U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 05:29 AM

219 posts, read 682,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeckoff1 View Post
We are from Bordentown , Burlington County

Melissa
UPDATE- We have just sold our house in Bordentown .The kids and I wil be down in Taylorsville as of the beginning of July.The house closing ,in NJ,will be 7/31/06 and my husband will come down then.Hooray!!! that we finally sold.
Melissa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 05:31 AM

739 posts, read 2,409,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Colts Neck, in Monmouth County. Nice place to live, but I'm never going back!

Patty nj, get to that beach! It's the one thing I miss.
LOL, If it would only stop raining.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:56 AM

862 posts, read 1,138,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Ahhhh, I know Bloomfield well! Big change, heh?

Before moving to Somerset County I lived off of Park Avenue for several years. My 85-year-old aunt lives on Belleville Avenue (a couple of streets behind the high school) and refuses to budge. Bloomfield was also included in my sales territory. Not likely to get pizza like that in SC but certainly you've found peace of mind?

SL
Oh yeah - it's MUCH MUCH better down here in all regards. We lived in the Oakview section of Bloomfield and loved everything about it except for the high mortgage and high taxes. We miss our neighbors a lot. Our SC neighbors are nice enough, but we LOVED our NoNJ neighbors who became more like family in the five short years we lived in Bloomfield.

Despite that, SC was the better place to be for us, so we don't regret the move at all and love Fort Mill.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:28 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,567,306 times
Matawan. still trying to get rest of family to move to NC. We are going there in August to visit friends in Lynchburg VA then going to visit Grandfather Mountain.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:41 AM

53 posts, read 142,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraNJ View Post
Ultgar, we are right around the corner in Harrington Park. Hoping to relocate next year after my oldest graduates high school. Haven't seen anyone else from this are on the boards. Good luck with your new venture. When are you moving?
Sorry for the delayed response. We're closing at the end of the month and still trying to sell our home in Woodcliff Lake. Taxes and cost of living are the 2 big reasons for the relocation. I have a home based business that really needs to be moved to a larger commercial location to grow properly. As you know, commercial rentals or building purchases don't come cheap in Bergen County.

We were going to build in Woodcliff Lake but property taxes would have been in the $30-40k range for a 5500 sq ft home. We're paying close to $20k here in Emerson and you don't get much for that money.

The home we bought in Mooresville (in Iredell county) has about $4000k/yr in taxes plus another few thousand for being part of the Pointe community at Lake Norman. The house has a lot of charm and more importantly, came fully furnished and decorated so my wife and I don't have to fight about these decisions. See Sconset Village House (http://www.ultimategarage.com/personal/simonini/hawthorne.html - broken link) .

We looked a little further south on I77 at Cornelius and Huntersville (we love Birkdale village) but my business will probably be in Mooresville anyway since most of the Motorsports guys are here.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Steve D

Old 06-15-2007, 11:43 AM

112 posts, read 458,316 times
Hunterdon County here. (Readington twp.)

Old 06-15-2007, 05:30 PM

29 posts, read 65,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeckoff1 View Post
UPDATE- We have just sold our house in Bordentown .The kids and I wil be down in Taylorsville as of the beginning of July.The house closing ,in NJ,will be 7/31/06 and my husband will come down then.Hooray!!! that we finally sold.
Melissa
You won't be very far from me. I'm in Bethlehem. How old are you children?

Old 06-16-2007, 07:48 AM

161 posts, read 500,424 times
Just the people I wanted to connect with.

We are from Middlesex County and are considering a move to the RTP area. A job opportunity has presented itself and certainly would offer us a better quality of life. However, the job offer is significantly less than what I make here (a bit less than I expceted). We would be cutting our income in 1/2 at least. Obviously, we would hope that my DH would locate a job in short order after we made the move. But still, the combined income will be much lower.

We do have a house to seel, but we've owned it for only 2.5 years and it's appreciated a "smidge." With the market the way it is, we would be luck to break even.

A difficult decision that shouldn't be. We are struggling with the desire to leave this area for an improved quality of life that we think the RTP area can provide us. However, we wonder whether or not we can really improve our lives on an income that's about half what we make now.

Has anyone made the decision to leave this area with a reduction in salary and have found it to be worth it? Can a comfortable life there b/w 60-80K be made?

I'd love to hear from you via post or PM.

Thank you!

Old 06-16-2007, 07:21 PM

29 posts, read 65,198 times
Well, our combined salary was cut by about 20K when we moved here, but our expenses were cut by more than half, so we're actually better off now.
It was hard for my husband to take such a pay cut, but I tell him that it's not about how much money is in the paycheck, but how much money is left in the bank after the bills are paid.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:54 AM

100 posts, read 271,021 times
we are in manville (somerset county) and i decided to put this house up sale yesterday after my mortgage went up due to my property taxes (escrow payment). Moving to NC. My prior neighbors two doors down moved this year as well. I will take about a $20,000 paycut as well, but OH WELL. We need a better life without me having to work two jobs. And I would like some land. That would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina