Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2006, 10:14 AM

2,187 posts, read 7,978,852 times

Advertisements

You are in high demand around here! I am doing some research and noticed you live in N. Raleigh. It is number one area on our list. Test scores aside because honestly IMO much more goes into a school or comes out of it than test scores. What N. Raleigh schools are the best? I have a 3rd, 5th and 7th grader. High School will be in our near future as well so I really would love love some honest feedback regarding the down and out on the area schools. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2006, 10:40 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,153,992 times
North Raleigh and Cary typically have the best schools, even though its all Wake county public schools. Right now...Leesville Road Elem. and Wakefield Elem. have the higher scores and homes in those areas are a bit more expensive. But...remember WHY homes in certain areas are more expensive than others? Yep...supply and demand. And what makes the demand so strong? Schools, shopping, jobs, etc. I have 4 kids and 3 have grad. from Sanderson High School. Sanderson's scores are a bit under Leesville HS but I think Sanderson is a better school. My opinion. I've had l child go to Carroll Middle School and 2 go to West Millbrook Middle. Yes, Wake county schools moved them but...one school is 2 miles down the road and the other is 4 miles. My youngest, 12, is at Carroll Middle School. I like West Millbrook better but she loves Carroll and is getting all A's. Hope that helps! Vicki

Old 07-26-2006, 11:35 AM

2,187 posts, read 7,978,852 times
I knew that those two school areas were the best. But in example around here there are two top schools. My kids went to the second best one until last year and then they re-arranged the boundaries and we got moved to THE BEST school. The one everyone wanted blah blah blah. Well after a year there I was sorely dissapointed. They may have the best test scores but everything else leaves much to be desired! My dd actually came out of second grade at a lower reading level and overall perfromance level than she did when leaving 1st grade. We are playing catch up. Not to mention the way they handled certain social situations. I will be glad to move away from that school! So I am not as intested in test scores as I am a school that has good kids, and handles themselves respectfully. The top middle school in our country also has caught kids giving sexual favors in the halls. I will take a lower test score and resticted better behavior any day! Thanks for your imput!

Old 07-26-2006, 05:25 PM

Well...thats what I meant about the HS. Sanderson, which doesn't score as high as Leesville HS, is a better school...meaning less drugs less obnoxious behaviour, etc. etc. etc. So...as long as your kids are willing to learn and the school has an active PTA...sometimes the scores just don't tell the full story. Vicki

Old 07-26-2006, 05:33 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,899,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR
Well...thats what I meant about the HS. Sanderson, which doesn't score as high as Leesville HS, is a better school...meaning less drugs less obnoxious behaviour, etc. etc. etc. So...as long as your kids are willing to learn and the school has an active PTA...sometimes the scores just don't tell the full story. Vicki

I so agree the scores are statistics, and sometimes a very small piece in evaluating a school.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:24 AM

741 posts, read 3,503,807 times
I went checking on greatschoolsdotcom, and it was free to check the parent inputs on the schools. When I wanted to do a comparision with the NJ school my kids attend, get this, for NJ schools you have to pay $14.00. LOL , come on. Nothing free in NJ. Unbelievable! Way to go NJ.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:21 AM

Wake County Public School System also has a free website that you can check the scores. I like the great schools website. They also tell you how many kids per class.

My daughter is 12 and at Carroll Middle School. Its an older school and they are re doing the 7th grade hall. They set up some trailers but instead of the kids being in separate classrooms, they made an entire school out of the trailers. Funny part is...it has halls and classrooms and once inside, you can't even tell that its not a regular school. I tease her and tell her that even though we live in North Raleigh, she goes to school in a trailer!!! Do you think she cares? Not at all. Kids are so resilient! If the parents don't make such a fuss...the kids are fine. Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: