U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 04:27 AM

22 posts, read 43,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XmasMouse View Post
Hi Jdljr, I was told today that because of the new law I now don't qualify for the second tier I was getting. I am now in EB of only 8 weeks. Then I will not qualify for unemployment. Are you aware of now the new law is affecting those whom didn't work doing their first year of benefits and now are into their second "dummy" year? Thanks loads.

Im in the same boat as you and there was no law signed yesterday - i was tracking it thoroughly -

I wonder what law they are telling you? or maybe they were referring to the fact that the law hasnt been signed - i dont know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 07:05 AM

39 posts, read 66,400 times
Quote:
Farmboss, I know you're upset. I am too. It's not that people are sitting back waiting for a free handout. People are suffering and the little bit of money we are getting on unemployment is only a enough to push our head up briefly for air. I can't sleep at night hoping and praying someone will call about a job. I can't pay my bills and I have to beg people for a loan or food. It's crazy for anyone to think "we want to live like this."

But please understand JD has really been helping us. The answers come three or four times a day and this person is giving up their time to give us simple explanations. Whomever this person is God bless them and I'm not religious at all but I'm seriously thinking about going back to church.So please be kind.
my anger isn't directed at JD.

AGAIN, restated, it is LAW, as long as i am searching for my 2 jobs, the ESC is supposed to provide me with benefits.

NO ONE IS PROVIDING ME BENEFITS, THUS ESC IN CLEAR VIOLATION OF LAW.

Where ARE the consequences???

i worked for FIVE YEARS AND PAID TAXES. There is no excuse, there is nothing WHATSOEVER that can even begin to even REMOTELY justify this mistake.

it is NOTHING more than North Carolina's "WANTON DISREGARD" of the law. sound familiar? Wanton disregard?

i want what i am LEGALLY entitled to under the LAW. and my FAMILY doesn't give a **** about programming issues.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:21 AM

i spoke with another lady again.

the phone people are getting mad. its 9:12AM, she's been answering phones for barely an hour and she's already pissed off.

its gotten to the point i just mention "code 65 programming issue" and they grunt and groan.

the ESC IS RUINING ALL THEIR CALL TAKERS by forcing them to tell INNOCENT families to starve because their co-workers are inept.

THe LAW IS BEING BROKEN, NO ONE CARES AND NO ONE IS DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT. The ESC is now a criminal entity operating under the sanction of the state of NC.

The EUC LAW IS VERY VERY CLEAR. IF i do my part, i get benefits. THE ESC IS NOT DOING THEIR PART.

i want people FIRED from the ESC (disqualified from their 'benefits') over this. This is an issue, a "prior disqualification" and their should be PINK SLIPS flying.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:42 AM

i have left a message with the Governor and will talk with her.

one way or another, some one will be given consequences for this, i'll make sure of that.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:21 AM

3 posts, read 5,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Technically, no one can predict from one week to the next what someone is eligible for. There is more to maintaining eligibility than just the monetary requirement. You must be able and available and seeking work, not have refused work, etc. You could fall off a ladder tomorrow and break your legs and not be able to work...you wouldn't be eligible for unemployment!

However, I can give you a monetary formula that will let you know if, monetarily, you will qualify for extensions. The formula is: Your total base period wages must be equal to or greater than 1.5 times the high quarter in your base period. Example: high quarter of wages is $10,000. This means that in order to be eligible for extensions, the total base period wages must be equal to or greater than $15,000.

If eligible, Tier 1 EUC pays 80% of your original claim duration. So if your claim set for 26 weeks of regular UI, your Tier 1 EUC would pay 20 weeks (80% of 26 weeks) at the same weekly benefit amount you've been receiving. Tier 2 is 54%; Tier 3 is 50%; and Tier 4 is like 21%. All of this is provided that the EUC program is in existence by the time you get to it. After EUC, there is EB and if you monetarily qualify for EUC, you would monetarily qualify for EB. Now...you cannot get EB if you qualify for a 2nd benefit year and get another round of regular UI in that 2nd benefit year. Nor can you qualify for EB if you have any disqualification on your claim related to a separation issue (quit or a fire).

thanks for your response but Im still fuzzy. When working, I was a salaried employee making 65k annually. So I would not have a 'high' period, all were equal. Does this make me ineligible? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, I do not understand all the rules associated with UI.

Also, thanks for outlining the EUC benefit structure. My regular benefits run out on July 12th. As of today, is EUC still available to me, or did I miss some type of cut off? I beleive I read somewhere that to be elligable for EUC you must exhaust your regular benefits by May 31 2010, is that true? If so, it seems to reward those who have been claiming benefits longer, and punish those who have claimed less.

Lastly, I'm not familair with EB. If EUC is not available come July 12 yet I meet the requirments, will I receive EB? What are the benefits associated with EB?

Thanks for ALL your help!! This seems to be the only place where I can get answers that make sense

Old 06-08-2010, 08:38 AM

22 posts, read 43,587 times
Quote:
You're watiting for both, technically. The pull forward programming in order that your unused extension money be transferred to your new benefit year, and the senate vote so you can continue in the EUC program.

thanks jd

Old 06-08-2010, 11:51 AM

i wish we knew a WHEN the '65 issue' will be fixed.

esc rep said this has been a problem for 2-3 weeks now.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:35 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,143,501 times
Quote:
Hi Jdljr, I was told today that because of the new law I now don't qualify for the second tier I was getting. I am now in EB of only 8 weeks. Then I will not qualify for unemployment. Are you aware of now the new law is affecting those whom didn't work doing their first year of benefits and now are into their second "dummy" year? Thanks loads.
Well, I think you may be receiving EB right now because the EUC program has not yet been extended by the Senate. When that happens, and after the ESC updates the EUC programming in our system (2-3 days after Senate passage) you should be able to go back to getting EUC.

The "new law"...presumably the 6x rule you're referring to...does not prohibit someone from receiving EUC. In fact, if someone doesn't meet the 6x rule in order to qualify for a new benefit year, that paves the way for their unused extension money from their previous benefit year to be transferred to their new benefit year, as long as the issue (65 issue) has been resolved on the claim. I'd speak to someone to make sure that any 65 issue has been resolved on your claim. But technically, any 65 issue should also block EB from paying, so without actually seeing the status of your claim, I really am not sure what's going on. That sounds terrible, I know, but I'm really just blindly trying to surmise what's going on without actually seeing your claim.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:55 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,143,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedandconcerned View Post
thanks for your response but Im still fuzzy. When working, I was a salaried employee making 65k annually. So I would not have a 'high' period, all were equal. Does this make me ineligible? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, I do not understand all the rules associated with UI.

Also, thanks for outlining the EUC benefit structure. My regular benefits run out on July 12th. As of today, is EUC still available to me, or did I miss some type of cut off? I beleive I read somewhere that to be elligable for EUC you must exhaust your regular benefits by May 31 2010, is that true? If so, it seems to reward those who have been claiming benefits longer, and punish those who have claimed less.

Lastly, I'm not familair with EB. If EUC is not available come July 12 yet I meet the requirments, will I receive EB? What are the benefits associated with EB?

Thanks for ALL your help!! This seems to be the only place where I can get answers that make sense
If all of the four quarters used in your base period to qualify for benefits were fairly equal because you were salaried, then clearly you should meet the 1.5 times rule to be monetarily eligible for extensions. Your four quarters may each be somewhere around $16,250. So let's say they were all equal, at $16,250. That would be the figure used as the "high quarter". Therefore, in order to be monetarily eligible to receive extensions, your total base period wages would need to be equal to or greater than 1.5 times that amount, or $24,375. In your case, your total base period wages would be somewhere around $65,000 because you said that your salary was $65,000. So your total base period wages definitely met or exceeded the $24,375 needed to monetarily qualify for extensions.

Now, this is just a generalized example using your annual salary that you gave me, but without looking at your claim to see the EXACT amount of wages in each of the quarters used to build your claim, it's just an example. The base period (quarters) used when you filed your claim was 2Q2008, 3Q2008, 4Q2008 and 1Q2009. That was the timeframe examined to determine your overall eligibility to receive unemployment benefits, and thus the timeframe still used to determine your eligibility for extensions. If you still have your initial determination, that would show your exact wages in those quarters and then you could calculate out the 1.5 times rule.

Right now, however (as of last night, I didn't hear anything today), the EUC program has ended. Folks needed to exhaust their regular UI benefits by May 22, 2010 in order to be eligible to enter into the EUC series of extensions (Tier 1, 2, 3, 4). As soon as the Senate votes to extend the EUC program and we complete that programming (2-3 days after Senate passage), then folks should be able to once again collect EUC. In the meantime, if you have no disqualifications on your claim and you're in your first benefit year, you should be able to receive EB (Extended Benefits). Then when the EUC programming is done, you would switch back over to EUC for the time being. EB again pays 80% of your original claim duration, so if your original claim set for 26 weeks, you'd get 20 weeks of EB (80% of 26) at the same weekly benefit amount, provided you've met the 1.5 times rule for receiving extensions.

Last edited by jdljr; 06-08-2010 at 02:50 PM..

Old 06-08-2010, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 5,433 times
Quote:
If all of the four quarters used in your base period to qualify for benefits were fairly equal because you were salaried, then clearly you should meet the 1.5 times rule to be monetarily eligible for extensions. Your four quarters may each be somewhere around $16,250. So let's say they were all equal, at $16,250. That would be the figure used as the "high quarter". Therefore, in order to be monetarily eligible to receive extensions, your total base period wages would need to be equal to or greater than 1.5 times that amount, or $24,375. In your case, your total base period wages would be somewhere around $65,000 because you said that your salary was $65,000. So your total base period wages definitely met or exceeded the $24,375 needed to monetarily qualify for extensions.

Now, this is just a generalized example using your annual salary that you gave me, but without looking at your claim to see the EXACT amount of wages in each of the quarters used to build your claim, it's just an example. The base period (quarters) used when you filed your claim was 2Q2008, 3Q2008, 4Q2008 and 1Q2009. That was the timeframe examined to determine your overall eligibility to receive unemployment benefits, and thus the timeframe still used to determine your eligibility for extensions. If you still have your initial determination, that would show your exact wages in those quarters and then you could calculate out the 1.5 times rule.

Right now, however (as of last night, I didn't hear anything today), the EUC program has ended. Folks needed to exhaust their regular UI benefits by May 22, 2010 in order to be eligible to enter into the EUC series of extensions (Tier 1, 2, 3, 4). As soon as the Senate votes to extend the EUC program and we complete that programming (2-3 days after Senate passage), then folks should be able to once again collect EUC. In the meantime, if you have no disqualifications on your claim and you're in your first benefit year, you should be able to receive EB (Extended Benefits). Then when the EUC programming is done, you would switch back over to EUC for the time being. EB again pays 80% of your original claim duration, so if your original claim set for 26 weeks, you'd get 20 weeks of EB (80% of 26) at the same weekly benefit amount, provided you've met the 1.5 times rule for receiving extensions.

Thank you SO much. That clears up all of my questions and alleviates my fears of becoming destitute as I continue to search for a comparable position. I was very anxious that I would be left high and dry come July 12th, but after your explanation I feel confident that I will be able to receive either EUC or EB, as my reason for unemployment is 'organizational restructuring', where I was neither fired, nor quit.

Thanks again!! CandC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina