Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 4,008 times

Advertisements

I filed for unemployment 4-12-10 and today on my online ESC profile the "active issues" has changed from "yes" to "no". Does this mean a determination has been made? My "claim status" remains "regular active claim". Does this indicate a positive or negative outcome for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 07:15 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,435,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1076 View Post
I filed for unemployment 4-12-10 and today on my online ESC profile the "active issues" has changed from "yes" to "no". Does this mean a determination has been made? My "claim status" remains "regular active claim". Does this indicate a positive or negative outcome for me?
I don't think it really signifies either a yes OR a no. You'd have to either wait for the determination to arrive in the mail or call to find out if you've been disqualified or not.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,981 times
Default nc unemployment benefits

hi, i'm new at this so please be gentle with me. however my question is this, if i relocated to a new state while collecting unemployment and did not notify nc esc, what are the consequences?

Last edited by rprince; 05-09-2010 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: did not spell check

Old 05-09-2010, 04:35 PM

107 posts, read 480,401 times
I'm not sure, but it's probably not the kind of thing you'd want to be caught doing. States can be very protective of where their money is going. I'd guess most lenient punishment would be simply having to repay everything you've received since moving. But I think providing false information like that is probably a felony offense, so it could be much worse than just having to repay.

Those are just guesses. I'd let the state know, if I were you.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:01 PM

413 posts, read 701,235 times
I think you would still collect from North Carolina in your new state, but it would come through their local office. At least that's the way it was 30 years ago when I moved while collecting unemployment. Things may have changed since then.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:46 PM

33 posts, read 105,175 times
You would still collect from North Carolina since you collect from the state you worked in not the state you live in (if they are different obviously). I am currently living in NC and collecting from another state. I do not go through NC at all and the other state knows I live here since the move was the reason for my unemployment (husbands job moved us out of state). I would let them know though. I mean you have to update your contact info anyway so I'd give them a call.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:44 PM

39 posts, read 73,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
A B1 transaction is simply a transaction to either 1) open a new, initial UI claim, 2) reopen a claim that has been idle for more than 4 weeks but the last employer didn't change, 3) reopen a claim to change the claim from Temporary to Permanent, 4) reopen a claim where a benefit year is still good but the claimant went back to work for either the same or a different employer but got laid off again or, 5) an attempt to have the claim build EB (Extended Benefits). What a "B1" is in NC may be called something else in a different state.

Basically it's a transaction to open or reopen a claim.
jdljr, i appriate ALREADY how helpful you have been to me, just be being able to read your old posts.

my question is this. lets says for my initial determination all five quarters were above $6,000. ( i say this because i think that means when they redetermine for this NEW year, at least 2 of those old quarters will still be used)
My benefit year ended TODAY. I am maybe 3 weeks into tier II EUC benefits.
So, if i file tomorrow (sunday) will it say my claim is over???
Will i qualify for a new claim, or will it be denied and if denied, will they let me draw the rest of my tier II EUC?
can i reopen a new claim via the internet, or should i call the 1800# ??

Old 05-29-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboss View Post
jdljr, i appriate ALREADY how helpful you have been to me, just be being able to read your old posts.

my question is this. lets says for my initial determination all five quarters were above $6,000. ( i say this because i think that means when they redetermine for this NEW year, at least 2 of those old quarters will still be used)
My benefit year ended TODAY. I am maybe 3 weeks into tier II EUC benefits.
So, if i file tomorrow (sunday) will it say my claim is over???
Will i qualify for a new claim, or will it be denied and if denied, will they let me draw the rest of my tier II EUC?
can i reopen a new claim via the internet, or should i call the 1800# ??
If today was the end of your benefit year, then that means that the week ending 5/29 is the last certifyable week...so it should allow you to certify tomorrow for the week ending 5/29. Then that will be it for your benefit year and in order to continue to receive benefits, you need to open a new benefit year.

The current base period is 1Q2009, 2Q2009, 3Q2009 and 4Q2009. You will qualify for a new benefit year if:

1) You have wages in at least two of those four quarters equal to or greater than $4,550, AND,

2) Between the date your benefit year began (May xx, 2009) and the date your benefit year ended (May 29, 2010) you worked in at least two quarters during that time and earned at least $4,550. These earnings must be W2 (covered) wages - no 1099, no cash (under the table), no self-employment. Probably the most common way folks will meet this requirement is to have obtained a part-time side job while continuing to search for their full-time replacement job. It is permissible (in fact, encouraged) to have a part-time side job and still certify each week for unemployment - you'd just have to report your earnings each week when you certify.

If you do not meet BOTH of the above, you will not qualify for a new benefit year. If you do not qualify for a new benefit year, then you should still attempt the new benefit year and a "dummy" benefit year will be set up for you in order that you can have your unused extension money pulled forward from your old benefit year into your new "dummy" benefit year for you to draw.

If you do meet BOTH of the above, but the wages earned from returning to work between May xx, 2009 and May 29, 2010 have not been reported by your employer and posted to your base wage file in ESC's system, you will have to prove your earnings in order to get the issue removed that will be established on your claim when you file the new benefit year. When the issue is resolved, you should set up for a new, regular UI claim for anywhere from 13-26 weeks. Whether you will qualify for new extensions after this new round of regular UI will depend on the breakdown of wages in your quarters of the base period (whether you meet the 1.5x rule).

You can re-open a new claim via the internet. But you should not attempt this until the day AFTER you certify for your last payment on your benefit year that's ending. Let the payment process overnight first, and then file for the new benefit year.

Also, if filing online, if you have not had intervening employment (no other employer since you first filed your claim May xx, 2009) you'll be using the same last employer as before. If, when you filed your previous claim it was a QUIT or FIRE situation, that issue has already been resolved via that first claim, and on this NEW claim you would indicate the separation reason as LACK OF WORK. Since the issue from the last claim was already adjudicated and resolved, that separation reason does not need to be examined again, so filing as LACK OF WORK would be correct.

If you had a different last employer since the claim was first filed May xx, 2009 you'd need to use that last employer as long as it was covered wages (paid with a W2). If you don't see that last employer listed on the screen when you're filing, you'd need to indicate that the last employers listed are not correct and wait for someone from Raleigh to contact you (fingers crossed...if after 4-6 days no one has contacted you, contact them).

You can also contat your local office to file a new claim locally and things might get processed a little quicker.

Best of luck!

Old 05-30-2010, 05:11 PM

39 posts, read 73,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
If today was the end of your benefit year, then that means that the week ending 5/29 is the last certifyable week...so it should allow you to certify tomorrow for the week ending 5/29. Then that will be it for your benefit year and in order to continue to receive benefits, you need to open a new benefit year.

The current base period is 1Q2009, 2Q2009, 3Q2009 and 4Q2009. You will qualify for a new benefit year if:

1) You have wages in at least two of those four quarters equal to or greater than $4,550, AND,

2) Between the date your benefit year began (May xx, 2009) and the date your benefit year ended (May 29, 2010) you worked in at least two quarters during that time and earned at least $4,550. These earnings must be W2 (covered) wages - no 1099, no cash (under the table), no self-employment. Probably the most common way folks will meet this requirement is to have obtained a part-time side job while continuing to search for their full-time replacement job. It is permissible (in fact, encouraged) to have a part-time side job and still certify each week for unemployment - you'd just have to report your earnings each week when you certify.

If you do not meet BOTH of the above, you will not qualify for a new benefit year. If you do not qualify for a new benefit year, then you should still attempt the new benefit year and a "dummy" benefit year will be set up for you in order that you can have your unused extension money pulled forward from your old benefit year into your new "dummy" benefit year for you to draw.

If you do meet BOTH of the above, but the wages earned from returning to work between May xx, 2009 and May 29, 2010 have not been reported by your employer and posted to your base wage file in ESC's system, you will have to prove your earnings in order to get the issue removed that will be established on your claim when you file the new benefit year. When the issue is resolved, you should set up for a new, regular UI claim for anywhere from 13-26 weeks. Whether you will qualify for new extensions after this new round of regular UI will depend on the breakdown of wages in your quarters of the base period (whether you meet the 1.5x rule).

You can re-open a new claim via the internet. But you should not attempt this until the day AFTER you certify for your last payment on your benefit year that's ending. Let the payment process overnight first, and then file for the new benefit year.

Also, if filing online, if you have not had intervening employment (no other employer since you first filed your claim May xx, 2009) you'll be using the same last employer as before. If, when you filed your previous claim it was a QUIT or FIRE situation, that issue has already been resolved via that first claim, and on this NEW claim you would indicate the separation reason as LACK OF WORK. Since the issue from the last claim was already adjudicated and resolved, that separation reason does not need to be examined again, so filing as LACK OF WORK would be correct.

If you had a different last employer since the claim was first filed May xx, 2009 you'd need to use that last employer as long as it was covered wages (paid with a W2). If you don't see that last employer listed on the screen when you're filing, you'd need to indicate that the last employers listed are not correct and wait for someone from Raleigh to contact you (fingers crossed...if after 4-6 days no one has contacted you, contact them).

You can also contat your local office to file a new claim locally and things might get processed a little quicker.

Best of luck!
i feel like i owe you, BIG time. That help, is priceless and i do appriciate it.

Now then, i only worked and made MAYBE $200 between may 2009 and may 2010, so essentially nothing.

I do know that i had wages in 1Q2009, 2Q2009 before i was terminated, so i think that should "qualify" me???

Another question i have is that i just heard they extended EUC extensions until NOV 2010. SO, now that my benefit year "ended" is it possible to just reopen a new claim and continue up the EUC "ladder" ???

from what i gather, worst case for me is that they ONLY pull whats left of my EUC tier 2 for my second year (i hope thats the worst)

Also, i have NEVER been on EB, so i wonder, won't i still have that available during my "second" year???

will this help any? My 'initial determination' here shows the following

qtr total 6737.28
qtr total 8420.66
qtr total 7856.91
qtr ttoal 7970.16

the initial based period was 1/1/2008-12/31/2008. so i understand this year it will just be jan'09-dec'09
inintially i got the full 26 weeks + EUC I and now i am 3 weeks into EUC II

reallly, like all of us, i am just a little scared because each time you "extend" or reopen a claim, you never know the 'end' they always say "just keep filing every week"

THANKS for the help

EDIT: and to add, yes, i was fired, and it was already "Determined" in my favor

Old 05-30-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboss View Post
i feel like i owe you, BIG time. That help, is priceless and i do appriciate it.

Now then, i only worked and made MAYBE $200 between may 2009 and may 2010, so essentially nothing.

I do know that i had wages in 1Q2009, 2Q2009 before i was terminated, so i think that should "qualify" me??? - that's just one part of qualifying. You also must, in addition, have worked and earned at least $4,550 between May 2009 and May 2010 in order to qualify for a new benefit year.

Another question i have is that i just heard they extended EUC extensions until NOV 2010. SO, now that my benefit year "ended" is it possible to just reopen a new claim and continue up the EUC "ladder" ??? - the extension has not yet been fully passed. Only partially. Also, if you will qualify for a new benefit year (new regular UI) then that's what MUST be put in place (even if it's a lower weekly benefit amount). If you don't, then they'd do the dummy benefit year for you to continue your EUC.

from what i gather, worst case for me is that they ONLY pull whats left of my EUC tier 2 for my second year (i hope thats the worst)

Also, i have NEVER been on EB, so i wonder, won't i still have that available during my "second" year??? - you will have it available to you only if you do not receive regular UI in your 2nd benefit year. Also, you cannot receive EB if you had any disqualification on your claim. You said you were fired and they ruled in your favor...but did they disqualify your claim at all for like 4 or 8 weeks in the beginning, and then you got to draw? Or was it fully in your favor and you got to draw all of your weeks back to the beginning of your claim?

will this help any? My 'initial determination' here shows the following

qtr total 6737.28
qtr total 8420.66
qtr total 7856.91
qtr ttoal 7970.16

the initial based period was 1/1/2008-12/31/2008. so i understand this year it will just be jan'09-dec'09
inintially i got the full 26 weeks + EUC I and now i am 3 weeks into EUC II

reallly, like all of us, i am just a little scared because each time you "extend" or reopen a claim, you never know the 'end' they always say "just keep filing every week"

THANKS for the help

EDIT: and to add, yes, i was fired, and it was already "Determined" in my favor
See in red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina