009, 11:53 AM

431 posts, read 1,141,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post
I'm not a native, but I've been here for more than a decade. Personally, I like it just how it is now, therefore I don't really want any more growth. But, I'm smart enough to know that is inevitable.

My biggest complaint about translants are when they
  • come without a job, then complain about the unemployment rate.
  • always compare anything they don't like here to what they do like back home - "well up north we".....who cares!
  • refuse to establish roots in their new home town. You live in Carolina, it's time to throw away your sleeveless Giants sweatshirt and embrace the Panthers, Tar Heels, etc.
  • act as if the Southerners are inferior to the Northerners. Especially the schools. It's just not true.
  • forget that in most cases they chose to move here.
NC is a wonderful, wonderful state, and a great place to call home. I just hope that the future transplants allow us to keep it that way.
I hate sports for the most part, but I have embraced anything UNC for a while now. Everyone knows I love North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina