Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 04:33 PM

24 posts, read 62,194 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to NC within a year and would like advice on which area to move to. I got married 2 years ago and would like to have children and a nice home in the near future, but I cannot afford one in NJ. I visited Charlotte this past March, and liked the Pineview/Matthews area. I would be very content to live in a new subdivision, in a good school district, and within a reasonable driving distance from shops/entertainment. My priorities would be a safe neighborhood, good school district, and a new home. I am looking for a home between $150,000 - $225,000. Thank you for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2006, 05:12 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick
I am planning to move to NC within a year and would like advice on which area to move to. I got married 2 years ago and would like to have children and a nice home in the near future, but I cannot afford one in NJ. I visited Charlotte this past March, and liked the Pineview/Matthews area. I would be very content to live in a new subdivision, in a good school district, and within a reasonable driving distance from shops/entertainment. My priorities would be a safe neighborhood, good school district, and a new home. I am looking for a home between $150,000 - $225,000. Thank you for your input.

Davidson the half in Cabarrus county(cheaper taxes) or Mooresville area you can't go wrong. Just my opinion.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:02 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,493 times
Just curious what part of Jersey are you coming from? We're in Somerset County. Trip to Charlotte is booked for August 24-27. Travelling with my other half, our boys who are 8 and 12, 18-year-old daughter, my grandmother and 10-year-old niece. Every week the trip gets bigger! Originally it was only supposed to be and my sweeteart.

We might be crazier enough to take a leap of faith and buy during this trip. We'll see.

Good luck to you guys/

SL

Old 07-31-2006, 11:50 PM

26 posts, read 121,289 times
Check out the Davie County, Clemmons and Lewisville areas. These are all withing 10-20 minutes of Winston Salem and about 1 hour from Charlotte. I live in Davie County because of the school system. My daughter is now 12 and is getting ready for her second year of middle school. I wouldn't think of leaving this area because of the school district. I am a Realtor in this area and can send you some info on these areas if you would like. Just email and let me know.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,317 times
Bumping to get responses. Thanks!

I am living in NJ and looking to move to NC, just waiting for house to sell.

Old 08-03-2006, 07:21 PM

24 posts, read 62,194 times
I am currently living in Bergen County NJ, about 20 minutes from Manhattan.
When I was in NC this past March we saw brand new homes in Matthews for $150,000. The same house here would be $500,000 if you are lucky. Downtown Charlotte was completely devoid of any signs of life on Sunday when we were there. It was a small, newer city with a few good restaurants, but not much to do. That was a bit of a letdown having been accustomed to Manhattan. We drove around a lot during our 3 day stay. A lot of strip malls.
A lot of restaurants. I couldn't locate any center of activity around which everything revolved. Thats something I would have liked to see more of. There was a big mall which looked new with tons of stores. I hate going to the mall in NJ because of the crowds. But there it was almost empty...I loved it! The stores, the homes are all newer, and quieter. Everyone I met was friendly. Maybe a bit on the boring side, but I'm sure I'll find more things to do once I do more exploring, and as the population explodes.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:17 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick
I am currently living in Bergen County NJ, about 20 minutes from Manhattan.
When I was in NC this past March we saw brand new homes in Matthews for $150,000. The same house here would be $500,000 if you are lucky. Downtown Charlotte was completely devoid of any signs of life on Sunday when we were there. It was a small, newer city with a few good restaurants, but not much to do. That was a bit of a letdown having been accustomed to Manhattan. We drove around a lot during our 3 day stay. A lot of strip malls.
A lot of restaurants. I couldn't locate any center of activity around which everything revolved. Thats something I would have liked to see more of. There was a big mall which looked new with tons of stores. I hate going to the mall in NJ because of the crowds. But there it was almost empty...I loved it! The stores, the homes are all newer, and quieter. Everyone I met was friendly. Maybe a bit on the boring side, but I'm sure I'll find more things to do once I do more exploring, and as the population explodes.

I lived off of Blvd East for almost 2 years, that wasn't too bad. I liked having coffee and looking at the NYC skyline in the morning as the lights would go on little by little. I could see where you would find Charlotte boring. It probably smells better than there though. LOL

Old 08-04-2006, 07:52 PM

20 posts, read 81,056 times
Hi Jersey Posters,

I moved to Charlotte 5 years ago from Clinton, NJ (Hunterdon County) I really love Charlotte but I would not live in certain areas. I currently live in SE Charlotte, near Matthews & the crime is far less out here. I am looking to move to Union County soon. (not Monroe) As of now, the taxes are far less and it is a more rural area in Union County. Please be careful trusting a realtor to tell you the truth about a neighborhood. I have many friends who ended up moving into a bad neighborhood because they didnt know any better. Charlotte-Mecklenburg has many resources online to check crime stats, sex offender registry, etc. I suggest you take a look before buying.

As for the lack of things to do here... you are right! I cannot tell you how much I miss being able to see a Broadway play & tour the art district. Charlotte is lacking in this area but I admit it is getting better!!

If you are looking for crime info, you can check the links here: link removed (advertisement)

Last edited by Yac; 08-05-2006 at 01:15 PM..

Old 08-05-2006, 10:30 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
We're in Mercer County, relocating in spring/summer 2007. I want to move to Raleigh area; DH wants to move to northwestern Missouri. lol We're visiting Raleigh first week of September and Missouri in November to make a choice. We can't stand it here; it is too expensive and both metro areas we are considering pay better than NJ for our line of work. People are rude and everything is rushed.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:38 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,122 times
Good luck choosing where to move to! Whether it's Raleigh (or somewhere else in NC) or Missouri, I hope that y'all will be very happy.

All the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina