Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,879 times

Advertisements

Today marks week 10 of filing my unemployment. I noticed a statement reading today after filing that read "prior disqualification". Does anyone know what that means? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,803 times
It means that a previous employer that you were either terminated or discharged from denied your claim for benefits through them. If a hearing was held through ESC then they ruled in the employers favor and have barred you from obtaining benefits for 2 years. I'm dealing with the same thing however I was working thru a temp agency while I was pregnant and went on maternity leave and they advised me not to return. When I filed for unemployment the company told ESC that I quit and ESC ruled in there favor.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,758 times
Smile just finished phone hearing for unemployment

hi.i was looking for encouragement,advice,insight.i had my phone hearing for unemployment benefits in n.c. ive been filing since sept 19th. i worked for a drs office for 3.5 yrs. i was told i was let go for medication error.but was told later on it couldnt be proved that i done it.so then by the employment office i was told i was let go due to tardiness. i always called and or lft msgs if i knew i was gonna be late.by lateness it figured to be 6 minutes late.i explained to the judge i have 2 children that im responsible for.i am a single mother who has no one else to ask for help.my former employer knew this.but on one day in sept,it was all of a sudden a hugh problem.can anyone understand my situation? i dont see the tardiness as a form of misconduct.my car was just repoed i do not have any money and can not get help from social services.any thoughts would help.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:30 PM

340 posts, read 913,915 times
Get a job

Old 12-05-2011, 08:59 AM

106 posts, read 318,318 times
I am not a lawyer, but am an employer. I am not offering legal advice

You may have some sort of case if you can show that you were somehow treated much differently than others in the exact same situation or if they didn't follow their own written procedures, but that would probably take a lawyer, money, and time.

Tardiness very much is a big deal. Of course, if you are going to be late, it is better to let your employer know, but calling in does not negate what happened. Employment is an agreement between the employee and employer. Part of that agreement is the hours of the job. If the employee regularly shows up late, it can be a real problem.

What if your employer regularly paid you late? Would it be OK as long as they told you in the morning on payday that your check would "just be a few days late?"

That said, I have had employees who are habitually late. If it is just their lack of motivation or organization, not much can be done except for discipline. Others, however have issues like getting the kids to school in a certain time window, etc. that cannot be changed. Where possible, I have worked with them to modify their start time to make getting to work on time possible.

I remember a job interview I had years back where I was applying for a supervisory position. The interviewer asked me, "How often is it OK to be late for work in a month?" People who don't "get it" will try to answer with some specific number. The "correct" answer is "never." You would then follow on with something like, "that said, things happen and there will be occasions where someone will be late for work, but it shouldn't be a regular occurrence or something that is planned."

Old 12-06-2011, 02:38 PM

164 posts, read 357,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefull33 View Post
i dont see the tardiness as a form of misconduct..
It is. One minute late is wrong. Many people have children and are early to work. Being late tells your employer "I don't care about this job".

I know you are in a rough place and I don't want to kick you while you are down.

I just want to make it clear for your next job don't be late. Ever. Wake the kids up early. Plan for traffic. Plan for the worst. Plan to be there early. Just DON'T be late.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:44 AM

192 posts, read 437,945 times
Default severance package and unemployment benefit

A lady from the remote servise center called a moment ago and told me that I am not going to receive unemployment check until the severance package runs out.
Is that still the case in NC?
She mentioned that If I take a class (any classes) from a local college and I would be albe to get the check right away. Any recommondation on the schools/classes?
Thanks

Old 01-24-2012, 10:58 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
See the last Q&A in this guide:

http://www.osp.state.nc.us/emprsk/UI/UI%20info05-06.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-24-2012, 11:14 AM

192 posts, read 437,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
See the last Q&A in this guide:

http://www.osp.state.nc.us/emprsk/UI/UI%20info05-06.pdf (broken link)

I read that when I filed the claim.
It apprears that this is a fairly outdated guide (2004-2005?). Someone mentioned that a new law has passed in NC to make unemployment check available for people with severance pay.
As for the classes, do you think any classes from a local community college will be acceptable? something like (free seminar series from wake tech, or photographing etc)

Old 01-24-2012, 04:35 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
Your severance has no bearing on your eligibility for unemployment compensation. That statement is simple false. And the only people I've ever heard of who's unemployment benefits are tied into mandatory higher-education are those very few who's jobs were lost specifically as a result of foreign outsourcing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina