U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2006, 07:29 PM

101 posts, read 167,017 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to N. Raleigh in Sept. and the assigned school for the house we like is a year round school which started July 10th. Will this pose any problems for my kids starting potentially very late. School will not have started where we are moving from so they could potentially be 8-10 weeks behind. I'm not worried as much with my ds starting kindergarten as much as my second grader. How do they make up for the lost time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2006, 07:41 PM

128 posts, read 605,676 times
i can see your dillema. i would call the school up and see what you can do about this, i am sure you are not the only one with this situation. In the mean time, I would suggest working one on one with your child on various subjects to catch them up.

Old 07-30-2006, 09:08 PM

4,958 posts, read 10,569,262 times
I think a lot also depends on the school district you're coming from. We moved to Apex in March, which still has a traditional school calendar. My 3rd grader excelled in every subject except math. Math just wasn't covered as well as other subjects at her previous school in NJ. We bought a house in Holly Springs in June. The area we moved to just started year-round school this year, so my poor daughter only had 4 weeks off before having to start school again. She wasn't too happy about it, but she's getting used to it. She's still having a bit of a hard time with math, but we're working on it a lot at home and online, so I'm confident she'll catch up.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:18 PM

26 posts, read 108,328 times
My daughter is also going into 4th grade and she struggles with Math. Our NJ school is changing to "Every Day Math"( started in Chicago a few years ago. She is being tutored this summer so she can get a jump on the new math. She never "got" the traditional math so she does not have to re-learn what she never learned in the first place. Do Wake County Schools use the "Every Day Math" approach to learning? I can't imagine how this child will every understand it if f she has to learn yet another math style.

Should a child need extra help, are after school math clubs or one-on-one assistance available in Wake County?

Old 07-31-2006, 08:41 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,399,374 times
Just dropped my 2 kids off to 2nd grade & 7th, 3 weeks late, b/c track 4, which starts today, was full. I will have more info this afternoon but I will say that there were MANY new kids for Track 1 today at both schools.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:31 PM

338 posts, read 1,321,513 times
do they still go 189 days a year-just more vacation time? I wondered about this full year stuff...3 kids myself...Thanks

Old 08-02-2006, 01:37 PM

Update...
teh kids were not made to make up work. They were far from the only new kids that day... Seems many people timed their moves to be there to start track 4 but it was full so, we got put in the other track.

My 2nd grader is doing fine, although there are 30 kids & 2 teachers in his class. The teacher sends newsletters & is very clear in the expectations for the kids' work. I will meet here tomorrow night at open school night. So far so good, he is right on track.
7th grader is miserable and bored. I called guidance & they called me back IMMEDIATELY, put me in touch with the Gifted coordinator, already gave him challenging work.
Of couse he is still miserable, b/c he has left his friends in NY, only time can help that.

The middle school bus ride is about 20 minutes, elementary is a bit over an hour, I will give it a few more days b/f I punt & drive him the 10 minutes to school!
But, I have to say that all in all I am impressed.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom
do they still go 189 days a year-just more vacation time? I wondered about this full year stuff...3 kids myself...Thanks
check out wcpss dot net & link on the calendarts- all the info is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina