Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 08:46 PM

15 posts, read 92,675 times

Advertisements

so how about the retraining program that the ESC offers. you have to take a certain about of credit hours for the retaining process through the community colleges,do you still look for work i dont see why you would cause if you were in school for retraining you coulnt just drop out and start work right? im lookin to do the retraining program but where can i find more info about it? or has anyone did it before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 09:14 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,435,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by country069 View Post
so how about the retraining program that the ESC offers. you have to take a certain about of credit hours for the retaining process through the community colleges,do you still look for work i dont see why you would cause if you were in school for retraining you coulnt just drop out and start work right? im lookin to do the retraining program but where can i find more info about it? or has anyone did it before?
Go to the ESC office and talk to the WIA (Workforce Investment Act) or ARRA (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act) representative(s). They can tell you more about the programs. If you're in school through a state-sanctioned training program (WIA or ARRA), NOT something that you went out and signed up for on your own, then yes, your worksearch requirements can be waived after you start school and if you remain in school. And often, the WIA or ARRA programs can pay for your tuition/books.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:28 PM

9 posts, read 32,967 times
I finally got thru to my HR folks and was referenced the change in severance law: SESSION LAW 2009-366, HOUSE BILL 1090. This apparently does away with previous restriction. Here is the link:
http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2009/B...DF/H1090v4.pdf

Old 10-01-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawleyusa View Post
I finally got thru to my HR folks and was referenced the change in severance law: SESSION LAW 2009-366, HOUSE BILL 1090. This apparently does away with previous restriction. Here is the link:
http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2009/B...DF/H1090v4.pdf
Thanks for posting this. I'm not so sure it means what you think it means. It's confusing, as is most legal mumbo-jumbo - I can't quite grasp their intention. To me, I don't read it as allowing UI and Severance to be collected simultaneously just because all those lines are crossed out. Rather, I see it as possibly not allowing the "attending school" exemption.

But again, haven't heard anything in our office. I am going to forward it to my work email though, so I have something to print out and ask.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 5,914 times
I filed for unemployment on August 23, 2009 for being fired. I received a letter back for Granted benefits on September 30. My processed money was processed on October 1, 2009... now they said to wait 5-10 days for my card to come. It will take a long time... But keep calling in your claims until then.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by country069 View Post
this will be the 4th week this coming up one that ive been waiting for my card...and i have all of 3$ left
Your 4th week after your first payment was added to the card, or your 4th week after you filed your claim? There is a difference, especially if you had a quit or fired situation.

And, you have been doing your weekly certifications, right? Payments are not automatic each week, you have to do the weekly certifications to trigger a payment.

If you filed your claim as a lack of work and your employer responded back with the same, and it has been 4 weeks since you filed your claim, I would call the ESC to find out when the card was issued. You should have had it by now.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknbobo View Post
Pissed off-I was told it takes 10 to 12 weeks now to get any unemployment payments.
Not true at all.

After you file a claim, your employer has 10 days to respond to the form they received in the mail. If they respond within the 10 days and it's a lack of work situation, the claim should go into pay status relatively quickly. Your first payment will be issued after you've served your waiting period. If you're to receive a debit card (as opposed to having signed up for direct deposit), allow 5-10 business days for that card to arrive after the first payment has been added to it.

If there is a quit or termination issue, the time it takes to get the issue adjudicated is running about 5 weeks. If Raleigh rules against the claimant, then the appeal process is taking about 3 months.

Of course we try to stay on top of things and do things timely in my office, but I probably can't say that for the busier offices.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:25 PM

I asked one of my coworkers about this legislation and she thinks that it's old legislation that was not really adopted. She seems to remember that, while NC is attempting to do away with the severance restriction rules, there was some screw up with the language in the legislation and it didn't actually become law. Note that the legislation was signed at the end of July, and between now and then they may have discovered the bad language. Not sure, but my coworker did say that she believes they are still in the process of trying to amend the UI law to allow UI while receiving severance.

But officially, we have not heard anything about this change, as I believe it was because it didn't really actually go through yet.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:10 PM

9 posts, read 32,967 times
North Carolina General Assembly - House Bill 1090 Information/History (2009-2010 Session)

Signed by the Gov. on 7-27-09

Old 10-04-2009, 07:15 PM

616 posts, read 1,750,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawleyusa View Post
Looks like it became effective on Oct 1, 2009.

I am *still* trying to read it and understand it. Whew!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina