Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,672 times

Advertisements

North Carolina is an oppressive manipulative state. Baptists control most of the government and city councils. Asheville is beautiful with awesome seasons but under the surface there is a dark presence of self righteous zealots. Wilmington is a nice town and seems more removed from the grotesque evangelicals. Yet, most gay people in the state seem oppressed and have unhealthy addictions. Petty and scheming. Of course, I moved from San Francisco (don't ask but it's been sad) so most places are going to seem oppressive, especially the south. Go West.The East Coast is too crowded anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 07:20 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-See View Post
North Carolina is an oppressive manipulative state. Baptists control most of the government and city councils. Asheville is beautiful with awesome seasons but under the surface there is a dark presence of self righteous zealots. Wilmington is a nice town and seems more removed from the grotesque evangelicals. Yet, most gay people in the state seem oppressed and have unhealthy addictions. Petty and scheming. Of course, I moved from San Francisco (don't ask but it's been sad) so most places are going to seem oppressive, especially the south. Go West.The East Coast is too crowded anyway.

This post is incorrect on so many levels.
Make assumptions or generalizations much, I know plenty of gay people including my partner and I who dont feel oppressed nor we have unhealthy addictions.
Sure they may be a few but that the same for the straight community too but doesnt mean the whole gay community should be labeled.
Even your last sentence is laughable. East coast crowded lol no where in North Carolina is crowded especially compared to your push to go west.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:10 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-See View Post
So, remind us why you still live here, then?

I'm a gay man born and bred in NC and will never leave. The state legislature at the moment has taken a hard lurch to the Right, but in general, it's a Purple state, much Bluer in the cities (as is true of every state). The tide will turn again. Naturally anywhere is going to seem conservative compared to San Francisco, and in the meantime, you get much more genuine, nicer people in Southern cities. Surely I-See can find somewhere better suited to hir and not have to complain so much.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:20 PM

41 posts, read 76,098 times
Hi! this is a great thread. I just wanted an update for 2013. My partner and I are seriously thinking of moving to the area for the latter part of our lives. We currently live in the Virginia/ DC area. We wanted a slower pace, more country yet with the ammenities of nearby university towns and, of course, gay friendly and progressive. I am an art therapist/art teacher and sculptor. My partner is a nurse/counselor with hospice but has spent most of her life as an ICU nurse. We both are deeply spiritual, from Buddist and Christian backgrounds. We both love hiking. biking and kayaking. With the present political climate is this area still a good fit? and are there any specific areas in the greater Triangle that anyone would recommend?

Old 05-28-2013, 05:08 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artrx View Post
Hi! this is a great thread. I just wanted an update for 2013. My partner and I are seriously thinking of moving to the area for the latter part of our lives. We currently live in the Virginia/ DC area. We wanted a slower pace, more country yet with the ammenities of nearby university towns and, of course, gay friendly and progressive. I am an art therapist/art teacher and sculptor. My partner is a nurse/counselor with hospice but has spent most of her life as an ICU nurse. We both are deeply spiritual, from Buddist and Christian backgrounds. We both love hiking. biking and kayaking. With the present political climate is this area still a good fit? and are there any specific areas in the greater Triangle that anyone would recommend?
I'd be leery of the present political climate, but NC would meet all your other needs.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:38 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
artrx, I have several lesbian friends in Chapel Hill and Carrboro (and some gay male friends, too). This would be a good area for all that you mention—university, gay friendly, progressive, art, medicine, outdoor activities. There are several very nice retirement communities in the area, too, that might be of interest from an employment standpoint for your partner.

Durham might also be a good fit. Duke is not as big as UNC and Durham is much bigger than Chapel Hill and Carrboro so the university presence is not as dominating, but Durham has a lot of interesting stuff going on and is a very progressive community.

Chapel Hill and Carrboro are smaller and you can be out in the countryside in 10 minutes from wherever you are.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:14 PM

41 posts, read 76,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
artrx, I have several lesbian friends in Chapel Hill and Carrboro (and some gay male friends, too). This would be a good area for all that you mention—university, gay friendly, progressive, art, medicine, outdoor activities. There are several very nice retirement communities in the area, too, that might be of interest from an employment standpoint for your partner.

Durham might also be a good fit. Duke is not as big as UNC and Durham is much bigger than Chapel Hill and Carrboro so the university presence is not as dominating, but Durham has a lot of interesting stuff going on and is a very progressive community.

Chapel Hill and Carrboro are smaller and you can be out in the countryside in 10 minutes from wherever you are.
Thank you poppydog! i haven't been on this thread as I have been busy finishing up the school year. Do you have any advice or insight to the current political climate and its effect on the lgbtq community? WE may wait another school year to see how politics arrange themselves in the area. Although we are not coming from a particularly gay-friendly area...

Old 06-13-2013, 12:14 AM

209 posts, read 462,015 times
I also agree the entire Triangle is very gay-friendly, as well as Charlotte and Asheville.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:33 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Oh, the current politics are horrific from the progressive island where I stand, but I don't think they've done anything in particular to make life worse for the LGBTQ community, just North Carolinians in general. If Francois comes back to this thread he might better advise on that.

The mayor of Chapel Hill is a gay man, Mark Kleinschmidt, and both Carrboro and Chapel Hill have progressive town policies on domestic partner benefits. Durham does as well. This wikipedia page has a list of municipalities in NC that do: Recognition of same-sex unions in North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

Old 06-13-2013, 01:44 PM

109 posts, read 200,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia2012 View Post
I also agree the entire Triangle is very gay-friendly, as well as Charlotte and Asheville.
Absolutely!

Charlotte has a very active LGBT nightlife, community center, a gay film festival and a LGBT business networking league.

The Triangle has a great reputation as well (I just don't know the details personally)

Asheville is a dream for LGBT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina