U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 09:51 AM

4,958 posts, read 10,565,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
Do the bags look like this?

Yup, they sure do. There are hundreds of them. It's kinda creepy, because the bags move around and if you get close enough you can see their little heads poking out. Lovely, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2006, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
Thanks, I now have the creepy crawly feeling!

Maybe this eHow link will help on dealing with them?

http://www.ehow.com/how_9370_control-bagworms.html
Thanks Miker! That was helpful. I actually went out this morning and got insect killer (which listed bagworms and lots of other critters I've never heard of), which I sprayed on with the garden hose. It must have worked fast, because now hardly any of the bags are moving and the worms inside are oozing out of the bottom of the bags. Lovely image huh? They camouflage themselves so well that they really look like they're part of the tree.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:01 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,649,825 times
Another note and I think someone else mentioned it too somewhere, if you are in an area where a lot of constructions is going on, all these little critters then you may not normally see come out due to what is going on nearby, there are looking for new homes too.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
Another note and I think someone else mentioned it too somewhere, if you are in an area where a lot of constructions is going on, all these little critters then you may not normally see come out due to what is going on nearby, there are looking for new homes too.
Very true. A new phase is starting construction down the street, and a lot of tree clearing is going on . We've seen a lot of black snakes in our yards lately, and I think they're coming out of the construction area.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:41 AM

956 posts, read 4,067,937 times
Sure depends on where you live in the state. I lived in Western NC for five years and never saw a biting fly until I moved down east. Talk about a pestilence.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:44 PM

1,044 posts, read 3,402,252 times
I've seen those Bagworm things on bushes here in Chicago. I have a bad feeling you may have to trim off the areas they've already infested, in order to let the healthy parts grow.

Well that's what they do here.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:19 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,752,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt4fam
Thanks Miker! That was helpful. I actually went out this morning and got insect killer (which listed bagworms and lots of other critters I've never heard of), which I sprayed on with the garden hose. It must have worked fast, because now hardly any of the bags are moving and the worms inside are oozing out of the bottom of the bags. Lovely image huh? They camouflage themselves so well that they really look like they're part of the tree.
Oozing??? Um, thanks (as I am eating my BLT pocket and the mayo is "oozing" out the side of sandwich)- I'm no longer very hungry!

Seriously, glad the eHow site worked!

Now if someone could help me with my Bermuda grass!

Old 07-26-2006, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
Oozing??? Um, thanks (as I am eating my BLT pocket and the mayo is "oozing" out the side of sandwich)- I'm no longer very hungry!

Seriously, glad the eHow site worked!

Now if someone could help me with my Bermuda grass!
Sorry I spoiled your appetite! It is pretty gross. I had no idea these things existed in the midwest. I lived there for 20 years and never heard of them. You learn something new every day!

Old 08-14-2008, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,664 times
help i planeted some leyland cypress trees and my neighbor informed me that he saw bagworms on them what can i do to protect my trees. (help)

Old 08-14-2008, 03:15 PM

5 posts, read 10,714 times
Default Bagworm solutions

Pick the bags off (wear gloves to protect your hands from the prickly parts of the plant) or kill the caterpillars:

*How to Control Bagworms

Aunt Martha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina