U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-02-2007, 01:21 PM

5 posts, read 32,823 times
Default 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000

Does anyone know anything about the hearing with DMV to get your license restored?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 01:31 PM

867 posts, read 2,456,003 times
NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Driver Handbook: Chapter 3

Quote:
North Carolina law requires that a restoration fee of $50.00 be paid to the DMV before a suspension, revocation or cancellation can be cleared. (This fee is not required if the license was taken for medical or health reasons following a medical evaluation.) A $75.00 restoration fee is required when the revocation results from a DWI conviction. Also, a service fee of $50 is required upon restoration of a revoked or suspended driver license unless the license was surrendered to the court or mailed to the DMV before the effective date of the suspension or revocation.

For the reinstatement of your driving privilege:

1. visit any driver license office;
2. pay a restoration and/or service fee;
3. reapply for a driver license; and
4. take required tests, if any.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
Thanks.
I was actually asking about the hearing itself and what is involved with it. I have to take 3 witnesses that will testify that I am not drinking and driving. Does anyone know if they do urine or blood tests?

Old 06-03-2007, 02:03 PM

21,685 posts, read 37,039,790 times
Since you state you are concern about urine or blood test it can only mean that you have not taken care of the problem that has gotten you in this situation in the first place.

I hope you seek help and admit that you might have a problem before you end up in this situation again or dead or someone else killed or end up in a institution. Focus on you or whoever this situation relates to in getting professional and non professional help.

I notice you are in the concord area attend some of the meetings listed in the link below it only a hour you have to spend of a day. What a great way to have a good character witness than a sponsor from one of these groups
Metrolina Intergroup - Alcoholics Anonymous - Meeting Schedule
If you find that it is not enough try to commit to one of the treatment facilities. Wish you the best of luck .

Old 06-03-2007, 03:56 PM

16,311 posts, read 13,146,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labradornut View Post
Thanks.
I was actually asking about the hearing itself and what is involved with it. I have to take 3 witnesses that will testify that I am not drinking and driving. Does anyone know if they do urine or blood tests?
If you are worried about blood or urine tests it really sounds like your drinking or drug using buddies are the 3 witnesses you have lined up to lie for you. Take the bus.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the concern.
Confession time: It's actually not me that I am asking about.
The person I am asking for still drinks some, but would never drive while drinking - I know that for sure. She did have therapy for this. I do not believe she is an alcoholic. She was just lost, but now she has found herself and is very focused on what to do with her life. The lesson was definitely learned.
We were just wondering if any of the tests were done.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:01 PM

787 posts, read 2,369,533 times
A lot of what you do after a DWI depends on how many times you have been caught. After the first offense, you usually lose the license for a year and after that point, you will receive a letter stating that you can go do a Driver's License Issuance office and pay somewhere around $75.00 to $85.00 and merely get the license. After the second and third offense it gets more complicated. After the second one, usually you can just go to the office after 4 years and do the same thing but if you get caught more than 3 times, a hearing is usually required and you have to have witness and I can tell you from personal experience with someone I know that if he hasn't been to AA and doesn't basically admit he is an alcoholic whether it is true or not, he probably won't get the license back on the first hearing and possibly the second one either. This particular person I know got 3 DWI's, well one DUI and two DWI's before it was changed to DWI's in less that 7 years. He went without driver's license for 10 years and finally at the last hearing he was allowed a priviledged license for the first 3 years which meant he could drive from 6 AM to 8 PM and that was it. When the 3 years rode out and he was still clean, his license was reinstated without restrictions. On December 1, 2006, DWI became a felony. Lord only knows what they do now to people with them.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:03 PM

2,267 posts, read 27,260 times
If you want to be a real friend to this person...help him stop drinking...it seems pretty clear from what you have said that your friend can't handle drinking at all. In no time at all he could be back behind the wheel of a car while drunk.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:16 PM

787 posts, read 2,369,533 times
They can also install this really expensive machine on your vehicle at your cost that you have to breath into as well as anyone else that drive your car in order to check to see if she/he is drunk when they are attempting to drive. If you blow over a .08, the car won't start. But I agree with Lisa, too many people down here try everything in the book to get the license back after they have lost them and the only way to really do it is to take the classes, get the machine, go to AA or whatever you need to be a responsible driver. I know a few people that are able to drink and never get behind the wheel of a car again when they have lost their license. But they are few and far between. And the laws in North Carolina are getting tougher and tougher. I thought they were bad in the 80's when this person lost his license and went 10 years without any. He got his license back in 1994 and I don't think you could pay him to drink and drive. At least I have never seen him do it. But like I said, it became a felony on December 1, 2006 and I have no idea what other provisions the new laws made. And even if you are not techncially drunk or blow less than a .08, the law can still charge you with driving while consuming an alcoholic beverage. It ain't worth the court cost not to mention the lawyer's fees or any other trouble you can get into while drinking and driving.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:48 PM

21,685 posts, read 37,039,790 times
Hi, I am very concern this person you care about is not ready to receive their drivers license as a previous poster has stated you do not get a hearing til usually 2nd DWI and I know you want to believe they will not drink and drive again but it just a matter of time they admit they have a problem and are willing to admit to someone else and have a higher power help them solve their problem.

They wasnt a responsible drinker before and no one just becomes a responsible drinker after having problems and yes they have had problems if they got a dwi. The only way they will become responsbile is to give up absolutely.

As lisa stated you can be a friend and try to help but they only can help themselves when they realize they have a problem. You are concern about urine or blood tests tells me that this person cannot even do without a drink long enough to go to a hearing.

If you are one of the character witness can you honestly tell the hearing officer that this person does not have a drinking problem anymore when you know they probably have it in their system probably not.

They can only help themselves and you can only give so much support maybe drive by or take them to a AA provided in that link above or get the big book and just let them have it and they will decide when they are ready to read it.

From my understanding the hearings usually are very in depth questioning and one may have to go thru several of them if they do not prove they have made a difference in their drinking behavior.

I hope you dont take what I have typed as being harsh just hoping to shed some real light that the problem still exist with this individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: