U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-15-2010, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,404 times
my year ended April 4 and when I received my next check it had been reduced $130.00 every week. Everyone I have spoke with advise that their check remained the same. I have questioned my local social security office but I do not understand their explaination. Do you have any ideas why my payments have now been reduced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 03:22 PM

56 posts, read 45,777 times
Unhappy Another unemployment question

I know this might be a stupid question. But is EB different from the Tiers? I asked a guy at the ESC and he told me EB was the 4 tiers. I thought it was something different. Also, I am in my transition claim year 2 with only 3 weeks left. I am getting the same amount on my check as I did the first year. How do I know if I will get the extensions (if they pass another round)? The same guy at ESC told me he couldn't tell until I run out and see if it automatically starts. They are no help at ESC. I would like to know if I am about to be out for good or if I will have some money coming in if the extensions pass again. Help please. this stuff is so confusing.

Tena

Old 07-15-2010, 04:27 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,379,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tena1028 View Post
I know this might be a stupid question. But is EB different from the Tiers? I asked a guy at the ESC and he told me EB was the 4 tiers. I thought it was something different. Also, I am in my transition claim year 2 with only 3 weeks left. I am getting the same amount on my check as I did the first year. How do I know if I will get the extensions (if they pass another round)? The same guy at ESC told me he couldn't tell until I run out and see if it automatically starts. They are no help at ESC. I would like to know if I am about to be out for good or if I will have some money coming in if the extensions pass again. Help please. this stuff is so confusing.

Tena
No, EB is NOT the same as the tiers. The tiers are EUC, and it is the EUC program that ended June 2nd and still has yet to be extended by Congress. EB is a different program that is still (for now) in existence.

Without looking at your claim I cannot tell what the status of it is. I don't know if you received regular UI again in your 2nd benefit year, or if you qualified for the exact same weekly benefit amount as your first claim, or if you have received a pull forward of benefits from the first year. I don't know if three weeks from now you're finishing your regular UI or if your benefit year runs out. You would need to have someone evaluate your claim (and no two claims consultants are alike, hopefully you can find a good one to do that for you) to see where you stand, what program you're in (regular UI, Tier 1, 2, 3, 4, EB) to know what you may qualify for (if anything) in three weeks. Keep in mind too, that what Congress is working on does not add any new tiers or extensions. It is not a NEW EXTENSION. It is simply extendING the current EUC program dates to allow folks to get some of the extension money (Tier 3 and 4) that was approved last November.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:40 PM

Thanks for helping me. This stuff is so confusing. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens. If all else fails, I will try for EB benefits if I don't get anything else.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Frizsell View Post
my year ended April 4 and when I received my next check it had been reduced $130.00 every week. Everyone I have spoke with advise that their check remained the same. I have questioned my local social security office but I do not understand their explaination. Do you have any ideas why my payments have now been reduced?
First, I'm assuming you meant that you contacted the ESC office, not Social Security. If not, you need to contact ESC. But assuming you did contact ESC, I would assume that in your 2nd benefit year you qualified for NEW regular UI. Your weekly benefit amount would be less because your high quarter of wages must have been less in the base period used to establish this benefit year than last. Weekly benefit amounts are determined by taking the high quarter in the base period and dividing by 26. So last benefit year, your high quarter in the base period must have been higher than in the base period for your current benefit year.

Go back to your local office and have them bring up the W6 screen and show you your quarters of wages used to determine this benefit year, and last benefit year. Looking at them both, you'll be able to see what the high quarters in each base periods were. Then you'll know whether or not your weekly benefit amount was reduced because of that.

I'm also assuming that you didn't have some sort of overpayment that is causing each of your weeks to be reduced by half in order to satisfy the overpayment. They'd be able to tell you this too. And no child support being taken out? Taxes? Someone should easily be able to tell you why your weekly benefit amount is less.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:16 PM

7 posts, read 6,580 times
jdljr knows his/her stuff. I don't know who jdljr is but he/she seems to have a very good grasp on understanding this whole process. Thank goodness because before I found this site I was more than confused. Thanks again jdljr!

Old 07-16-2010, 02:54 PM

JDLJR is wonderful!!

By the way, what are the qualifications for getting EB benefits and are their more requirements than looking for 2 jobs a week?

Old 07-16-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tena1028 View Post
JDLJR is wonderful!!

By the way, what are the qualifications for getting EB benefits and are their more requirements than looking for 2 jobs a week?
Monetary requirements are the same as EUC. You just cannot have any disqualifications in the benefit year the EB would be based on, and you cannot have received regular UI in two different years, UNLESS you qualify for NEW extensions in the 2nd benefit year, then you would also qualify for NEW EB in that 2nd benefit year.

Two jobs per week still, but they must be on two different days.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:04 AM

3 posts, read 3,390 times
These forums have been such a huge help for me, and I really appreciate everyone, and especially for sharing. I want to especially thank JDLJR for your good heart which leads you to help us. I just joined today. I was laid off June '09, and had been receiving EB while tirelessly looking for employment. 4 weeks ago while submitting my weekly certification I received the message that I had less than 2 weeks of benefits remaining. 2 weeks ago I could no longer file weekly cert, and was told my benefits ran out. I went to the local ESC and was told that I would now need to apply for regular Unemployment, since my initial benefits ran out. I applied online, and last week received notice in mail showing benefits year begins 07/11/10 and ends 07/09/11, and shows amount. At the bottom it says records show I have not earned 6X the average wage, etc. I was confused. I had to wait a week but on this past Sunday I went it and it allowed me to file a weekly certification. I went back in to check on Tues which is when I normally receive my payment, and my acct said nothing had been processed, and the "active issue" said yes. So, today I went to the local ESC office and the rep reviewed my account, and said "oh, it the 65 issue", and that have to give those to the mgr, who was out today. The rep printed my info and said it would be given to the manager. After reading the prior posts, I think I will go back on Monday to see if I can speak with the manager so that I will know what is going on. I really hope that they can resolve this, after working for the same co for 17 years then being laid off, this is hard and I like everyone else need this.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 3,390 times
I also want to add that the local ESC office I go to have a great group of reps. I have seen 3 diff ones over the course of my unemployment, and each one has been very helpful and kind. While I waited this morning I saw diff people go in with what looked like "the world on their shoulders", but I could hear them laugh while talking to the rep and come out smiling. I don't know if things turned out in their favor or if it was just the ease that these reps work with you. Either way I appreciate them, and I know they could very well let the stresses get to them and just unintentionally be rude, but they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina