Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 10:28 AM

25 posts, read 55,002 times

Advertisements

I have been contemplating a move to SOMEWHERE in NC. I currently live in Iredell County (Troutman area) and I have also lived in Mooresville, New Bern and Kernersville. They all had somethings I liked and some I didn't pretty much like anywhere else in the world! The reason I lived where I did was because of my employment.
Now, my situation is changed... I am now self employed with a little savings that will see me through a move and getting started back up with my business.
So, where would you suggest?

Here are the details:

I am 50(ouch) year old, newly divorced female.
I have 3 dogs, a couple of cats and 2 horses (which do not need to move with me.)
I am a professional dog trainer ( my business) and I also supplement my income by writing, and public speaking.
I have enough $$ saved to allow me approximately $1700.00 a month to live on if I have no other income that month, for about 6 months.

My ideal 'hometown:'

- friendly people with enough income that would allow for them to pay to train their dogs!
- a dog friendly environment
- slow-ER pace than say Charlotte, but more to do than say - New Bern.
- close to airport/university
- suburban or somewhat rural area ( since I will be living alone, I would like to not have to drive 2 miles to the nearest neighbor...)
- home rental opportunity ( not ready to buy just yet)

I liked the lifestyle around Lake Norman in Mooresville - but hate the traffic.
I liked the friendliness of New Bern but the median age was higher than I liked and too far from fine dining or shopping...
I liked Kernersville access to Winston Salem, but being a "bedroom community" I found it hard to make friends...

I like 4 seasons, but don't own a snow plow or snow blower

ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 10:38 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Hillsborough is a little town that is kind of a "bedroom community" of Chapel Hill (e.g. university) and obviously not far from RDU airport.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:00 PM

69 posts, read 181,551 times
Hillsborough or North Durham (same area) are good choices. South Durham by Jordan lake or Apex would also work. Less traffic in North Durham and Hillsborough but South Durham/Apex would be a lot like Lake Norman but with less traffic. I-40 during rush hour is the big traffic bottleneck.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:55 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Is there a specific reason you want to get away from where you are yet stay in NC? What is an "ideal" town (by your criteria) turned out to be in Tennessee, Georgia, or Virginia, in other words?

Old 02-15-2010, 03:45 PM

25 posts, read 55,002 times
Default rethinking....

Francois... you have a good point... I really don't know why I want to stay in NC...other than I have been here 10 years and I guess I feel like I know the "customs" so to speak
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina