U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 09:01 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,651,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1
What I dont understand is how can gas in Oregon where my family is be 3.02 a gallon and it isnt self-serve, and here it is 3.00 and is. I dont get that.
Two things impact the prices, the state taxes and what the cost is to bring to an area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2006, 09:09 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,225,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
Two things impact the prices, the state taxes and what the cost is to bring to an area.
Here is a third reason, the location of the gas station. Where I live the gas is usually .10 to .20 more than a town 5 miles away. In Malibu it can be .50 + more per gallon.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:11 AM

12,009 posts, read 28,285,295 times
I read once that if we all stop using Exxon and their affliates, that they will lower their price of gas, due to supply and demand. And if they lower, the smaller companies will too. Would it work? I don't know but I do not buy exxon anymore. Since I only fill up once a week or less and drive a small car (sticks out her tongue to those of you driving the big gas guzzlers that she can't see over) I don't think I can do it alone! Vicki

Old 07-27-2006, 09:13 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,999,012 times
So NC has a high gas tax? I have no idea anymore of what Oregon tax is like on gas, cant be much though.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:15 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,651,304 times
You know what I find interesting about this entire gas thing, they say prices rise because there is a shortage, now for those of you who recall, the the 70's there was a REAL shortage yet prices didn't go up, is paying more doesn't change if there is no gas avaialbe. The gas co argue their plants due to hurricane, etc...when the price of a barrel moves up 50 cents the next day they move the prices up here (they didn't buy the gas at that price) but when it goes down $1, the price remains high

Old 07-27-2006, 09:23 AM

217 posts, read 738,469 times
Default Oregon.....

Oregon's gas tax is $.24 per gallon (gas and diesel) In Salem right now gas is between 2.89-2.92 for most of the name brand gas (76(conoco,phillips), shell, cheveron(texaco)) It varies a bit by location (such as close to the freeway or not) There are some mom and pop places or places like Arco that are cheaper by a penny or two. As far as Exxon...I don't know if there is even one in town. There is one in Dallas (small town outside of Salem) and they are ALWAYS $.11 more that the chevron that is right across from it. ALWAYS $.11.... I am not sure why it is always that amount but it is.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:30 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,999,012 times
cool thats for the info, havent been back in awhile so i wasnt sure.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:37 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,225,156 times
Quote:
You know what I find interesting about this entire gas thing, they say prices rise because there is a shortage, now for those of you who recall, the the 70's there was a REAL shortage yet prices didn't go up, is paying more doesn't change if there is no gas avaialbe. The gas co argue their plants due to hurricane, etc...when the price of a barrel moves up 50 cents the next day they move the prices up here (they didn't buy the gas at that price) but when it goes down $1, the price remains high
Prices went up in CA.
If you want to be angry with someone you can turn to the town next to you and the guys in the pinstripe suits and suspenders. These guys are the ones that are driving up the cost of oil the most. Anything that can effect getting gas to the pump is scrutinized and if there is the slightest hint of an interruption the price per barrel goes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR
I read once that if we all stop using Exxon and their affliates, that they will lower their price of gas, due to supply and demand. And if they lower, the smaller companies will too. Would it work? I don't know but I do not buy exxon anymore. Since I only fill up once a week or less and drive a small car (sticks out her tongue to those of you driving the big gas guzzlers that she can't see over) I don't think I can do it alone! Vicki
This has been going around the internet for a long time. The problem is that there are so few oil companies that even if you didnít buy from Exxon you would buy from another and the oil companies would still profit.
If you want to make an impact you have to either stop driving altogether, buy a more fuel efficient car, or ride a bike. Thatís about it.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:31 AM

336 posts, read 402,250 times
Quote:
How can they say they are not price gouging
Oil is sold on a commodity market to the highest bidder. India and China are now bidding on much more of it as they both have fast growing middle classes buying cars. We are still paying half the price that my brother and sister inlaw in the Netherlands are paying.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:48 AM

333 posts, read 1,096,352 times
Default Oil profits

Ok now I see why NC has the most # of posts by a long shot - half the messages are nothing to do with moving to NC

That said, let me give some perspective.
First I don't defend oil companies, but its more an issue of government and lack of foresight, will explain below

Exxon rakes in huge profits yes, but as a % of their revenue they have what is considered in the business world a low profit margin. For example if they had profit margins like say Microsoft, their profits would be about 5x what they are now. They have a low profit margin business, BUT their VOLUME of product sold is immense and hence the profits in real dollars are huge.

Next, the cost of "gas" is about 50% determined by crude oil prices which have gone up from about $30 a barrel to $75 in the past 18-24 months. That is a fact and cannot be disputed. Now, with that said, the huge 4-5 companies in the US control the entire supply chain, meaning every step in the process from drilling oil to refining it to delivering it to your local corner they control and like any middleman, they take a cut at each step... but there are no middleman's in most of the chain, they are the middleman in each stage.

By the way, the government is still (at these prices) giving tax breaks to these oil companies from programs in the 1990s when oil was much lower...even at these profits.

So what are the reasons for this (better to understand than to just complain)
1) US uses 25% of the worlds energy - we don't have 25% of the world's population. I think the ratio is something like 18 barrels per person. Now compare this (here is the scary part) to the average Chinese person who uses around 1. Now the reason I say that is USA has about 300 M people, China has 1 Billion. So even if China goes to 1/3rd the consumption of USA in about 10 years, that will create an immense demand on the world supply, and supply is getting hard to find and many of the best spots are in countries that don't like us or we are currently in a big mess (Iran, Iraq, Venezuela)

2) Politicians and regulators allowed mega mergers. Instead of 12-15 medium to large companies competing, we have about 4-5 MEGA companies. As in any industry you reduce the # of players, you get less competition. See local cable companies and local phone companies for great example (although in past 3-4 years this is starting to change)

3) Politicians and policy makers only look out to their next election, not 20-30 years down the road like they should. I can UNDERSTAND that though because if they dont worry about their skin, they get kicked out of office and MOST good policies take decades to implement, not weeks or years. Example; Brazil is now totally independent from foreign oil. After the 70s shock this "2nd world country" decided to make a plan and use their huge sugar cane fields to create a distribution systems for ethanol. Now they look pretty smart. But it took 20+ years and vision. Here in the US we are too busy fighting gay marriage and stem cell research to worry about "big picture" things like oil dependence. We only worry about it (politicians) when its an election year and/or gas is $3.00+. (sorry I get on my soapbox)

So if the 70s were the first shock, and we planned ahead 30 years, we could all be on corn ethanol...not as efficient as oil, but even if only 40% of the population was using ethanol, and 60% gas/oil, as the world's largest user of oil, we would reduce world demand by a ton.

4) Lack of refineries. The process from going to crude oil to gas requires refineries. The US has not built a refinery in 30 years. They are big, smelly, ugly, but necessary buildings if we are to stay on our oil addiction. No one wants them in their state. So there are bottlenecks...every year our consumption of oil goes up 3-4% but now we have no more capacity. When a hurricane hits in Gulf and takes out our refineries (where many are located) we hurt even more. Again, no big picture plan (i.e. I may not be a politician but what about closed down military bases, lots of space there, and away from main parts of civilization)

Anyhow, we are basically prisoners to oil producting countries, many of which have governments who are at major odds at us but we have zero leverage because we need their #1 export. So they are becoming rich, basically wealth is being transferred from us to them, think of it as a gas tax, and we can't do anything about it, because all we care about (politicians) is getting re-elected 2, 4, or 6 years out. Same thinking is going into medicare and social security - no one wants to tackle tough areas where there is any sort of controversy or requires a big national plan.... and even if there were good ideas, the people across the aisle would fight it tooth and nail because as we know, the "other party" can't have good ideas. What a system
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina