U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 06:02 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,143,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchr10 View Post
my benefit year just ended but i filed the T2 eligibility review online with my last and final weekly certification. that was a week ago to the day. i tried to file my weekly today and all it says is my year has ended. are we all waiting for T2 to kick in? i didnt know if T2 was in the same boat as Tier 3 with the 6 week waiting process.
No, different process. See my reply to the message you left on the other thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 06:27 PM

109 posts, read 227,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
If it were me, I would wait to report the vacation payment until the week you get it. At least this way, it would be in line with the week the employer paid it, if anything ever came up down the road audit-wise.
My vacation was paid on December 3rd and I provided the amount on my weekly claim for that week.

I still have an active issue on my acct, which is due to ESC not verifying my vacation with my previous employer.

I talked with my employer's HR manager and she had faxed the verification paperwork on the 24th of November. Naturally, ESC says they have no record of receiving this. They told me the deadline to get that back was November 30.

So now, I'm continuing to wait for the adjudication office to verify that info with my previous employer. What's frustrating is my vacation was now paid 10 days ago and I'm still waiting to receive my first ESC payment.

I've called and talked to a rep and she said I can't do anything but wait until that process is complete.

Do things like this drag on? My original claim was filed on November 15. I'm starting to get worried since it's now mid December and I haven't gotten any payments.

My vacation was for 1 week's worth of pay. I know that "delays" me 1 week. It's sad that I'm waiting for them to verify something that's taken place already.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:47 AM

59 posts, read 158,331 times
Without action by Congress, extended unemployment benefits could disappear
By Richard Craver | Journal Reporter
The new year may ring in especially cold for about 75,000 unemployed North Carolinians, and more than 1 million others nationwide, unless Congress agrees to another extension of unemployment benefits.

If Congress fails to act, the extra unemployment aid provided through the federal stimulus act will expire Dec. 31.

However, if Congress does act, some recipients would well exceed 100 weeks of unemployment benefits -- about four times the normal maximum amount of benefits.

The N.C. Employment Security Commission is preparing to send out 75,000 letters this week to those unemployment beneficiaries who may be affected by the cutoff.

"We're really dealing with unprecedented times," said David Clegg, an official with the commission. "I don't think anyone ever envisioned someone receiving unemployment benefits for two consecutive years."

The jobless rate, at 11 percent in October, has been above 10 percent for nine consecutive months. Since the recession began in December 2007, North Carolina has shed 240,100 jobs.

Economists are projecting that the job market may grow worse in 2010.

According to the Economic Policy Institute, a research group based in Washington, one out of every three unemployed Americans, or about 5.4 million, has been without a job for at least six months.

"Altogether, 17.5 percent of the labor force is under­employed -- more than 27 million Americans, including one in four minority workers," the institute said. "We can expect a third of the work force to be unemployed or underemployed at some point over the next year."

People who qualify for state unemployment benefits are eligible for up to 26 weeks, which is paid through taxes collected from employers. The federal Trade Adjustment Assistance Act provides extra unemployment benefits and a health-insurance subsidy to those workers who lost their jobs because of issues related to foreign trade.

As part of this year's stimulus act, federal unemployment benefits were extended by 34 to 53 weeks depending on a state's jobless rate. North Carolinians were among those who benefited.

In November, Congress extended the benefits by another 14 to 20 weeks, which added up to a combined 99 weeks for those getting the maximum amount in each extension.

About 4.6 million Americans received extended benefits in the week that ended Nov. 21 -- the latest data available.

"I never thought unemployment compensation would be extended for this length of time," said Michael Walden, an economics professor at N.C. State University. "This is another rude surprise from the Great Recession."

For many unemployed people, federal health-insurance subsidies -- consisting of 65 percent of insurance costs under COBRA being paid for up to nine months -- have expired.

Economists estimate that extending unemployment and health-insurance benefits through 2010 could cost about $100 billion. One consideration is using some of the $200 billion remaining in the Troubled Asset Relief Program for unemployment benefits rather than ending the relief program aimed at financial institutions.

Most economists expect that Congress will approve some kind of extension.

But if it doesn't, those who lost their jobs after July 1 would receive no federally paid extension beyond the state-paid benefits. Some may qualify for additional state benefits.

"If the program is not extended, many people receiving insurance payments will be frozen at their current benefit tier," said John Quinterno, a principal at South by North Strategies Ltd., a research company focused on economic and social policy.

"If full federal financing of the extended benefits program ends, it means that the state will be liable for half the costs."

The rising local jobless rates come at a time when North Carolina owes more than $1.5 billion to the federal government for loans necessary to pay unemployment claims. The state has borrowed money since February. Clegg said that the borrowing could exceed $2 billion by the end of the year.

During the last recession, the state borrowed just $270 million for its unemployment-insurance trust fund.

The debt is interest-free through the end of next year because of the federal stimulus package.

Some economists expect that Congress will forgive some of the borrowing amounts so as to not require states to raise their unemployment tax to employers, many of which already are hesitant to add jobs.

Tony Plath, a finance professor at UNC Charlotte, said that extended unemployment benefits "is a ticking time bomb for state government."

"Of course, none of us ever thought we'd see triple-digit unemployment benefit weeks," Plath said. "The most important element in the crisis here is the slow rate at which this economy is putting unemployed workers back to work."

He said that because half of the burden of providing unemployment insurance benefits falls on state government, "we're headed for yet another crisis in the state budget in 2010 and 2011."

"We just can't wait two or three years for the unemployment rate to get back down to 4 or 5 percent," Plath said. "The cost of prolonged unemployment-insurance benefits will bankrupt the state by then."

rcraver@wsjournal.com

Old 12-14-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js33 View Post
My vacation was paid on December 3rd and I provided the amount on my weekly claim for that week.

I still have an active issue on my acct, which is due to ESC not verifying my vacation with my previous employer.

I talked with my employer's HR manager and she had faxed the verification paperwork on the 24th of November. Naturally, ESC says they have no record of receiving this. They told me the deadline to get that back was November 30.

So now, I'm continuing to wait for the adjudication office to verify that info with my previous employer. What's frustrating is my vacation was now paid 10 days ago and I'm still waiting to receive my first ESC payment.

I've called and talked to a rep and she said I can't do anything but wait until that process is complete.

Do things like this drag on? My original claim was filed on November 15. I'm starting to get worried since it's now mid December and I haven't gotten any payments.

My vacation was for 1 week's worth of pay. I know that "delays" me 1 week. It's sad that I'm waiting for them to verify something that's taken place already.
I hope you signed up for direct deposit because, if you didn't, you'll have to wait an additional 5 to 10 business days for your debit card to arrive AFTER the first payment has been posted to it. Once you get the card, however, each payment thereafter is as quick as direct deposit.

Some things take time. I know that's no consolation when you're waiting for funds to arrive. And I won't make excuses for ESC, I believe the folks in Raleigh could act faster on some issues. For what it's worth, they have gotten faster in Adjudication than they were 3-4 months ago. If it were me, I would call your local office and have them look at the notes screen (B.18) on your claim to see what notes Adjudication has posted there, which may indicate at what point they are in the process.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:55 AM

5 posts, read 50,250 times
PLEASE do not be suckered into these lies!

THE FOLLOWING IS INSIDE INFO:

The NCESC is not being forward with their information.
The so called "computer update" is a STALLING tactic.
It is being used by many states for the tier 2 and tier 3 extensions.

States were told to do this by the federal government in hopes of not paying benefits to all claimants eligible, by waiting out the December 31 deadline.

The computer system is just as old as it was in July and December 2008, when the federal government approved the first wave of extensions.

CALL THE NCESC EXTENSION hotline in Raleigh, NC (1-866-795-8877) and demand answers to why the money has not been released.

The only way to move this along is if everyone will begin complaining to Raleigh!
DO IT TODAY, if you want to see your tier 3 benefits!!!!

NO JOKE, THIS IS FACT!

EXTENSION HOTLINE IN RALEIGH: 1-866-795-8877
EXTENSION EMAIL ADDRESS: [EMAIL="ESC.UI.EUS08@NCMAIL.net"]ESC.UI.EUS08@NCMAIL.net[/EMAIL]

Old 12-15-2009, 04:57 AM

5 posts, read 50,250 times
PLEASE do not be suckered into these lies!

THE FOLLOWING IS INSIDE INFO:

The NCESC is not being forward with their information.
The so called "computer update" is a STALLING tactic.
It is being used by many states for the tier 2 and tier 3 extensions.

States were told to do this by the federal government in hopes of not paying benefits to all claimants eligible, by waiting out the December 31 deadline.

The computer system is just as old as it was in July and December 2008, when the federal government approved the first wave of extensions.

CALL THE NCESC EXTENSION hotline in Raleigh, NC (1-866-795-8877) and demand answers to why the money has not been released.

The only way to move this along is if everyone will begin complaining to Raleigh!
DO IT TODAY, if you want to see your tier 3 benefits!!!!

NO JOKE, THIS IS FACT!

EXTENSION HOTLINE IN RALEIGH: 1-866-795-8877
EXTENSION EMAIL ADDRESS: [EMAIL="ESC.UI.EUS08@NCMAIL.net"]ESC.UI.EUS08@NCMAIL.net[/EMAIL]

Old 12-15-2009, 06:34 AM

I did send in my direct deposit form, so I'm okay there. Rather than continuing to wait, I had contacted my previous employer's HR manager. She made a phone call, and now my issue is removed. ESC had left me a voicemail letting me know. They also said my payment will be released in 1-2 days and it was for 3 weeks for the first payment.

My original claim was started on 11/15. I received vacation pay on 12/3, for the week ending 12/5.

I checked my payment history, and it only shows 2 weeks as being processed. Nothing listed for week ending 11/22 or 11/29. I'll wait and see what gets deposited, but shouldn't another week be in there?

Old 12-15-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I did send in my direct deposit form, so I'm okay there. Rather than continuing to wait, I had contacted my previous employer's HR manager. She made a phone call, and now my issue is removed. ESC had left me a voicemail letting me know. They also said my payment will be released in 1-2 days and it was for 3 weeks for the first payment.

My original claim was started on 11/15. I received vacation pay on 12/3, for the week ending 12/5.

I checked my payment history, and it only shows 2 weeks as being processed. Nothing listed for week ending 11/22 or 11/29. I'll wait and see what gets deposited, but shouldn't another week be in there?
Yea, I'd wait to see what gets deposited, because if those two weeks were hung up as part of the issue, then it takes overnight processing for the system to process the issue removal, thus payment for those weeks. Then when those weeks release, it should show on the website.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Yea, I'd wait to see what gets deposited, because if those two weeks were hung up as part of the issue, then it takes overnight processing for the system to process the issue removal, thus payment for those weeks. Then when those weeks release, it should show on the website.
My file says no issues, and the payments I mentioned were processed on 12/14. I got a form NCUI 506D today from ESC. It was mailed yesterday, 12/14. Looks like the exact same questionnaire that you have to fill out each certification. I'm not sure why I got this.

At the bottom, it has a special message saying my acct has an issue, so payment for week ending 12/12 can't be processed, etc. My acct today shows the opposite.

I'm hoping they had sent this out before my employer had verified everything. Also, this form has no dates on it. It has the word "VOID" in each place where a specific date should be. For instance, the certification question list says it's for week ending "VOID". I'm not sure what to do with this when the system now shows everything is back on track.

Is this something to ignore?

Old 12-16-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
My file says no issues, and the payments I mentioned were processed on 12/14. I got a form NCUI 506D today from ESC. It was mailed yesterday, 12/14. Looks like the exact same questionnaire that you have to fill out each certification. I'm not sure why I got this.

At the bottom, it has a special message saying my acct has an issue, so payment for week ending 12/12 can't be processed, etc. My acct today shows the opposite.

I'm hoping they had sent this out before my employer had verified everything. Also, this form has no dates on it. It has the word "VOID" in each place where a specific date should be. For instance, the certification question list says it's for week ending "VOID". I'm not sure what to do with this when the system now shows everything is back on track.

Is this something to ignore?
Yes, ignore this. Just keep certifying as you have been. System glitch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina