U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 04:48 PM
4 posts, read 24,561 times

I currently live in the Adirondacks in NY state. it's a beautiful area with 4 seasons. I live in a very small town but wouldn't mind living somewhere bigger. I have had a very rough year to say the least and have been thinking about relocating for some time now, and I have always thought NC would be nice.
I have no idea what area I would like. I WAS looking in the raleigh- chapel hill area, however I'm not sure how "city-like" they are. I don't mind being CLOSE to a city at all, but I'm a very outdoorsy person, I like going out on lakes, fishing, hiking, etc. I enjoy the 4 seasons and don't mind snow, (in fact I'm sure my Chow chow would prefer the snow ) but I hate how longggg and cold the winters in NY are. The summers here aren't that hot, usually 80 is the hottest i think..
I'm a 22 year old female and i will have my RN license sometime this summer, thus being close to medical centers is a plus, i wouldn't want to drive more than an hour to get to work. I've also been looking at asheville, the area looks BEAUTIFUL and sort of reminds me of where I live now, but is there anything there? (shops, bars, a walmart? lol), or is it a big city? I wouldn't mind a hoppin' night life, after all I'm only 22. So what area would you recommend for a 22 yr old RN who loves outdoor recreation as well as places to go out, etc.? Also, what are the summers like in the mountain region as opposed to the raleigh area, or any other area you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 06:16 PM
1,878 posts, read 4,527,715 times
Sounds like Asheville would be a perfect fit for you. The summers aren't as hot and humid as the Triangle area and although we do have great outdoorsy things here, it just doesn't compare to the mountains. Asheville has everything you mentioned wanting, shops, bars, and Walmart. GREAT restaurants. I love downtown Asheville. I don't know anything about the clubs though. It is a small city and not as much going on as the Triangle area, but you aren't that far from Charlotte if you want better shopping and more entertainment on the weekends. Good Luck!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:27 PM
3,574 posts, read 12,523,655 times
There are other areas of this great country that ARE expecriencing a greater shortage of nurses than NC plus how are you so certain you'll pass the N-CLEX exam to be licensed? That said, you might want to consider where you'll be located first and then apply to write the exam in that state. Good luck to you!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:35 PM
3,336 posts, read 4,677,541 times
The best part of NC is the part where you are offered a job. Unemployment is high everywhere so apply all over. Get the job lined up before you relocate. If you read these threads, you'll see a lot of "I moved but now I can't find a job". Whichever city you get the job in, you'll find rural areas close by with lakes and hiking trails. The job is harder to find. Good luck.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:48 AM
10,265 posts, read 17,830,596 times
I have always thought NC would be nice
Have you ever actually visited here (the "would be" makes it sound like you haven't)? If not, I'm puzzled that you could decide to move a state "sight unseen". First on the agenda would be taking a trip here and checking out areas for yourself, before you invest any more time thinking about it. That will also help you narrow down general areas (mountains, piedmont, coast; city, suburban, town, or rural; more liberal or more conservative politics--you will find them all here, but only you can know which is the best mix for you)

An RN is in fact one of the few professions that probably COULD move "almost anywhere" and find a job, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't start having things lined up before moving (anywhere). You'd hate to move somewhere only to have to move AGAIN due to employment.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:24 PM
19,615 posts, read 21,347,298 times
Out doors and SNOW?

Have you thought about Michigan?

Seriously, it would have to be Asheville or at least the mountains.

While you are finishing school START looking at the current job market in Ashville, outside Charlotte and around the mountain area.

Could even make a few inquires with some employers?

Research the employment while you are in NY.

Are you a hockey fan?

Been to any Junior Red Wings games in the Adirondacks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or