U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 05:29 AM

8 posts, read 16,800 times

Advertisements

Hello Griag/Holt fam - My parents live in Point Pleasant (Ocean County) and will relocate with us as well. I have to tell you, it is kind of scary, the thought of moving out of state. Where am I going to get good Italian bread? The move will be a culture shock to me at least, my wife could care less, but my 9yr old is already expressing his displeasure. We live in North Jersey, a town of approx. 11K people. Cary is 130k+. The schools seem to be good in Wake, but I have learned that they transfer (bus) kids to a different school each yr, due to overcrowding. We have visited Cary and talked to residents. Most say Cary and Apex are the same, Wake is a little further away. Chapel Hill is also suppose to be very nice, and they also have the #9 ranked HS of the top 100 High Schools in the country. I think I will visit the area again in a month or so to get a better idea. The job market for me is not as strong, I am in the security field, and unlike the tri state area, security does not seem to have many options. This has made my decision a little tougher. If anyone gets any info on the area, please share it, I need all I can get, and I am about to break this PC. on another note, it will be 70 degrees in Cary on Thurs. Keep in touch.

Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2006, 12:01 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,112,375 times
Default Warmer than you thought

Guess what Tom it will be 80 degrees in Cary on Thurs. So I will be off to the beach for the day. One good reason to be a realtor. You work alot but if you need a day off why not take a nice one. A good reason to move to NC and stay-the weather. I can't say I would be having that if I s tayed in Conn.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:25 PM

15 posts, read 112,879 times
Try the Triad, (winston-Salem, Greensboro, And High Point) Or even Clemmons the schools are great and the Community is great.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:10 AM

312 posts, read 1,742,168 times
I have been researching NC for 5 months now and I'm still learning something new every day! You'll be surprised when I tell you that Wake County school is great, but alot of parents are dissatified with the assignment problems. I learned this from subscribing News & Observer newspaper in my FL mail every week. One child go to same school for 2 years, then changed to a different school, then again change to another one meaning long commute drive instead of walking to school closer to your home! I also learned that living near Apex is scary because there is a nuclear power plant in New Hill, NC, which is not too far from Apex. I also learned that many Cary residents are moving out and move further away due to overcrowded and school assignment problems. I also learned that Knightdale is having gang-related crime problem and they just established a curfew for kids - meaning no more playing outside after 7 pm! I also learned that most brand-new home subdivisions do not allowed kids to be playing on the street. I also learned that there are no basement in most home. The more time you research, the more things you will learn something new. We are moving to Clayton next month after the sale of our current FL home.

Old 03-03-2006, 06:58 PM

16 posts, read 77,753 times
My wife and I have been here 22 years. We are from NY, via Texas and we absolutely love it here! We have raised our 3 sons here and could not imagine living anywhere else. We have helped several friends relocate here and are willing to help others do the same. If you want any information, just let me know. Happy to help,
Jay

Old 03-04-2006, 01:29 PM

4,958 posts, read 10,590,840 times
Hi C21Jay,
We are moving to Apex in 10 days from NJ. Can you give me any info. on Apex? I've been reading a lot of posts here and in other forums and have read mostly positive things. Another opinion would help too though. We're renting in Apex for 6 months until we get familiar with the Raleigh area. Then we'll decide where we will buy. Thanks for any info. you could provide!
Alex

Old 03-04-2006, 02:19 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,112,375 times
Touche Jay this is a wonderful place to live. I relocated here and everything about this area is wonderful. Cakeprincess you will love it here and don't listen to all that crazy info. There is no perfect place but in my eyes this is almost it. Alex good luck on your move and welcome to the area. You have my numbers and email if you need my help.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:31 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,357,603 times
Hi Jersey crowd,
I am going to be relocating in a few months to the Charlotte area. I'm now in Monmouth County. My husband was laid off in October and we've decided to make a move for better quality of life. I did a lot of research on NC and SC before choosing a town called Stallings in Union County. Great schools, tremendous growth, and only 30 minutes into the city.

Old 03-04-2006, 06:08 PM

9 posts, read 27,964 times
Default Feel your pain

New to Concord NC. from Michigan, We love it we have 4 boys ages 8-15 Homes are nice and neighbors are wonderful. We are in Cabarrus County schools and from what I hear they are pretty good. You can buy a 2500sgf home for under 200K and taxes are cheapper by far also. Good luck with your search... Im loving it.. It was 83 here on Thursday and people are already cutting their grass........ Did I say I used to live in Michigan. LOL

Old 03-04-2006, 06:26 PM

8 posts, read 16,800 times
Default tough decisions

I really want to make the move but I have been reading alot about weird stuff going on with the schools in wake co. and they are suppose to be the best, or one of, in NC. Overcrowding seems to be a problem, what is the town doing to prevent it from continuing? More schools mean more taxes, and that is what we want to leave behind in NJ. By the way, 24 degrees in NJ and the ice will take another 5-6 days to thaw on the front porch and steps from the snow/ice storm Thurs. Keep the info comming. If there are any garden staters in cary that can give us an opnion or advise?
Tom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or