U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-04-2007, 07:52 PM

3 posts, read 10,345 times
Default Hwy 52 from hillsville to mt airy

I need advice here. i have to go to mt airy from mtn city tn. i am trying to decide on the best route.

i get dizzy with driving and heights and looking off drop-offs. is the hwy 52 ok for me to take from hillsville, VA to mt airy? are there any big drop offs/look offs?
i know that i-77 is not a good one for me to take.

i am also wondering about 421 from boone to wilkesboro. any advice on the route?

thanks
kay
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 08:08 PM

709 posts, read 2,211,664 times
Highway 52 has a fair amount of tree coverage, but it is very curvy with three lanes, only one of them for going downhill.

I cannot guarantee from memory that there are no big views but if there are any, they certainly don't compare to I77.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:10 PM

43,270 posts, read 51,756,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaythume View Post
I need advice here. i have to go to mt airy from mtn city tn. i am trying to decide on the best route.

i get dizzy with driving and heights and looking off drop-offs. is the hwy 52 ok for me to take from hillsville, VA to mt airy? are there any big drop offs/look offs?
i know that i-77 is not a good one for me to take.

i am also wondering about 421 from boone to wilkesboro. any advice on the route?

thanks
kay
Hwy 421 from Boone to Wilkesboro is a very nice ride. The road is newly four-laned and not on any mountains with drops offs - you would be just fine.

Hwy 52 from Hillsville to Fancy Gap is just fine. Fancy Gap southward is a bit winding - but no big scary overlooks that I think would bother you. Happy trails!

Old 06-05-2007, 10:53 AM

2,657 posts, read 4,685,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaythume View Post
kay
Kay, I'm all over those roads on my motorcycle. Last week I rode from the Winston-Salem area to Mountain City to Abingdon to Bristol and over to Middlesboro, KY.

IMO, the least stressful route would be 421 to Boone, over to Wilkesboro to 601 at Yadkinville. Take 601N to Mt. Airy. You'll be making a descent on 4-lanes from Boone, but it's only for about 7 or 8 miles at the most, then the road pretty much flattens out. 601 north will be two lanes, a few curves between Yadkinville and Boonville, but not a bad road at all. You can also hit I-77 north before you get to Yadkinville, I think it's about 30 miles of interstate to the Mt. Airy exit (highway 74 to 601).

If you've never taken 421 to Boone, watch your lanes. Coming into town there are three lanes. The right lane becomes a turn only that puts you on the truck route. It's an OK road; doesn't seem to make much difference in the amount of traffic you encounter. Boone, to me, is one nasty town to drive through. If you don't take the truck bypass and continue through town, watch your lanes. Basically, you'll be wanting to keep to the right (to my best recollection) because the left lane become a turn lane as you get out of town. If you're doing this on a weekend, say a prayer. Tourists hit the town on weekends and it is nasty. You'll have people trying to back out of the storefront parking spaces and jaywalkers.

I'm assuming that when you speak of taking 52 down from Hillsville that you plan to take 91 over to 58 at Damascus and cut across to Hillsville? Have you ever been on 58? From Damascus to Mouth of Wilson are some bad bad, whoa bad, curves . Fun on a motorcycle, but daunting if you don't like curvy roads. 52 down from Hillsville is not too bad, excepting any bad luck in some yahoo riding your tail down that stretch. The road flattens at Cana but you have to watch for traffic there. It's not near as bad as it used to be, back when NC didn't have a lottery and everyone went up to the state line to get tickets, but there are still fruit stands and yard sales along there on the weekends. Traffic bogs down. Also, the weekends see a lot of motorcyclists taking 52 north from Mt. Airy to the Blue Ridge Parkway at Fancy Gap.

All said, I'd go Boone-->Wilkesboro-->Yadkinville-->601N to Mt Airy. Getting thru Boone will be a pain, but it's pretty much clear sailing after that.

Last edited by silverwing; 06-05-2007 at 11:02 AM..

Old 06-05-2007, 06:42 PM

Default Thanks for the info!

Hey everyone thanks for the info on 421 and hwy 52. much much appreciated. i am feeling better now about the roads. i have a friend with a cabin in hillsville so i may take 81 - 77 to hillsville and then come down the local road, she says that works great, although 421 boone - wilkesboro is probably the best route and more direct.

i really appreciate the info on both routes because i may need them coming or going!!!

Old 06-05-2007, 06:55 PM

21,680 posts, read 37,010,844 times
I love the ride from Boone to Mountain City. If you go this way take some lunch with you or swim trunks there is this beautiful creek that follows the road way and at certain spots there is a pull off spots and you can go sit on the rocks and listen to nature.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:06 PM

hey everyone - the trip was great, went hwy 52 at fancy gap near hillsboro. i can handle that one!!! however i came back on 321 thru blowing rock - NOT!!!!! that did scare me out of my mind. they're working on that route and all the tree coverage is gone in order to 4 lane it - whew!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina