U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:14 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,899,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy
Is McCain liberal? I guess within the Republican party nowadays he is?!

I watch a lot of history and political shows and many political commentators say in todays day and age, Reagan, Nixon, and basically any Republican president from 1980 backwards would be considered "liberal". The reality is the party has swung as a whole very heavily to the right in the past 15 years. So to call McCain a liberal... maybe in this day and age. Lincoln the most beloved president and Republican would be a Democrat in today's political culture. He was open minded and had advisors he listened to and I admire that. Not like the current administration.

To the independent like me, McCain is pretty middle of the road and he is genuine (as genuine as a politican can be) - hence he is interesting to me. He listens to people on both sides of the aisle and he actually works on things that matter such as political contribution reform, etc. Gore I think has a lot of vision, and is very intelligent. He was talking about Global Warning 20 years before others were... I like that sort of vision even if I don't like all policies or political views he has, or McCain has. Again not a political post - I think those 2 would be interesting in debate and to hear what they think

I didn't mention Hillary you notice She is a true politican and will tell you what you want to hear...hence I think the 2 candidates above (who like all politicans sway somewhat in the wind) are more genuine and hence more interesting. I know others only want people who conform 100% to their beliefs... I'd rather have a lot of intelligence and openness to listening to good ideas from both parties at the top. But thats what makes this a country - we all have different opinions

Republican Party conservative? What a laugh!

Old 07-27-2006, 11:17 AM

1,531 posts, read 6,843,456 times
Quote:
I also have a link showing population growth from 2000 census to 2005, and those were also the same counties that showed heavily population losses (Northeast Carolina) Orange County also showed population loss but the counties ringing Charlotte, Triangle, and Asheville showed the strongest population growth (obviously)
Orange showed population loss?!?! That doesn't sound right at all that any county in the Triangle region would have population loss...they all seem to be booming. Granted, Orange hasn't skyrocketed as much as Wake, obviously, but all three of its municipalities (Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Hillsborough) have been adding residents pretty steadily over the past couple of decades.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:39 AM

333 posts, read 1,097,098 times
Default I found is strange too

RB,

Here is the link... I found this when I started doing my initial research on a move to NC. It is a long "study" but very informative. The loss in Orange county between 00 and 04 is in table 9b

http://www.ncatlasrevisited.org/Popu...ngeWithinState

Counties Orange and Lee lost population (red shading) - everything else around Wake showed very big growth (dark green shading)

This is where I saw that NE North Carolina lost population in past 5 years, as did the SE part (not by the coast)

Old 07-27-2006, 11:48 AM

333 posts, read 1,097,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
From Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Orange County, NC

The county was named for the infant William V of Orange

Orange County is one of 100 counties in North Carolina. The county is in the Durham metro area.

The estimated population in 2004 was 117,515. This was a decrease of -.60% from the 2000 census.

My guess is that people left Orange County because it is getting so much mjore expensive than the other areas around it.
wow, interesting website - great for stastics junky like me haha

In the politics area it shows in each and every city in any state who voted for whom in the 04 population. So that was the data missing that started this thread, that was just for the counties. So now one could look at the major cities within each county and get even more detailed info.

Another question - I tried to go to both the charlotte newspaper and the raleigh paper and search for "price appreciation by city" and "price appreciation by county" etc... just looking for trends, usually every major paper has real estate sections where they post this each quarter but for the life of me I could not find that data on either website. Anyone ever find something like that? I found the ones for San Diego and Northern Virginia in about 10 seconds on their websites... could not dig it out anywhere on google or the newspapers for NC 2 big city areas.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 04:17 AM..

Old 07-27-2006, 12:10 PM

1,735 posts, read 4,228,937 times
Quote:
Is McCain liberal? I guess within the Republican party nowadays he is?!
I watch a lot of history and political shows and many political commentators say in todays day and age, Reagan, Nixon, and basically any Republican president from 1980 backwards would be considered "liberal".
You have that backwards. Maybe after Reagan repub politicians starting leaning more to the left.

Quote:
The reality is the party has swung as a whole very heavily to the right in the past 15 years.
The party has always been to the right the leaders have moved closer to the center. You have to be coming from the far left to not see this.

Quote:
So to call McCain a liberal... maybe in this day and age.
McCain is the medias repub darling. Why do you think they swoon over him so much?

Old 07-27-2006, 12:34 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,668,076 times
Quote:
RB,

Here is the link... I found this when I started doing my initial research on a move to NC. It is a long "study" but very informative. The loss in Orange county between 00 and 04 is in table 9b

http://www.ncatlasrevisited.org/Popu...ngeWithinState

Counties Orange and Lee lost population (red shading) - everything else around Wake showed very big growth (dark green shading)

This is where I saw that NE North Carolina lost population in past 5 years, as did the SE part (not by the coast)
This is the site for NC Census data.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/map...olina_map.html

Old 07-27-2006, 01:54 PM

1,531 posts, read 6,843,456 times
Quote:
wow, interesting website - great for stastics junky like me haha
A statistics geek? Boy you really would fit in here in RDU area!

Old 11-13-2006, 11:18 AM

3,114 posts, read 4,144,898 times
Any comparison on how NC counties voted in 1996 and 2000 versus 2004? I think that urban areas of North Carolina are trending blue, like Northern Virginia, which could have implications on the state's electoral votes probably by the 2012 or 2016 elections.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:41 PM

110 posts, read 365,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Any comparison on how NC counties voted in 1996 and 2000 versus 2004? I think that urban areas of North Carolina are trending blue, like Northern Virginia, which could have implications on the state's electoral votes probably by the 2012 or 2016 elections.
Urban areas of NC have almost always trended Democrat. The Charlotte Observer reported on 11/06 that many newcomers would tend to vote Republican.

Dont forget that political spinning aside, Dems typically raise taxes and support unions. Something that has really hurt middle class Americans up north.

Unfortunately several bond measures passed in Charlotte in the last election. Utterly worthless bonds like the housing bond. Where the city will tax you a little extra so they can spend that money to keep up certain neighborhoods where the residents that live in them couldnt care less how their neighborhood looks...

Old 11-13-2006, 05:26 PM

915 posts, read 2,311,245 times
NC isn't as red a state as many may think. After last week's election, the state has a democratic governor, lt. governor, and a majority of the members of the US House of Representatives are democratic (7-6). Both US Senators are republican. The state senate is now 31-19 democratic and the state house is 68-52 democratic. Should be interesting to see how the influx of northerners alter the political landscape over the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina