Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 03:00 PM

776 posts, read 1,679,198 times

Advertisements

Hey all...well I put off getting my license renewed. And it's taken me one full hour before they normally close on the day my license expired to realize that I forgot it expired. And I just cannot there today.

I searched these forums and searched the DOT's site and I'm kinda getting a mixed bag of answers to what happens next. Some say I just need to go in there and they'll treat me as a license renewal with vision and traffic sign test...others say that if it expired, I'll need to apply for a new license with the full test and all that nonsense.

Have any of you had this happen? I mean, I'm gonna try to get there the very next time they're open (Monday, hopefully), which will be a few days after it expired. It'd just be nuts if I go in there and they tell me I've got to take all the tests over again (especially since I would need to brush up on my driver studies!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 03:18 PM

983 posts, read 3,972,028 times
You'll just go in there and renew it...happens all the time.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:33 PM

776 posts, read 1,679,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
You'll just go in there and renew it...happens all the time.
You mean I won't have to slip them a fifty? Sounds too good to be true...

Old 01-29-2010, 07:33 PM

197 posts, read 477,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
You mean I won't have to slip them a fifty? Sounds too good to be true...

nah, just renewed mine took 20mins and 30 dollars for the renewel, ouch! They will give you a certificate good for 30 days until they mail you a new ID.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 15,847 times
MY n.c. drivers license expired 6 years ago and I have moved in to a new house 6 months ago. But I have a fla drivers license that does not expire for another 3 years. I am retired and need to know what is the best thing to do to get a n.c. license by the way no tickets.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:54 PM

263 posts, read 568,116 times
NCDOT: New to NC or Moving?

The link above lists how to get your NC license. The fact that your FL license hasn't expired doesn't matter. The law is you have to get your NC license within 60 days of moving here, but if you go ahead to DMV and get it done now, there's no penalty for having waited (since really, they won't even know).

I moved away from NC for a few years back in the 90's, and when I came back, I gave them my out of state license to transfer it to NC. They found me in the computer from when I lived in NC before and just treated it as a renewal. Since you've been gone 6 years, I don't know if they'll do the same, but it's possible.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 13,106 times
I had a driver's license for about 8 years when I moved to California in 2008 & let my NC license expire. I moved back to NC in 2010 but I've never gotten my license back b/c I lived in Charlotte (took the bus) and just got an NC ID instead. Now I live in the Salisbury area and need to get my license renewed, will I have to take the driving test again?

Old 06-16-2014, 07:44 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,477,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepfan84 View Post
I had a driver's license for about 8 years when I moved to California in 2008 & let my NC license expire. I moved back to NC in 2010 but I've never gotten my license back b/c I lived in Charlotte (took the bus) and just got an NC ID instead. Now I live in the Salisbury area and need to get my license renewed, will I have to take the driving test again?
Why can'y you call your local office and ask the source?

Old 06-17-2014, 09:42 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,660,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepfan84 View Post
It's up to the discretion of the DMV if they make you take the driving portion, but unless you really present as a risk, you should just have to take the written portion and surrender your CA license. Best way is just be prepared. (I just had to retake my driving portion because I goofed and let my license expire for over a year...and it really was a piece of cake.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina