Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:37 AM

47 posts, read 236,600 times

Advertisements

So basically I live over here in New Mexico and love anywhere farther east. My only problem is that i'm 21 and don't have a degree. I've been working on computers since I was 13 and my current job that I have is a contracted IT guy for an office of 35+ people. Most places that I search online you need at least an associates degree which will probably take me 2 more semesters (i partied too much my freshman year in college and lost track of school).

Are there good places to live that aren't insanely expensive and have good job markets for computer jobs? If I could find a job that pays $15 - $20 and would hire me, i'd move out there in a heartbeat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 11:35 AM

44 posts, read 160,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpuccetti View Post
So basically I live over here in New Mexico and love anywhere farther east. My only problem is that i'm 21 and don't have a degree. I've been working on computers since I was 13 and my current job that I have is a contracted IT guy for an office of 35+ people. Most places that I search online you need at least an associates degree which will probably take me 2 more semesters (i partied too much my freshman year in college and lost track of school).

Are there good places to live that aren't insanely expensive and have good job markets for computer jobs? If I could find a job that pays $15 - $20 and would hire me, i'd move out there in a heartbeat!
I'm only 23 myself, with no college degree but 7+ years I.T. experience and several certificates. I've started low at my jobs and worked my way up to where I am making double where I started and actually manage people now. Unfortunatly... this is in NY. My GF and I are planning on moving down to Raleigh sometime in the near future and I am in the exact same boat as you.

I've looked through plenty of jobs so far and it appears that there ARE jobs, but you will have to start out low. Help Desk positions and some technician positions. Typically making up to $40,000/year TOPS. Experience goes a long way, so do the certifications... but that 4 year degree really does open up many new opportunities.. and almost DOUBLES salary in the I.T. field.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:32 PM

47 posts, read 236,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascf33 View Post
I'm only 23 myself, with no college degree but 7+ years I.T. experience and several certificates. I've started low at my jobs and worked my way up to where I am making double where I started and actually manage people now. Unfortunatly... this is in NY. My GF and I are planning on moving down to Raleigh sometime in the near future and I am in the exact same boat as you.

I've looked through plenty of jobs so far and it appears that there ARE jobs, but you will have to start out low. Help Desk positions and some technician positions. Typically making up to $40,000/year TOPS. Experience goes a long way, so do the certifications... but that 4 year degree really does open up many new opportunities.. and almost DOUBLES salary in the I.T. field.
Thats what I hate though. A degree will get me much more and an easier way to get a job, than without. I've been working on networks and systems for so long I can do it with my eyes closed. My experience is far more than most people with degrees, yet... w/out that piece of paper, it's useless. So I might as well finish up my BA and then move somewhere. I really want to go to NC/SC/VA but without knowing I could get a job, i'm not going to pack up and leave.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:29 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,368,372 times
Certificates are pretty helpful for where I work for our IT positions (we are not an IT company). Ping me if you want a link to our careers website.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:56 PM

9 posts, read 27,712 times
You will have a tough time in Raleigh. There are already plenty of people here with just as much experience if not more AND a Degree. You are going to be at a Huge disadvantage. Maybe you could take some night courses to catch up and be competetive. Godo luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascf33 View Post

Old 05-24-2007, 07:23 PM

414 posts, read 1,376,713 times
This markets are tough to break into espically IT Management and System Administration. You will need at least a 4 year degree and some certs. Mostly CCNA and MCSE. They wanted to make sure you are educated. This is what you are going to have to compete with to get a good job. If You have some experience and no degrees you can probably do help desk. The only way you can get out of a BA is if you have 15-20 years exp or do Unix Administration.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:37 PM

4 posts, read 10,511 times
I made 85k in I.T. working for a Fortune 500 back in the midwest with NO DEGREE. I worked my way up and continued up the chain even after the internet bubble and 9/11. Now I'm back at a Big 10 University finishing up my Bachelors in Finance/Marketing to round out my education and get me the management skills employers are seeking. No one can take away your experience or your degree, so I say go for your degree and you will be so glad you did. I look forward to my prospects on my possible move to NC after graduation here. You will easily double your pay by going for the 4 year. And they will drool on your real-world experience!
Good Luck!

Old 05-25-2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1971 View Post
You will have a tough time in Raleigh. There are already plenty of people here with just as much experience if not more AND a Degree. You are going to be at a Huge disadvantage. Maybe you could take some night courses to catch up and be competetive. Godo luck!
Thats the plan. Hoping to get a somewhat decent job during the day and finish my degree up at NCSU at night. I only have about 3 or 4 semesters left.

EDIT: I was really hoping for something higher then Help Desk or Technician though. Its going to be tough to leave my salary up here to work a lower position making less money.

Last edited by Ascf33; 05-25-2007 at 08:00 AM..

Old 05-25-2007, 04:57 PM

414 posts, read 1,376,713 times
It might not be that bad if you make a little less when you start because the cost of living is a lot lower than NY. At least most parts of NY

Old 05-29-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLTZ View Post
It might not be that bad if you make a little less when you start because the cost of living is a lot lower than NY. At least most parts of NY
Thats def. for sure. My GF and I made the visit this past weekend and were blown away at what we could afford on a 30-40K each budget. Looks like you will have 2 more Yankees heading your way soon.... haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: