U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 03:17 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,744,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S.
Fly of course. I have free US Airways flights and live in Charlotte which is one of their hubs.

I drove almost 1200 miles from Minneapolis to Charlotte on just over 3 tanks of gas a few days ago using cruise control most of the way. Almost $40 per tank. Similar sized car to an Accord, with a 2.4L inline 4 engine.
That's great. I think that's what I'm budgeting and I'll be glad to hit NC and see no tolls! Thanks for the help everyone, the confirmation was very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2006, 03:28 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,331,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD
This amazes me considering to get from one end of CA to the next it is upwards of 12 hours or more! Long distance driving is a way of life out here one I am looking forward to not having anymore We are fortunate that my Dh's company pays for the move including the cars to be shipped out. We thought of shipping one and driving the other. Dh is looking into air fares though. He thinks that work will pay for the flights out as well for all of us. I hate to fly and would love to drive!
hey there CAKD: when we moved back my husbands work took care of everything (flying us out, cars, etc.)...but when I moved my parents back to the Carolina's....I flew out there (CA), rented a car..then drove them back. We took our time (but of course it was not a sightseeing trip as I was rather anxious to get back as it was getting close to Christmas). I drove the entire trip, it was easier than I thought (but not a trip I would want to do again)....and sorry folks but I did not think I would ever get through the state of TEXAS....it just kept going and going and going (this also happens to be the only place I was pulled over too...but the PO was very nice and let me go without a ticket). My vote would be to fly out...as I would think you are going to have plenty to do once you arrive back here anyway (like I mentioned earlier...it was easier than I thought....but when I got home....I was Exhausted...and could have slept for days)

Old 07-26-2006, 03:33 PM

1,874 posts, read 6,875,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas
hey there CAKD: when we moved back my husbands work took care of everything (flying us out, cars, etc.)...but when I moved my parents back to the Carolina's....I flew out there (CA), rented a car..then drove them back. We took our time (but of course it was not a sightseeing trip as I was rather anxious to get back as it was getting close to Christmas). I drove the entire trip, it was easier than I thought (but not a trip I would want to do again)....and sorry folks but I did not think I would ever get through the state of TEXAS....it just kept going and going and going (this also happens to be the only place I was pulled over too...but the PO was very nice and let me go without a ticket). My vote would be to fly out...as I would think you are going to have plenty to do once you arrive back here anyway (like I mentioned earlier...it was easier than I thought....but when I got home....I was Exhausted...and could have slept for days)

I have driven to Arkansas several times in my life from here in So cal since my fathers family is there. I don't recall ever driving though Texas. If we do drive I will try to route it so I don't drive through there! I can only imagine how long it took to get through that state. We just returned from our all Summer road trip of the East coast. Amazingly we did not get pulled over once. The speed limits were so sllllooooowwww there compared to here in CA. It was hard for us to remember not to drive 80!

Old 07-26-2006, 04:44 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,331,475 times
Quote:
I have driven to Arkansas several times in my life from here in So cal since my fathers family is there. I don't recall ever driving though Texas. If we do drive I will try to route it so I don't drive through there! I can only imagine how long it took to get through that state. We just returned from our all Summer road trip of the East coast. Amazingly we did not get pulled over once. The speed limits were so sllllooooowwww there compared to here in CA. It was hard for us to remember not to drive 80!

My dad picked the route (20)....which he said was due to the time of year (December)?...and since I was Driving Mr. and Miss Daisy I just went along with it. He's a retired truck driver...so its just easier to say Yes Sir You have more than likely driven the (40) to Arkansas in the past. My Mother and her side of the family are from OK (just outside of Ft. Smith Arkansas) and (dating myself here) we use to go from CA to OK via Route 66 (now that was travelin' )

Old 07-27-2006, 10:03 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,059,742 times
My bro & sis in law are going to fly out as we have 3 cars to drive back. We have a travel trailer to pull also. We are shipping our 2 classics in an enclosed carrier.

Never driven past CO, so should be interesting. Looks like we take I40, 2,430.3 miles!

Old 07-28-2006, 08:29 AM

889 posts, read 2,843,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
Hello All,

Doubt if I will do this, very much doubt it, but I figured I'd at least price it out. I was wondering the cost of shipping a vehicle from your point of origin to NC (Charlotte or Raleigh areas). I only got one quote (2 minutes ago) to ship a Honda Accord to Pineville,NC for $1000! I guess I'm trying to avoid driving, but it seems that's the most cost effective (therefore we won't need plane tickets) and and we'll have our own car there. I'm leaving my other car here in MA since I'll be back and forth for a while (least a year).

p.s:

We're coming from Boston, and I'm less than 30 days away!!!!! Stuff is EVERYWHERE (in the house) and I think I've gotten a mild heart attack once or twice, fortunately the wife and I are patient with each other.

To those that are praying folk, please keep us in your prayers.

Thank You!

Mike
Save the money and drive!!!
I to wanted to ship mine out ( from Calif!!) but drove it. Not fun but i saved a ton of money as my car is a Jetta so it's good on gas. I was getting quotes from around 1,300-1,500 to ship and my husband said NO WAY!!!
he drove his truck anf towed the travel trailer ( now we are selling it!!) and i followed.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:52 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,217,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc
Save the money and drive!!!
I to wanted to ship mine out ( from Calif!!) but drove it. Not fun but i saved a ton of money as my car is a Jetta so it's good on gas. I was getting quotes from around 1,300-1,500 to ship and my husband said NO WAY!!!
he drove his truck anf towed the travel trailer ( now we are selling it!!) and i followed.
I also have a Jetta and assuming the price per gallon doesn't exceed $3.10 per gallon, I should be able to drive the 2500 miles for under $170.00. Looking forward to the drive.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:23 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,744,863 times
Well I've concluded that I'll drive the vehicles. I'll send my family down on a couple of cheap one way tickets from Boston to Charlotte (pricing them out around $105 each) . That way at least my wife will be rested (since driving is a tiresome task) and can hit the ground running, and I'll be there a day or so later

Old 07-28-2006, 12:19 PM

483 posts, read 1,445,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1014
Forget NY rush hour, we got stuck in Maryland for over 2 hours.
If you can do it, drive down on an early Saturday morning. My husband did and he no traffic. Because even if someone left NY before the rushour, they would face the rushour in Washington and Virginia by the time they get there.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:22 PM

483 posts, read 1,445,894 times
Quote:
This amazes me considering to get from one end of CA to the next it is upwards of 12 hours or more! Long distance driving is a way of life out here one I am looking forward to not having anymore We are fortunate that my Dh's company pays for the move including the cars to be shipped out. We thought of shipping one and driving the other. Dh is looking into air fares though. He thinks that work will pay for the flights out as well for all of us. I hate to fly and would love to drive!
We're in the same boat. We could have had our vehicle shipped by the moving company but what I found out is that our stuff won't be delivered until several days later. They said it's because they show up in one of those really big rigs, load everything up with a lot of extra space to take another move on the way down. So with that being said, we can't leave the vehicle with them and now I have to figure out what bare necessities I need to load in our car since we won't be getting our stuff until days later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina