U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 04:59 AM

25 posts, read 104,528 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I was just wondering if there are any other teachers moving to NC? I am from Long Island, and I can't even get an interview, so I am thinking of moving to NC. On a whim I sent my application to Charlotte-Mecklenberg, and they called me for an interview, but I think I am going to wait a year and apply to Wake or Union Counties, as I am interested in towns in those places.

Where are you other teachers applying and how is the job search going for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2006, 05:13 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,654,642 times
Wake is near Raleigh, Union near Charlotte (3 hr difference) - Union Cty is growing so you may want to ck it out now, may be openings...I am researching the schools in the area and went to one of Unions Elementary websites and they had bios, some teachers are from LI - Good luck.

Old 07-25-2006, 05:45 AM

Thanks Weis!

I have friends in the Charlotte area and I am interested in Cary/Apex too, so I am considering both areas. I'll probably end up in whichever I can get a job in!

Old 07-25-2006, 10:23 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,776,314 times
Good luck in getting a teaching job. My sister's friend moved down there several years ago and is doing well. I know what it's like on Long Island to get a teaching job (never got one interview myself). It's a jungle here. Who you know and how many strings they can pull for you.

Your best bet is to move on.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:44 AM

12,026 posts, read 28,355,774 times
I have a client who works at Youngsville Elementary, about 5 minutes outside of Wake Forest. She will actually live in Raleigh, right beside Wake Forest, after we close on her new home July 31st. She loves the school. For those of you that may want to apply...its Franklin County School System. Vicki

Old 07-25-2006, 06:15 PM

Thanks for everyone's help!

Just out of curiosity, but does anyone here teach at one of the year-round schools down there?

Old 07-25-2006, 06:53 PM

Location: MD - by the bay (from PA to FL to CO to MD -now onto NC!)
5 posts, read 58,167 times
Hi Emm,

I am a gonna-be teacher moving to NC when I graduate. I have to say, I am hoping the job market for teachers is good there. If its not I am in aheap of trouble!

I don't really want to work in Mecklenberg, I am looking for toward the Catawba area. I am really nervous about starting my first job in such an unfamiliar place, but whenever I've visited I have found the people there to be very nice and helpful.

Keeping my fingers crossed.. I am visiting the first week of August to check neighborhoods out more thoroughly. I want to see if there are any schools with support staff/ admin available to talk with.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:01 PM

Whimsical-

I agree, I hope us teachers can get jobs down there. I'm nervous about starting teaching in a new place too. Please post about how your visit in August goes!! Good luck!

Old 07-25-2006, 07:21 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,914,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm0630
Hi Everyone!

I was just wondering if there are any other teachers moving to NC? I am from Long Island, and I can't even get an interview, so I am thinking of moving to NC. On a whim I sent my application to Charlotte-Mecklenberg, and they called me for an interview, but I think I am going to wait a year and apply to Wake or Union Counties, as I am interested in towns in those places.

Where are you other teachers applying and how is the job search going for you?
DON'T go to Wake County. This school system here is a mess. Union County sounds better from what I've heard said on this forum. There is a severe shortage of teachers here and it's with good reason, they are very underpaid and the district is a mess. WCPSS needs a serious overhall or be disolved and broken up into town school districts.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:56 PM

4 posts, read 24,138 times
Default Teaching Job

I Received a teaching job within a few weeks after applying to Wake county. They are opening 7 new schools this year!!! It all depends on what you are teaching and the demand for that position. I am a math teacher so I received plenty of offers...However, if you interview for a school check out their grades and demographics. There are some great schools in Wake county, however their are some poor ones that you may not want to be at...Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina