Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 02:25 PM

4 posts, read 22,346 times

Advertisements

I am asking this question on behalf of my 56 year old mom. She is newly divorced and looking to relocate to North Carolina. She is an active, religious African-American woman. She would like to live in a small, friendly, safe town where there is some cultural diversity, with a good choice of baptist/evangelical churches, resturants, activities but also be near a larger city in the state. Low cost of living is very important, ideally where there is inexpensive rent under 500-600 per month, or perhaps 1-2 bedroom modest condos for approx. $50,00-70,00.

If you can recommend any cities that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 02:57 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea48103 View Post
[i]I am asking this question on behalf of my 56 year old mom. She is newly divorced and looking to relocate to North Carolina.
Why NC, specifically? (The answer to that might help narrow down the answer).

Old 04-15-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Why NC, specifically? (The answer to that might help narrow down the answer).

We used to visit Charlotte from time 10-15 years ago and she always seemed to like the place. She is looking for a completely new start and would like somewhere with milder weather than where we are from originally (Ohio) and a low cost of living. I have been helping her research places and NC is on the short list

any help would be appreciated

Old 04-18-2010, 07:46 AM

305 posts, read 767,799 times
I think the Triangle area (Raleigh/Cary, Durham, Chapel Hill) has a lot to offer. You might pose this question there.

Durham has a historically vibrant African American community with a lot of black-owned businesses, etc. NC A&T, a historically black college, is there. Durham is also home to Duke, and the Durham Bulls, etc. Housing is cheaper in Durham than in many other parts of the triangle (notably Chapel Hill). It has a vibrant and growing arts community and a revitalized downtown with the ballpark and performing arts center, etc. Many people perceive Durham to have a crime problem and there are bad and poorer parts of town and crime does happen, but for the most part if you stay out of the bad parts of town and don't join a gang you'll be fine. I have many friends with young kids who live there and love it.

Chapel Hill is a very nice college town.

Raleigh is a bigger city, but there are many smaller suburbs around it. Cary has a reputation as safe and clean.

hth, and ask in the particular forum if you're interested in a particular region.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:57 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea48103 View Post
I am asking this question on behalf of my 56 year old mom. She is newly divorced and looking to relocate to North Carolina. She is an active, religious African-American woman. She would like to live in a small, friendly, safe town where there is some cultural diversity, with a good choice of baptist/evangelical churches, resturants, activities but also be near a larger city in the state. Low cost of living is very important, ideally where there is inexpensive rent under 500-600 per month, or perhaps 1-2 bedroom modest condos for approx. $50,00-70,00.

If you can recommend any cities that would be great.

Honestly, have her check out Atlanta

Old 04-18-2010, 06:46 PM

18 posts, read 31,005 times
Raleigh! It's a big small town. There are many smaller neighborhoods on the outskirts that are great too.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:28 AM

Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 05-11-2010, 07:55 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,809,602 times
Rolesville, Wake Forest or Knightdale are all good areas, close to Raleigh and Durham and less expensive than some other parts of Raleigh. North Raleigh would be ideal, but a bit more expensive for a nice apartment or condo.

A nice, safe rental for $700 will take some searching, but possible. Finding a condo in the $50,000 - $70,000 range may be a challenge.

Greenville would be good. East Carolina Univeristy and the medical center are excellent. Cultural diversity, choice of religious preference, shopping and restaurants are available. Raleigh/Durham is an hour and a half west of Greenville.

A visit to the Raleigh/Durham area and Greenville would be good. She could check out rentals and real estate prices.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,449 times
I'm a 58 yr old single african american woman that wants to relocate to the charlotte nc area or surrounding areas, somewhere that's safe since I'll be moving alone, I don't have transportation at the moment so I need access to the transit line and an area that's not too expensive, so it would be greatly appreciated if you could help me, thank you.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:55 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
Charlotte or greensboro I don't think the triangle is a good fit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina