Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 04:11 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Again, you can't equate race with "sexuality".
I never equated race with sexuality, any more than you can equate race with religion, gender, or physical ability, but all of these are ways people have been and continue to be discriminated against.

Quote:
The arguement brings to light at a "homosexual marriage" has way different dynamics then a hertosexual marriage. Who's the "mom"? Do you switch?
If there are no children, there is no "Mom". And, no, don't start that tired argument saying marriage is for having children--if that were true, then anyone who was infertile would be denied a marriage license. Anyone who had had a hysterectomy would be denied a marriage license. Anyone past the age of menopause would be denied a marriage license. Marriage is a legal contract between two ADULTS.

Even when same-sex couples DO have children, there isn't a "Mom", but guess what? Plenty of single-father households don't have a "mom", and even more single-mom households don't have a Dad. Two parents still means twice the attention, love, and resources to a child than with a single parent, --but again, this is not about parenting, it's about marriage, which is a legal contract between two adults and NOWHERE in that legal contract does it mention that having children is a requirement.

Quote:
Who's the wife? Doesn't wife indicate "female"? Are you going to try and tell me two guys can sit down with their "daughter" and understand her sexuality issues, PMS, puberty, emotional issues as a woman can? Nope. Not possible. No more than two woman can have a "dad" in the mix.
They handle it the same way a single Mom handles a son or a single dad handles a daughter--the ones I know with children make sure there are plenty of family and friends of the child's own sex to serve as fe/male role models and yes, to handle things like menstruation with teenage girls.

Quote:
Exactly my point. It's not natural. Your penis does not belong in a colon, it wasn't designed for that. (Hetero OR Homo)
Your point was not "it's not natural", your point was that you claimed there are pairs of men out there "trying to make a baby". I assure you that there is no gay male couple on this earth who is not 100% aware that they cannot make a baby.

As for body parts (you always seem to be focussing on other people's body parts and what they do with them--I'm starting to question your priorities), you really do not know what goes on behind people's closed doors (though it's obvious you spend a LOT of time thinking about it and writing about it). It might surprise you to know--not that it matters here--that NOT all gay men enjoy anal sex, and that lots of heterosexual (including married) couples DO. Equating "gay" with "anal sex" is not only not accurate (because there are lots of gays--especially women!--who don't and lots of striaghts who do) but also, it had nothing to do with fitness for a LEGAL CONTRACT.

Quote:
It doesn't matter which you use, the point is - two nuts/bolts trying to act as a nut and bolt does not work! It wasn't a statement about sex, but about being male and female.
Again, your obsession with what other people are doing in bed, hmmm. Whe I see a couple in love (same-sex or opposite-sex), my mind does not jump immediately to wondering who's doing what to whom, but evidently yours does. What I see if two people in love who care for each other.

Quote:
I don't care how much you chop off, tuck under and how many hormones you flood your body with. You were born a male, you are a male.
The transgender issue is a completely different issue unrelated to any of this. But transgender =/= gay. Two VERY different things.

Quote:
Males were not designed to have a sexual i.e. marriage relationship nor can a man experience or be a woman any more than a woman can be a man.
I can't follow your "grammar" here, but males and females were not designed by evolution to have ANY kind of marriage contract--male and female existed long before humans existed; marriage and any other kind of contract are human inventions, originally for the purpose of property and inheritance rights between kindgoms. In the early days of our species, humans lived in nomadic pacts and most likely men were quite polygamous, because that is the most efficient way to spread one's genes. I am not here to support or speak against that, being several thousand years too late to comment on it, but the point is that animal reproduction was not "designed" for any kind of social contracts whatsoever.

Quote:
Okay so then answer me this: How does "gay marriage" contribute to our society. What does it do, as opposed to being "not married" that makes it better for our society?
People who have a legal contract are more likely to remain together through thick and thin. Having couples remain together is a good thing for society, obviously so where children are involved but even when they are no. Stability in one's personal relationships is good for a person's mental health, not to mention physical heatlh: someone who is married is less promiscuous (whether homo- or hetero-) than someone who is not. If you don't understand why promiscuity is a bad thing for soceity, you'll have to learn that on your own.

Also, it is good for financial security. Two unmarried people cannot inherit each other's property without many different kinds of paperwork, and wills can and often are challenged by family members. Even with will and powers of attorney in place, some rights can NEVER be signed to a non-"family member": disposal of the body in case of death, for example, is legally the responsibility of "Next of Kin", meaning even with every legal document in the world signed, a third cousin to the deceased, who's never met him, has more legal say in what to to with the body or ashes than one's loved partner of decades. This is true even with civil unions because they are not considered "next of kin".

And back to the argument with children: if two women raise a child that is the biological child of the other, and the nonbiological mother dies, the child is NOT entitled to her Social Security, which is obviously a worse case for the child, especially if the deceased parent was the primary breadwinner. Legal marriage would ensure that dependency and inheritance worked properly for a child.

Mostly, marriage is a good thing for same-sex couples for EXACTLY the same reasons it is for heterosexual couples. We as a society generally acknowledge that marriage is a good thing for people (Bush even spent millions of dollars trying to "promote marriage" in inner cities, even while denying it to thousands who wanted it).

Quote:
but the institution of marriage was designed for stable sexual relationships and yes even children.
Actually, it was originally designed to keep kingdoms intact and marriages were always "arranged" by the parents on solely political grounds. And yes, this included "children", but only in the since of "heirs to leave the property to"; providing an heir was considered a "duty" to the family fortune.

Quote:
Not like today where 98% of the people who get married after shacking up for 5 years and already had a wild sex life 10 years before meeting each other.
So, it sounds like you have a lot of problems with heterosexual marraiges, as well.

Quote:
There was a time, where such things were kept sacred UNTIL marriage...that was the point of being married. Security, devotion and yes, even "children".
Security and devotion are not typically things considered "left until marriage". Usually people experience devotion to their loved once BEFORE deciding to get married? As I mentioned earlier, having children is NOT a "requirement" for marriage in any legal jurisdiction in this country. If it were, people who didn't reproduce would be forced to get divorced.

Quote:
I'll give you a real major issue facing America: The destruction of our morals and family structure - gay marriage is part of that IMO. Crime, sexual abuse/imorrality, drug use, greed etc etc is all on the rise and out of control - I don't think that it has anything to do with global warming.
How can strengthening relationships in thousands of couples in any way be considered "destruction of morals and family structure"?? Your marriage is NOT IN ANY WAY THREATENED BY SOMEONE ELSE'S MARRIAGE, whether said marriage is two men or a man and a women or two women. If your marriage is healthy, it will stay healthy no matter HOW many other people do, or don't, get married!

Same-sex marriage has NOTHING to do with the crime rate, drug use, greed, etc. As I mentioned earlier, it actually lowers promiscuiuty and with that, certain diseases related to promiscuiuty. Actually, it sounds to me like you are the one being "greedy" by wanting to keep marriage all to "yourselves" meaning heterosexuals.

Once again, your marriage, if it is healthy, is not threatened by someone else getting married. No matter how much of a busybody you seem to be, with your constant obsession on what people are doing with their genitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 08:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Old 01-08-2010, 09:30 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

No kidd'n.
This is getting really interesting.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:01 PM

This appears in the current issue of Newsweek:

The Conservative Case for Gay Marriage; why same=sex marriage is an American value.

Written by a longtime Republican legal strategist.

Lots of good quotes, but I like this one:

"...Marriage is one of the basic building blocks of our neighborhoods and our nation. At its best, it is a stable bond between two individuals who work to create a loving household and a social and economic partnership. We encourage couples to marry because the commitments they make to one another provide benefits not only to themselves but also to their families and communities. Marriage requires thinking beyond one's own needs. It transforms two individuals into a union based on shared aspirations, and in doing so establishes a formal investment in the well-being of society. The fact that individuals who happen to be gay want to share in this vital social institution is evidence that conservative ideals enjoy widespread acceptance. Conservatives should celebrate this, rather than lament it..."

Old 01-11-2010, 10:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Is this scenario probable cause
to believe that the trial that now is challenging that proposition 8 is unconstitutional
Quote:
The proceedings, which are expected to last two to three weeks, involve a challenge to Proposition 8, the gay marriage ban approved by California voters in November 2008
California Gay Marriage Trial to Kick Off - CBS News

This case will probably be appeal to the Supreme court and if the Supreme Court rules that the ban is unconstitutional then is would it then be probable that all states including North Carolinanhave to remove their bans since it may be unconstitutional?

Old 01-11-2010, 12:40 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,477 times
[quote=SunnyKayak;12294016]Hopefully North Carolina will remain progressive and not cater to backward thinking.
Many of the states realize gay marriage is a constitutional right.
If you separate the religious aspect and just look at the legal equal treatment to all people right they should be given the right.

Gays are not wanting special rights just be treated equal. Given the right to visit their partner on their death bed but cant because the hospital only allows immediate family.
Given the right to be covered under their partners insurance.

I got married in a church so I cannot separate from the religious aspect. I was joined in a union with the blessing of GOD. I truely beleive that he brought my wife into my life to complete said life. I cannot talk about the legal aspect because I am not an attorney, however I did stay at the HI Express and played one on TV.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
I got married in a church so I cannot separate from the religious aspect. I was joined in a union with the blessing of GOD. I truely beleive that he brought my wife into my life to complete said life.
And nobody is trying to take that religious element away from you, but you must agree that athiests can get legally married and that their marriage is just as legally sound as yours--so the legal rights that come with the civil contract of marriage are separate from the religious aspect. Gay couples have been having religious commitment ceremonies in churches for many years now, with no legal weight. Similarly heterosexual couples had been having civil marriage with no religious aspect. It really is apples and oranges. But, it's the civil/legal rights of coupled commitment that same-sex couples are hoping to eventually gain; religious institutions will still be able to have their own religious ceremonies as they see fit (even now, there are religious restrictions regarding marriage for some religions).

Old 01-12-2010, 09:55 PM

51 posts, read 91,494 times
Gay marriage will never be here in NC!!! We will gather churches and whoever else we need to protest this! Male Female! That is it! And why in the world would you all act like this is an issue that everyone can vote on, like in California and then when it does not go your way you all act like it is unconstitutional? Hmm....

Old 01-13-2010, 04:20 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,427 times
President Obama would have been laughed at and turned away from becoming a President nearly two hundred years ago even though he is only half black.
Expect the unexpected.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivere View Post
President Obama would have been laughed at and turned away from becoming a President nearly two hundred years ago even though he is only half black.
Expect the unexpected.
Two hundred years ago? How about 50 years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina