U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 08:26 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,875,993 times

Advertisements

OH ok. that makes more sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2006, 08:41 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,192,477 times
Actually, living in Miami seems sometimes like 13 months

Old 08-02-2006, 01:29 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,386,044 times
"Who wants it it be 85 on Xmas?"
ME! ME ME! ME!
Miami has THEE BEST weather! (That's the reason I moved here but there are more why I stay )

Old 08-02-2006, 03:59 AM

333 posts, read 1,095,645 times
Default North v South weather

I think the way the weather trends have been (super hot streaks in midwest, upper US, northern Europe etc) and this supposedly will only get worse as the global warming thing continues you are going to have more and more days in the summer up here in the "north" not much different than the south...now it won't be consistently week to week, but you will get more of the 4-5 day stretches where its hotter/humider here than most of the south... so here is the trade off

If you have $900K for a 2400 sq foot house in san diego - move. It's perfect upper 60s/low 70s in the winter, low 80s in the summer. Otherwise NC seems to be a pretty decent tradeoff ... my assumption being most humans love the mid 60s to low 80s weather.

Coming from Michigan viewpoint and knowing Ohio, Ill, Indiana, Minnesota (anything in the Big 10 conference) has essentially similar weather this is my trade-off

July-August: Midwest you get those 10-15 days where its just terrible up here, upper 90s with the huge humidity (we are getting one of those streaks now)... where its cooler in Miami than it is in St Paul, Minnesota. So thats a wash with NC. NC has average highs that are higher but you have the A/C.

December through Feb in Carolina are cool, looks like lots of upper 40s/low 50s for highs. For me, that is light jacket weather but down there it's probably heavy jacket weather Especially with a rain which when soaking you can make it not too fun. So that is 3 months like that. Compare that to here where upper 40s would be considered balmy, and you really don't feel like going outside once you get home from work since its cold. (plus its dark by 5:30 so its cold with no sunshine the times you are actually outside) Plus did I mention its grey 25 out of 30 days (not exaggerating, it truly is)... even if NC is cloudy I assume its sunny at least 1/3 of the time in the winter. And you get 20 degrees more warmth.

March, April, May, September, October, November seem "on paper" glorious in NC... anything from low 60s to low 80s. That's 6 months of nirvana (in my book) In Midwest, March is not much different from deep winter except you get a lot more slush on the ground and some wonderful 45 degree days... same with November. 2 lost months (March/November).

April and October are hit or miss up here, you get some decent days, but you can still get a snowstorm in mid April, and its usually wet and still slushy at times with the cold rain or snow that melts when it hits the ground. October is nice jacket weather, early October is nice, but by Halloween you are usually bundled up (except for that nice week of Indian summer) but its not consistent, one day can be 65, the next 45. So another 2 months that severely lag a climate like NC (April/October)

May and September are my 2 favorite months up here because its 60s/70s, no humidity, and glorious. But it sounds like I can trade those 2 months for the 6 I mentioned above for NC where weather is very similar.

So I get the same hot and humid in July/August in either place (although NC's is much more persistant day to day where we get some breaks up here), a hotter June certainly, so 3 months of the real "HOT" and in return I get 6 months of "spring/early summer" (what we would consider May and September to be up here) down there, and then my winters are 18-20 degrees warmer to boot.

So it's all relative.

I assume the same can be said for much of New England except your winters in NY/NJ (at least near the coast) dont seem to be quite as frigid (when we are in the mid 30s, you seem to be in the low 40s when I watch the weather map) - and a little longer "spring".

I don't like the super heat myself, but NC has a lot of advantages in that regard versus a Texas, Arizona, Florida, Bama, Miss, Georgia, etc. 4-5 months of that relentless heat is harder on you than just 2-3 months. Even the inner parts of the lower midwest get super hot/humid in the summers (worse than NC which seems a bit temperate) i.e. St Louis, Memphis, Kansas, yet are colder in the winter as well.

My favorites are the poor Dakotas...they get the worst of the winter (many days of teens or below) and then you see them at 110 sometimes in the summer!

So all in all, for the cost of living/weather relationships I think NC seems to be at the top of the list. And if you want somewhat cooler winters but even more temperate summers you can live more towards the mountain area. Oh yeh, if Al Gore is correct, all the major cities on the coast are going to be under water anyhow in about 50 years so by having major cities in the center of the state, NC is going to have a major advantage and just think the beach will only be 2 hours away instead of 3 as they are now from the major metro areas. But then the NC area will have a super influx of population growth from the 20 metro areas on the coasts underwater ....darn, just no solution

Old 08-02-2006, 06:26 AM

180 posts, read 678,994 times
That is just about what we have for weather in the Northeast, except we get that Low pressure system in april that just "sit's and spins off the coast for days". Usually this results in a few postponed RED SOX games early in the season. This year was the exception, opening day was 70 and glorious. Things have changed though because last year I only could go snowmobiling two times and you have to have nothing else planned. If you miss your window the snow melts and you wait till another big dumping. When I move to NC I will get a jet ski and ride that, seems more useful and not dependent on weather so much. Nothing like riding a sled through the woods for many miles on groomed trails, that I will miss. I agree having two small children in the winter is tough, not being able to go out for walks because of road conditions or cold. I look forward to spending much more time outside when I move to NC...

Old 08-02-2006, 06:55 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,753,253 times
Well I won't miss shoveling snow on Mothers Day!

Old 08-02-2006, 08:32 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,875,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinmass
That is just about what we have for weather in the Northeast, except we get that Low pressure system in april that just "sit's and spins off the coast for days". Usually this results in a few postponed RED SOX games early in the season. This year was the exception, opening day was 70 and glorious. Things have changed though because last year I only could go snowmobiling two times and you have to have nothing else planned. If you miss your window the snow melts and you wait till another big dumping. When I move to NC I will get a jet ski and ride that, seems more useful and not dependent on weather so much. Nothing like riding a sled through the woods for many miles on groomed trails, that I will miss. I agree having two small children in the winter is tough, not being able to go out for walks because of road conditions or cold. I look forward to spending much more time outside when I move to NC...
THAT is perhaps the biggest misconception people have when they move south. Summer here is hybernation season just as much as it is for winter in the North. Kids aren't out riding their bikes and setting up tents in their backhard or swiming in the creek; it's too hot. The pools aren't even refreshing anymore after early July. Winter is still cold. Highs in the upper 30's and low 40's. Maybe 3-4 days in January and 7 of February with temperatures exceeding 50. The only time kids (and many adults) go out to play in winter is when it snows (usually happens a couple times a year in Jan and Feb; once 6 inches the day AFTER christmas. lol) Trust me, I grew up in the Northeast and all of my famiily is still there. People spend MUCH more time outside in the North than in the south.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:52 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,348,852 times
No disrespect, I'minformed, but that is VERY incorrect generalization. Maybe where and when you grew up it was like that. Not in all of the "Northeast". I have lived in many parts of NJ and it is rare if you see children outside playing. That is due, for the most part, to the fact that so many families have both parents working just to be able to stay in the state. I spent four years in a subdivision directly across from our pool and playground and my children barely met anyone. I've been in NC for less than a month and (except for the 100 degree) days, the kids on my block have been out DAILY, riding bikes playing in the street, coming over to play in the yard, or going to the pool (which to our delight stays open until the end of September and until 9pm). Am I just lucky to have found this neighborhood? I don't know. But I do know the facts you're leaving out. When the kids in NJ are staying inside playing video games in November, December, January, February, AND March, my kids can be outside in NC.

I don't think where you are from in NY is representative of where most people are moving from-or why they are moving, for that matter.

I've lived in Jersey all my life except for a year in CA, and you never see kids out playing in the winter unless it snows. Which, unlike upstate NY, isn't as often as many people would think.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:59 AM

293 posts, read 865,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymom
No disrespect, I'minformed, but that is VERY incorrect generalization. Maybe where and when you grew up it was like that. Not in all of the "Northeast". I have lived in many parts of NJ and it is rare if you see children outside playing. That is due, for the most part, to the fact that so many families have both parents working just to be able to stay in the state. I spent four years in a subdivision directly across from our pool and playground and my children barely met anyone. I've been in NC for less than a month and (except for the 100 degree) days, the kids on my block have been out DAILY, riding bikes playing in the street, coming over to play in the yard, or going to the pool (which to our delight stays open until the end of September and until 9pm). Am I just lucky to have found this neighborhood? I don't know. But I do know the facts you're leaving out. When the kids in NJ are staying inside playing video games in November, December, January, February, AND March, my kids can be outside in NC.

I don't think where you are from in NY is representative of where most people are moving from-or why they are moving, for that matter.

I've lived in Jersey all my life except for a year in CA, and you never see kids out playing in the winter unless it snows. Which, unlike upstate NY, isn't as often as many people would think.
I agree with you jerseymom. I live in a neighborhood on LI with LOTS of kids & you hardly see them out in the summer. Most of them are in camp because both parents have to work to keep up with the bills. I'm glad to hear that your kids are happy in your neighborhood. I hope I have the same luck when we move to NC.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:05 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,892,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymom

I wish I would have moved my kids there when they were younger. Heck I wish I would have been there when I was younger in stead of NY (blaugh)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina