U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 01:53 PM

2,798 posts, read 6,792,408 times

Advertisements

I know this is probably a dumb question, but...

Are there alligators/crocs in North Carolina? Around the Raleigh or Asheville areas?

We're looking for a place to relocate and a lot of people have suggested North Carolina by the standards we're looking for. However, I just need to know if there are alligators there.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 02:24 PM

3,225 posts, read 3,833,886 times
Raleigh? No. Asheville? Definitely not.
There was an alligator in Hickory, but it was a released pet.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:50 PM

7,645 posts, read 10,354,332 times
I believe you gotta go to the southern corner to see an alligator.

No crocs in America?

From Wikipedia:

American alligators are found in the southeast United States: all of Florida and Louisiana, the southern parts of Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi, coastal South and North Carolina, Eastern Texas, the southeast corner of Oklahoma and the southern tip of Arkansas. Alligators have also been found in extreme southern Missouri along the Mississippi River during the summer months. According to the 2005 Scholastic Book of World Records, Louisiana is the state with the largest alligator population. The majority of American alligators inhabit Florida and Louisiana, with over a million alligators in each state.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:04 PM

14 posts, read 5,858 times
The answer is yes, there are alligators in the state of North Carolina. Only in the coastal regions of the state.

But in Asheville and Raleigh? - No, absolutely not in Asheville.

Last edited by DixieDiva; 01-01-2010 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-01-2010, 03:32 PM

44,880 posts, read 56,368,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I believe you gotta go to the southern corner to see an alligator.

No crocs in America?

From Wikipedia:

American alligators are found in the southeast United States: all of Florida and Louisiana, the southern parts of Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi, coastal South and North Carolina, Eastern Texas, the southeast corner of Oklahoma and the southern tip of Arkansas. Alligators have also been found in extreme southern Missouri along the Mississippi River during the summer months. According to the 2005 Scholastic Book of World Records, Louisiana is the state with the largest alligator population. The majority of American alligators inhabit Florida and Louisiana, with over a million alligators in each state.
Please - don't trust Wikipedia when you want REAL info Not to mention, the info you quoted was about ALLIGATORS, not crocs

According to National Geographic "a small remnant population of crocs can be found in southern Florida". They are an endangered species and their numbers are very small. I have about as much chance of seeing one in NC as a snowball has in hell.

American Crocodiles, American Crocodile Pictures, American Crocodile Facts - National Geographic

Old 01-01-2010, 03:51 PM

845 posts, read 2,099,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieDiva View Post
The answer is yes, there are alligators in the state of North Carolina. Only in the coastal regions of the state.

But in Asheville and Raleigh? - No, absolutely not in Asheville.

I know alligators have been far inland as Robeson County (St. Pauls) and even in Fayetteville.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:53 PM

7,645 posts, read 10,354,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Please - don't trust Wikipedia when you want REAL info Not to mention, the info you quoted was about ALLIGATORS, not crocs

According to National Geographic "a small remnant population of crocs can be found in southern Florida". They are an endangered species and their numbers are very small. I have about as much chance of seeing one in NC as a snowball has in hell.

American Crocodiles, American Crocodile Pictures, American Crocodile Facts - National Geographic

My bad...I thought there WERE alligators in Florida and Louisiana, the southern parts of Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi, coastal South and North Carolina, Eastern Texas, the southeast corner of Oklahoma and the southern tip of Arkansas.

Guess I was as wrong as Winki is...

Sorry to have passed on erroneous info.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:39 PM

44,880 posts, read 56,368,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
My bad...I thought there WERE alligators in Florida and Louisiana, the southern parts of Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi, coastal South and North Carolina, Eastern Texas, the southeast corner of Oklahoma and the southern tip of Arkansas.

Guess I was as wrong as Winki is...

Sorry to have passed on erroneous info.
OF COURSE there are ALLIGATORS in the southern states - everyone knows that.

But YOUR post was talking about CROC's - reread what you wrote:

No crocs in America?

From Wikipedia...

Then you went on to quote info about alligators instead of crocs

I was telling you two things:
1) Wikipedia is generally considered a bad source of info in general (so much so that teachers and professors in schools and colleges will not allow you to site it as a source in any paper you write)
2.) The only crocs in America are a tiny remnant band in southern Florida. No one in NC needs to fear running into a croc here.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:43 PM

2,996 posts, read 4,520,454 times
I'm from eastern Craven county and I know we had alligators. Growing up remember times the school buses from Harlowe being late due to alligators blocking the road. One the favorite treats at the NC Seafood festival in MHC is gator-on-a-stick

Old 01-02-2010, 07:00 AM

16,623 posts, read 14,200,391 times
"Officially", Gators are all across eastern South Carolina, and just a little ways into the southeast area of NC around Wilmington. Unofficially, I am willing to bet you can probably find them in certain swamps all the way to Fayetteville, Greenville, maybe even close to Raleigh.

Officially, crocodiles are only in south Florida. Unofficially, you find them along the SC coast occasionally, and I'm willing to bet you can find them occasionally along the NC coast. Apparently one was seen near Virginia's great dismal swamp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina