U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,164 times

Advertisements

I am another person who moved to North Carolina (Raleigh) from Southern California and we couldn't be happier here. It's gorgeous, affordable, and everyone is so, so friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2006, 01:15 PM

543 posts, read 1,633,313 times
We've been in Huntersville for about a month now. Love it so far and the time has flown by. Kids have a bunch of friends already. Love the fox and the hound at birkdale, nothing like sitting outside, having a beer and people watching. Easy to get to everything. Traffic at certain times is a tad slow, just takes a little patience and planning if you go at the wrong times.

mvn2nc, have to try to get together soon we've been so busy that we haven't had time to plan anything yet. How much longer for your house to be done?

Mark

Old 07-28-2006, 01:48 PM

889 posts, read 2,846,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh
We've been in Huntersville for about a month now. Love it so far and the time has flown by. Kids have a bunch of friends already. Love the fox and the hound at birkdale, nothing like sitting outside, having a beer and people watching. Easy to get to everything. Traffic at certain times is a tad slow, just takes a little patience and planning if you go at the wrong times.

mvn2nc, have to try to get together soon we've been so busy that we haven't had time to plan anything yet. How much longer for your house to be done?

Mark
Hey Mark- anytime you want to get together is fine w/us.
Birkdale, sitting and having a cocktail would suite me fine!!!
Just p.m me anytime
Our house should be done sometime in Sept. so the contractor says.
It's comming along quite nice so it's really getting exiting to see it.
Roof and electrical are where we are at on it at this point.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,844 times
Default made the move and love it!

We moved here from northwestern PA in 1989 with two small children. They are now grown and we are thinking about where we would like to retire someday. We have travelled alot but this (Hickory, NC) area is now home. There are pros and cons to any place depending on what your likes and dislikes are. People are people. BUT, the weather is wonderful, you get acclimated to the heat (July & Aug) after a while. Besides, everything is air-conditioned. There are so many people moving in from other areas that make this area grow and become more diversified. There will always be good ole' boys and bible thumpers but they're everywhere. We are 1 hour away from Charlotte, which we love, and the mountains are 1 hour in the other direction. and it's 4 1/2 hrs. from the beach. So we think we have it all. Except, for the traffic problems, pollution, & outrageous real estate that more urban areas have. We've looked at Savannah (they really don't like northerners and let you know it - they want you to spend your money, they just don't want you to stay), Jacksonville, FL is too confusing and local government is a joke. Also, high crime rate. Columbia SC is also lovely but even hotter in the summer. Just some ramblings, good luck with your move.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:38 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,067,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD
Thanks for the encouragement. I just want to be there! The longer we stay here the harder it gets!
Any luck on the house sell? No luck with ours. We are in North Orange County, CA. I agree, the longer were here the harder it gets.

Me too, born and raised here.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:43 PM

1,874 posts, read 6,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
Any luck on the house sell? No luck with ours. We are in North Orange County, CA. I agree, the longer were here the harder it gets.

Me too, born and raised here.

No luck. Our realtor is having an open house tomorrow. I am hoping and praying an offer comes through. OUr flyers have been emptied from our box the last two days. Gosh I am stressed I just want it to be done. Good vibes...good vibes! How long has yours been on the market?

Old 07-29-2006, 12:01 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,067,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD
No luck. Our realtor is having an open house tomorrow. I am hoping and praying an offer comes through. OUr flyers have been emptied from our box the last two days. Gosh I am stressed I just want it to be done. Good vibes...good vibes! How long has yours been on the market?
6 months, since Feb. Not even an offer, although 2 couples were close. We had 13 open houses and stopped doing them, they weren't doing anything. We have had quite a few flyers disappear this week, we get all happy and then say, not that it means anything. Good luck tomorrow, let me know. Sending good vibes your way.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:55 AM

259 posts, read 1,092,675 times
I have moved from Lakeland, Florida to Charlotte, NC last month. I believe I will be happy in NC once I've lived here long enough to be sure. some pro's and con's (from my individual perspective)

Pros
Spring and Fall is beautiful. The summer is hot, as high as 94-95 right now, but still more bearable than FL's humidity.
Hurricanes.... not even concerned about them anymore. Only thing I worry about is whether or not the make me come to work when the roads ice up, which they probably will a couple days this winter.

In charlotte I'm less than 2 hours from the mountains, and a friend of mine owns a condo on Beech mountain which gives me a reason to trek out there. Its gorgeous in the summer, pleasantly warm but breezy and awesome views and roads to drive. I've always wanted to snowboard and maybe some winter I will.... for free! This is HUGE to me because FL is as flat as a pancake and I hate driving long distances there because its boring! At least in NC there is some scenery, maybe if you've lived here your whole life you take it for granted but to people like myself I appreciate it.

Lots to do- many rivers worth owning a small boat and trailer for (something I'm considering in the future). Whitewater rafting, caves and caverns to visit and show to my sons. Countless scenic natural places to explore off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Much more appealing to me than an overpriced amusement park, which is what abounds in my old region of FL.

Home ownership more accessible- I work in warehouse distribution so I don't make big bucks. Paying 300K to have a newly built home with tiny yard in my old hometown just wasn't an option, paying +150K for a decent older home still out of my range, and anything under 150 wasn't liveable with only a single bathroom, or being 80 yr old wood frame construction thus subject to $1500/yr homeowners insurance along with more maitenance and the fear that if another hurricane comes through I might not be able to renew HO insurance.

Now for the Cons
Not too happy with Charlotte- seeing HUGE divide in the classes of citizens here. 500K homes in South Park and Myers park for the rich, and seeing nice older homes for less than 100K but in the ghetto, with not too much in between the two extremes. Seems like if you want your kid to go to a school with like-minded people and not ghetto kids you have to live in above mentioned rich areas or move the heck out to other counties. Guys I work with have cars broken into, robbed at gunpoint, gas stations held up all the time right near where I work, grocery stores being held up in broad daylight- that stuff just didnt happen in my old hometown much at all. Swat team standoffs in west charlotte neighborhoods, shootouts, it all goes down here but if you got the $$$ you can live in a fairly safe neighborhood away from it all, and too bad for those who need a 100K house. I'm moving out to a lesser develeoped area most likely that hasn't boomed yet like Huntersville to the north, or pineville/waxhaw/ballentyne/indian trails to the south and east.

If it weren't for needing to be near other homes/families for my kids to go outside and play like I did growing up, I would move out to the boonies and have a larger older home on an acre for under 100K and still be less than 20 minutes from work, but the wife has pointed out that just wont work for us.

Last edited by fromcenFL; 07-31-2006 at 11:03 AM..

Old 07-31-2006, 11:19 AM

293 posts, read 865,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcenFL
I have moved from Lakeland, Florida to Charlotte, NC last month. I believe I will be happy in NC once I've lived here long enough to be sure. some pro's and con's (from my individual perspective)

Pros
Spring and Fall is beautiful. The summer is hot, as high as 94-95 right now, but still more bearable than FL's humidity.
Hurricanes.... not even concerned about them anymore. Only thing I worry about is whether or not the make me come to work when the roads ice up, which they probably will a couple days this winter.

In charlotte I'm less than 2 hours from the mountains, and a friend of mine owns a condo on Beech mountain which gives me a reason to trek out there. Its gorgeous in the summer, pleasantly warm but breezy and awesome views and roads to drive. I've always wanted to snowboard and maybe some winter I will.... for free! This is HUGE to me because FL is as flat as a pancake and I hate driving long distances there because its boring! At least in NC there is some scenery, maybe if you've lived here your whole life you take it for granted but to people like myself I appreciate it.

Lots to do- many rivers worth owning a small boat and trailer for (something I'm considering in the future). Whitewater rafting, caves and caverns to visit and show to my sons. Countless scenic natural places to explore off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Much more appealing to me than an overpriced amusement park, which is what abounds in my old region of FL.

Home ownership more accessible- I work in warehouse distribution so I don't make big bucks. Paying 300K to have a newly built home with tiny yard in my old hometown just wasn't an option, paying +150K for a decent older home still out of my range, and anything under 150 wasn't liveable with only a single bathroom, or being 80 yr old wood frame construction thus subject to $1500/yr homeowners insurance along with more maitenance and the fear that if another hurricane comes through I might not be able to renew HO insurance.

Now for the Cons
Not too happy with Charlotte- seeing HUGE divide in the classes of citizens here. 500K homes in South Park and Myers park for the rich, and seeing nice older homes for less than 100K but in the ghetto, with not too much in between the two extremes. Seems like if you want your kid to go to a school with like-minded people and not ghetto kids you have to live in above mentioned rich areas or move the heck out to other counties. Guys I work with have cars broken into, robbed at gunpoint, gas stations held up all the time right near where I work, grocery stores being held up in broad daylight- that stuff just didnt happen in my old hometown much at all. Swat team standoffs in west charlotte neighborhoods, shootouts, it all goes down here but if you got the $$$ you can live in a fairly safe neighborhood away from it all, and too bad for those who need a 100K house. I'm moving out to a lesser develeoped area most likely that hasn't boomed yet like Huntersville to the north, or pineville/waxhaw/ballentyne/indian trails to the south and east.

If it weren't for needing to be near other homes/families for my kids to go outside and play like I did growing up, I would move out to the boonies and have a larger older home on an acre for under 100K and still be less than 20 minutes from work, but the wife has pointed out that just wont work for us.

Thanks for all of your input. I hope you will be happy once you are there long enough!! We will be moving to the Indian Trail area which is southeast of Charlotte. We were told to stay away from anything with "west" in it. (from Charlotte). Indian Trail seems like a very rural little town. Yes, there is construction going on, but you still have your cows in between the communities! Let's hope it stays like that.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:34 AM

336 posts, read 401,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous
Zaxby's is a chain resturant - it's a drive-thru, but it's not 'fast food', i.e. you always have to wait a minute for them to prepare it. It's really good, and I've had a craving for it for about 2 weeks now. They have one in High Point, so I'll have to make the pilgrimage there sometime soon.

They sell different chicken dishes - salads, sandwiches, chicken fingers, wings, etc., but not standard "Fried chicken" like KFC or Bojangles would sell.
One of these was just built about 2 blocks from my place in Charlotte. I will have to try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or