Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 04:30 PM

22 posts, read 47,819 times

Advertisements

The Senate is addressing unemployment insurance live, right now - CSPAN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 04:41 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboss View Post
What makes North Carolina programmers so INFERIOR, just read this from here;

Federal unemployment extensions expire beginning June 6, 2010 | The AroundFortWayne Blog

(INDIANAPOLIS – May 28, 2010) – The US Congress adjourned for its Memorial Day recess without reauthorizing the federal extensions of unemployment benefits.
According to federal law, Hoosiers currently receiving federal extended unemployment will be able to finish their current tier of benefits (see below), but will not move to the next tier beginning June 6, 2010. DWD estimates approximately 13,000 Hoosiers each week will not have a voucher to file for benefits beginning June 6. All Hoosiers receiving Extended Benefits (EB) will not have a voucher to file beginning Sunday, June 13. Approximately 18,000 Hoosiers are currently receiving extended benefits.
Should Congress reauthorize these programs, it will require approximately two days to reprogram the DWD computer system and resume providing benefits to eligible Hoosiers. Updates will be posted on DWD’s website.

so that we have it straight, OTHER states can ENTIRELY REPROGRAM a new extension system in TWO DAYS, but NC can't fix a problem it caused on its own for "possibly weeks"???????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????
You're talking about apples and oranges here. When/If the Senate does pass the legislation to extend the EUC program, as the House already has, it will also take the NC programmers 2-3 days to update the programming in the system for that issue. They've done it twice before when Congress failed to act timely.

The issue that they're nearing completion on right now has been the "pull forward" of unused extension money from one benefit year to the next for folks who have not worked during their previous benefit year and met the 6x rule for a new benefit year.

I'm not making excuses for anyone, we'd like them to get it done too so we can get folks paid who have not been paid for 3 weeks. I'm just sayin...

Old 06-07-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedandconcerned View Post
hi there - everyone seems knowledgable on this topic and Im hoping you can help me out. I was laid off in October 2009 and opened my claim, but due to my severance package I was only elligable to begin collecting unemployment in January 2010. My money 'runs out' on July 12 2010 but my benefit year isnt up until October 19 2010.

I went to the NCESC office today and was told that there is no way for them to know if I will be elligabale for any extensions until my regular benefits are expired. This is very scary to not know if I'll have any income after July 12th, and it seems crazy to think there is no way for them to know if I'm elligable for an extension prior to my money 'running out'.

Does anyone know if I'll be elligable to receive an extension? If so, how much and for how long? If it's helpful to know this, I worked 2 yrs and 3 months prior to being laid off.

Thanks!!!
CandC
Technically, no one can predict from one week to the next what someone is eligible for. There is more to maintaining eligibility than just the monetary requirement. You must be able and available and seeking work, not have refused work, etc. You could fall off a ladder tomorrow and break your legs and not be able to work...you wouldn't be eligible for unemployment!

However, I can give you a monetary formula that will let you know if, monetarily, you will qualify for extensions. The formula is: Your total base period wages must be equal to or greater than 1.5 times the high quarter in your base period. Example: high quarter of wages is $10,000. This means that in order to be eligible for extensions, the total base period wages must be equal to or greater than $15,000.

If eligible, Tier 1 EUC pays 80% of your original claim duration. So if your claim set for 26 weeks of regular UI, your Tier 1 EUC would pay 20 weeks (80% of 26 weeks) at the same weekly benefit amount you've been receiving. Tier 2 is 54%; Tier 3 is 50%; and Tier 4 is like 21%. All of this is provided that the EUC program is in existence by the time you get to it. After EUC, there is EB and if you monetarily qualify for EUC, you would monetarily qualify for EB. Now...you cannot get EB if you qualify for a 2nd benefit year and get another round of regular UI in that 2nd benefit year. Nor can you qualify for EB if you have any disqualification on your claim related to a separation issue (quit or a fire).

Old 06-07-2010, 04:58 PM

22 posts, read 47,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
You're talking about apples and oranges here. When/If the Senate does pass the legislation to extend the EUC program, as the House already has, it will also take the NC programmers 2-3 days to update the programming in the system for that issue. They've done it twice before when Congress failed to act timely.

The issue that they're nearing completion on right now has been the "pull forward" of unused extension money from one benefit year to the next for folks who have not worked during their previous benefit year and met the 6x rule for a new benefit year.

I'm not making excuses for anyone, we'd like them to get it done too so we can get folks paid who have not been paid for 3 weeks. I'm just sayin...
Hey Jd - im a little confused right now. I ended my benefit year heading into tier 3 - i do not qualify for the 6x rule. They opened up a new claim profile for me that shows active with no issues. So am i waiting for the progamming pull forward issue, the senate vote - or both? I was thinking both this whole time but i keep confusing myself the more i read.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:23 PM

39 posts, read 73,705 times
Quote:

right, and it works both ways. now the ESC is in violation of it terms. what are the punishments for them? nothing.

you say we have to seek 2 days a week, new work, yet, now they aren't providing the benefits????

how does that work?? Did the programmers "fall off a ladder", then they should be fired. If i were to fall of a ladder and YOU say im ineligible to work (and therefore not qualifieid for unemployment) then why is it that THEY get to NOT PROVIDE THE REQUIRED LAW and get zero consequences????

we all worked, paid taxes, there are laws in effect that REQUIRE the state to fulfill the obligations of benefits for qualified unemployed persons.

it must be nice to live/work in a consequenceless world where you can sleep at night while hard working americans are suffering.

and i want to make 100% clear the ESC has admitted that they are in the wrong, they have admitted they is absolutely NO OTHER reason why i am now not getting my benefits other than the inability for these "programmers" to perform their job.

Last edited by farmboss; 06-07-2010 at 05:31 PM..

Old 06-07-2010, 05:26 PM

39 posts, read 73,705 times
http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/leg.../calendars.htm

Floor Schedule
[LEFT]Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 [/LEFT]
10:00 a.m.: Convene and expect to ask the Chair to lay before the Senate the House Message with respect to H.R.4213, the tax extenders bill.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockomon View Post
Hey Jd - im a little confused right now. I ended my benefit year heading into tier 3 - i do not qualify for the 6x rule. They opened up a new claim profile for me that shows active with no issues. So am i waiting for the progamming pull forward issue, the senate vote - or both? I was thinking both this whole time but i keep confusing myself the more i read.
You're watiting for both, technically. The pull forward programming in order that your unused extension money be transferred to your new benefit year, and the senate vote so you can continue in the EUC program.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:16 PM

8 posts, read 16,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboss View Post
right, and it works both ways. now the ESC is in violation of it terms. what are the punishments for them? nothing.

you say we have to seek 2 days a week, new work, yet, now they aren't providing the benefits????

how does that work?? Did the programmers "fall off a ladder", then they should be fired. If i were to fall of a ladder and YOU say im ineligible to work (and therefore not qualifieid for unemployment) then why is it that THEY get to NOT PROVIDE THE REQUIRED LAW and get zero consequences????

we all worked, paid taxes, there are laws in effect that REQUIRE the state to fulfill the obligations of benefits for qualified unemployed persons.

it must be nice to live/work in a consequenceless world where you can sleep at night while hard working americans are suffering.

and i want to make 100% clear the ESC has admitted that they are in the wrong, they have admitted they is absolutely NO OTHER reason why i am now not getting my benefits other than the inability for these "programmers" to perform their job.
Farmboss, I know you're upset. I am too. It's not that people are sitting back waiting for a free handout. People are suffering and the little bit of money we are getting on unemployment is only a enough to push our head up briefly for air. I can't sleep at night hoping and praying someone will call about a job. I can't pay my bills and I have to beg people for a loan or food. It's crazy for anyone to think "we want to live like this."

But please understand JD has really been helping us. The answers come three or four times a day and this person is giving up their time to give us simple explanations. Whomever this person is God bless them and I'm not religious at all but I'm seriously thinking about going back to church.So please be kind.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:19 PM

8 posts, read 16,163 times
Quote:
You're watiting for both, technically. The pull forward programming in order that your unused extension money be transferred to your new benefit year, and the senate vote so you can continue in the EUC program.
Hi Jdljr, I was told today that because of the new law I now don't qualify for the second tier I was getting. I am now in EB of only 8 weeks. Then I will not qualify for unemployment. Are you aware of now the new law is affecting those whom didn't work doing their first year of benefits and now are into their second "dummy" year? Thanks loads.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:25 PM

616 posts, read 1,751,606 times
Agreed. The amount of time and effort put in by jdljr must be enormous, and he/she is always kind even when the OP is not. I don't know if other state forums have the good luck to have a resource like jdljr, but I'm very grateful for the explanations and tips! Thank you again jdljr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XmasMouse View Post
Farmboss, I know you're upset. I am too. It's not that people are sitting back waiting for a free handout. People are suffering and the little bit of money we are getting on unemployment is only a enough to push our head up briefly for air. I can't sleep at night hoping and praying someone will call about a job. I can't pay my bills and I have to beg people for a loan or food. It's crazy for anyone to think "we want to live like this."

But please understand JD has really been helping us. The answers come three or four times a day and this person is giving up their time to give us simple explanations. Whomever this person is God bless them and I'm not religious at all but I'm seriously thinking about going back to church.So please be kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina