Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 8,055 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Fayetteville/Cumberland County area this summer because my husband got orders to Ft. Bragg.

We are looking at purchasing a house at Flowering Bradford Way which seems to be a good distance away from the city of Fayetteville.

I have a 7 year old daughter who will be starting third grade next year. PLEASE HELP and let me know what the best private or public elementary school is in the area. Currently, the house we are looking for is zoned for Stoney Point Elementary.

Please also let me know if there are better places/areas in Fayetteville that we should look to purchase a home that might be suited better for a family with a young child. Or what your thoughts are of the Flowering Bradford Way area.

Thank you VERY VERY much. This is a big move for my daughter and I want to make sure I make this move a good one for her.

I have heard horror stories of Fayetteville, the crime and the poor education. As far as I can tell from my research, Stoney Point Elementary is one of the best in that county.

Please help. Thank you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 05:22 AM

983 posts, read 3,986,713 times
Stoney Point in is the Jack Britt school district. Jack Britt & Cape Fear are the 2 best districts in Cumberland County.

Don't let the horror stories scare you. Fayetteville is NOT as bad as some on here would lead you to believe. You'll find the bad if you search for it....just like anywhere else.

The Stoney Point area is a wonderful area to live in.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:25 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,419 times
You should be happy with that part of town and with the public schools. As far as private schools you can look up Fayetteville Academy, the many Christian schools, St. Patrick's and St. Ann's (my daughter went to pre-K there and we loved it). I built a new house recently in the Grays Creek district so my daughter could go to Gallberry Farms Elementary.

There is a lot to do in the Fayetteville area if you go out and look and get involved. Browse though some of the old posts and ignore all the naysayers. The town can have it's share of trouble but it is easy to avoid shady areas.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:54 AM

305 posts, read 767,799 times
LRoyal,

I grew up in Fayetteville. Is Terry Sanford still a good high school? It was one of the best when I went there 25 yrs ago. VanStory was the elementary school.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:00 PM

Terry Sanford has had some issues lately.

FayObserver.com - Terry Sanford principal suspended during grades investigation (http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2009/11/05/949656 - broken link)

Old 02-18-2010, 12:20 PM

305 posts, read 767,799 times
Oh yeah, I heard about that. Was it a one-time blip or indicative of the current vibe there?

Old 02-18-2010, 12:45 PM

Don't know for sure. I suspect sports took on too much of a priority.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:13 PM

983 posts, read 3,986,713 times
The "city folks" consider Terry Sanford to be superior to anywhere else. But out in the county, a lot of us consider Jack Britt & Cape Fear to be at the top---Cape Fear has been listed in US News & World Report for the last 3 years as one of the top high schools in the United States!

Old 02-19-2010, 06:27 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Fayetteville Schools

Old 02-19-2010, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 8,055 times
Thank you all so much! You have definitely qualmed any jitters or last minute butterflies in my stomach. I really appreciate all the post responses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina