Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:06 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I always thought marriage was a matter for the church and NOT government.
\
It confuses me that government can be allowed to make rules governing religion.??
I can understand how people can think as you do but I'd ask the following question: Can one get married without a church, synagogue, etc? The answer to this question is yes. One can get married in a civil ceremony and have that marriage legally recognized. While most weddings do take place in a religious setting, it's not a requirement. In fact, it's just the opposite. A marriage performed by a church must have legal concurrence with the state, not vice versa.
I think there is a lot of fear out there that laws expanding civil marriage rights will "govern religion" as you suggest. But, that's not the case. Even today, churches don't perform weddings that they don't want to perform and the government doesn't require a church to do so. Just look at the Catholic church as an example. One has to satisfy a rigorous set of parameters in order to obtain a wedding blessed by the Catholic Church. Those who don't meet those requirements (including divorced individuals) are not elligible. But, the church does not prevent a rejected couple from obtaining a perfectly legal civil wedding or a wedding at another religious institution.
The argument that churches are being discriminated against is really unfounded. Nobody has been able to logically explain how they would suffer should the state or federal goverment recognize a marriage that they don't. Because, frankly, there are already marriages that the state recognizes and churches don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 07:12 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I always thought marriage was a matter for the church and NOT government.
\
It confuses me that government can be allowed to make rules governing religion.??
The state becomes involved because of benefits, contracts etc etc which when disputed become part of the judicial branch to interpret etc etc. Also unless a marriage is recognized by the state will the spouse be entitled to benefits, social security, pensions etc? Just like custody and adoption etc etc etc.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:14 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The state becomes involved because of benefits, contracts etc etc which when disputed become part of the judicial branch to interpret etc etc. Also unless a marriage is recognized by the state will the spouse be entitled to benefits, social security, pensions etc? Just like custody and adoption etc etc etc.
Is the issue really gay marriage or is it same sex partner entitlement?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:09 AM

444 posts, read 1,143,427 times
I think one day the whole world will eventually allow gay marriage except in very very few conservative places outside of America...like China(?).

Old 01-05-2010, 09:12 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
If you want my opinion, the state has no business sanctioning marriage in the first place. It simply isn't necessary.

Regarding your question: Yes, I think there's no question.

Just look at the generational breakdown. Statistically speaking, it is the WWII generation, the silent generation, and the baby boomers who have a problem with gay marriage. If you look at polls of people who are born after 1980, very few people have a problem with it. Young people tend to lump it in with women's rights and race-based civil rights, as a no-brainer... there is no logical reason to prevent such a large group of Americans from doing what they want to do, at no harm to anyone else.

One day, "Generation Y" will be the oldest, stodgiest folks on the block.. and then who will care about preventing gay marriages?

Last edited by le roi; 01-05-2010 at 10:02 AM..

Old 01-05-2010, 10:14 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
If you want my opinion, the state has no business sanctioning marriage in the first place. It simply isn't necessary.

Regarding your question: Yes, I think there's no question.

Just look at the generational breakdown. Statistically speaking, it is the WWII generation, the silent generation, and the baby boomers who have a problem with gay marriage. If you look at polls of people who are born after 1980, very few people have a problem with it. Young people tend to lump it in with women's rights and race-based civil rights, as a no-brainer... there is no logical reason to prevent such a large group of Americans from doing what they want to do, at no harm to anyone else.

One day, "Generation Y" will be the oldest, stodgiest folks on the block.. and then who will care about preventing gay marriages?
I think your right about another 20 years. I also predict Georgia or Florida to be the first southern state.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I think your right about another 20 years. I also predict Georgia or Florida to be the first southern state.
I live in both Florida and North Carolina and can tell you that Florida is a long way away from having legal same sex marriages. Just last fall, FL voters approved an amendment to the constitution by a wide margain.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Without the government recognition of a marriage, then the rights associated with that marriage cannot be legally conferred. Churches act as an agent of the state when they perform a ceremony. If legal documents are not completed, the marriage comes without rights and is not recognized by the state. So, if you are just talking about a union in the eyes of God, then no, the state is not necessary. But, if one is interested in having legal rights and protection of ones union, then the state's sanction is necessary.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I am not sure what you are trying to say here. Are you saying that marriage should only be an opposite sex partner entitlement? Because, as of now, it's just that...an opposite sex partner entitlement. Or, are you saying that the legality of a relationship should be separated from the word marriage?

Old 01-05-2010, 10:57 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
What do you mean by "same sex partner entitlement"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina