Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 01:55 AM

4 posts, read 10,128 times

Advertisements

I thought everyone who was eligible would receive 14 weeks of tier 3 but I was told that I only qualify for 8 weeks. Anyone know something about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 06:01 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whither View Post
I thought everyone who was eligible would receive 14 weeks of tier 3 but I was told that I only qualify for 8 weeks. Anyone know something about this?
This is a HUGE misconception on the part of MANY people who don't read the "fine print".

The extension is UP TO 13 weeks of Tier 3, and UP TO 6 weeks of Tier 4, with the added one week of Tier 2, for a total of UP TO 20 additional weeks of EUC.

It's all based on what the claim duration of your regular UI was. As with all other extensions, it's a percentage of the original duration. In other words, if someone's regular UI claim set for the maximum of 26 weeks, then they'd get the maximum 20 weeks of Tier 1 (80%), 13 weeks Tier 2 (50% - plus the added 1 week from this last round of approved extensions), 20 weeks EB (80%), 13 weeks Tier 3 (50%) and 6 weeks Tier 4. These are, again, MAXIMUMS, and not everyone received the maximum 26 weeks of regular UI when their claims set up.

If you received the minimum 13 weeks of regular UI, then your weeks of extensions would be:

Tier 1: 10 weeks
Tier 2: 6 weeks + 1 week
EB: 10 weeks
Tier 3: 6 weeks
Tier 4: Not sure if this is a percentage, or a flat 6 weeks

If you landed somewhere between 13 and 26 weeks of regular UI, your extensions would be somewhere between my examples.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 AM

767 posts, read 1,848,089 times
jdljr...my DH had exhausted benefits in November, around Jan 1 they reopened his claim and then he received all back pay. He has filed the last 2 weeks and been paid, although it says 2 weeks or less. He received 3 letters...the first 2 said he was not monitarily eligible for "emergency benefits". Yesterday he received a letter saying he was eligible for "EB" and gave an amount. It was less that he has already been paid for. I thought EB meant the state extended benefits program, not federal...and isn't the extension federal? Do you have any idea what this most recent letter means? Thanks.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
jdljr...my DH had exhausted benefits in November, around Jan 1 they reopened his claim and then he received all back pay. He has filed the last 2 weeks and been paid, although it says 2 weeks or less. He received 3 letters...the first 2 said he was not monitarily eligible for "emergency benefits". Yesterday he received a letter saying he was eligible for "EB" and gave an amount. It was less that he has already been paid for. I thought EB meant the state extended benefits program, not federal...and isn't the extension federal? Do you have any idea what this most recent letter means? Thanks.
Honestly, there are many instances where it is necessary to look at the claim before making a determination, and this is one of them. There are so many variables and I would hate to give wrong information. Your best bet would be for your husband to visit the local office and have them explain his claim to him, where they can look at it right then and there. You're right, EB is federal. There is layer after layer of extension and it's almost impossible to wager a guess without looking at the claim.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,448 times
What hapens if you pick up some part time work? is your UI reduced by that amount? Or do you lose your benefits if you work at all?

Old 01-24-2010, 08:27 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderdude View Post
What hapens if you pick up some part time work? is your UI reduced by that amount? Or do you lose your benefits if you work at all?
You are allowed to work part time and collect unemployment.

There is a limit on gross pay you can make (while you collect), but it varies and I don't know the formula..I believe its no more than $140-$150/wk

Old 01-25-2010, 06:26 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderdude View Post

on your determination letter it will state what you can make
outside of your unemployment. It is NOT a lot of money at all.

When you file weekly you will have to claim that money as well.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
You are allowed to work part time and collect unemployment.

There is a limit on gross pay you can make (while you collect), but it varies and I don't know the formula..I believe its no more than $140-$150/wk
It varies from claimant to claimant, and is about 20% of your weekly benefit amount. I also believe that if you would have qualified for more than the maximum weekly benefit amount, then your earnings allowance is also more. Anything you earn over your earnings allowance is deducted dollar for dollar from your weekly benefit amount.

Let me also add that if your intention is to secure full time employment and you take a part time job but are still actively, aggressively looking for full time employment, then yes you can still draw unemployment and report your weekly earnings.

If your regular and customary employment was part time and were laid off, then you take another part time job, you should stop filing for unemployment, as unemployment is not meant to subsidize part time employment when that is someone's regular and customary time base.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 5,477 times
Default does any one know Unemployment tier 3 qualifications?

I have received max benefits and extensions until now. I just received a letter Jan 4 saying I would not qualify for tier 3. It doesn't make since because I receive maximum amounts now. Does anyone know what the qualifications are. I recieved the 26, 13, 20 weeks etc... Did anyone else have this issue?

Old 02-05-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5bitts View Post
I have received max benefits and extensions until now. I just received a letter Jan 4 saying I would not qualify for tier 3. It doesn't make since because I receive maximum amounts now. Does anyone know what the qualifications are. I recieved the 26, 13, 20 weeks etc... Did anyone else have this issue?
Did you recently start a new benefit year? If so, and you were able to start a new, regular UI claim, you'll have to go through your regular UI again before getting to the point of any possible extension. If you started a new benefit year and did not qualify for new, regular UI, then they should have started your new benefit year with any unused extension money from your old benefit year. Generally, anyone who has exhausted Tier 2 is should be eligible for Tier 3. But if you have to start a new benefit year and qualify for a new, regular UI claim, that's what'll be set up for you at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina