U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2006, 09:49 AM

9 posts, read 39,711 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Upstate NY. THe schools are great and the neighborhood is great. But I am so tired of always having to struggle. I am a high school teacher and my husband is a Local 3 electrician. He is currently unemployed for 5 months due to lack of jobs. We have visited NC since 2000 because my husband has family there. Since then, I have had the urge to move there, but wouldnt because my family is here. NOW, I now that most of my family (sister, MOM and DAD ) are tired of NY and would think about living in NC. There are so many things to think about.
My brother in law is in the Computere business and my nephew is autistic so that is a big job to t ry to find links for information on that. Can anyone give me some of their opinions or past experiences? Thanks for your time
Vicky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2006, 12:15 PM

956 posts, read 4,067,309 times
I grew up in Detroit but lived in the South for years. 12 years in NC.
Personally, I wouldn't go back, but that is me. I like big cities and diversity etc. Couldn't find that in NC anywhere.
To you move. My niece lives in Cartaret county on the coast of NC. She adopted a special needs child. She has had a tough time finding the services they need for him. Luckily her husband is a social workers and was able to navigate the system well enough to eventually patch together the supports they needed.
If you really hate NY, then NC might be the place for you. However, don't think that you are going to find a cheaper and warmer version of where you live. It is fundamentally different in a variety of ways.
Good luck.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:50 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,870,706 times
I'm originally from the Rochester area and thought all the same things you did, Moved to NC 11 years ago; and now I'm dying to get back to Upstate NY. We'll be moving back here next june at the latest. Qualtiy of life in UPSTATE ny > than quality of life in central NC. (FYI; no wegmans, only Harris Teeter which is a knock off). The high taxes of upstate NY are more than made up for by the lower cost of living overall; especially the cheaper housing prices. That and the satisfaction of knowing your kids are getting a quality education in a school that you don't have to worry about getting re-assigned out of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or