Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2007, 06:58 PM

36 posts, read 179,452 times

Advertisements

I went on the site for NC about this but the info was very scattered brained to me. I live in youngsville, nc and am coming from Michigan. Do I have to take a physical driving test, or a written test or just an eye test?

I read the site for the dmv for North Carolina and was pretty confused about what in the heck to do.

I have been here now for 4 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 07:54 PM

653 posts, read 2,705,661 times
According to the North Carolina DMV's Driver's Handbook:

Quote:
A new resident, 18 years or older, applying for a Class C license is required to take the:

• Knowledge test;
• Vision test;
• Traffic signs recognition test; and
• Driving skills test (if the examiner deems
necessary).

Page 22

Old 06-10-2007, 09:06 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
Knowledge test. Hmmm. Does NC have any odd/unique laws we should know about? I will be doing this in about 6 weeks!
Also, how expensive are license plate tags? I just paid $140 in March and I'm not too excited about having to get a new plate & tags....

Old 06-10-2007, 09:34 PM

573 posts, read 2,442,820 times
Is there a study guide besides the handbook link posted? I really don't want to fail and when I took my first test over 10 years ago, I knew all the questions that were going to be on it. I have 5 months to study, moving from FL... Driving skills test (if the examiner deems
necessary) - I hope I have a nice one! : 0 )

Old 06-10-2007, 10:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Jaynarie yes there are certain rules that apply specifc to this state I saw this link posted in another thread and I thought I would share it with you.

North Carolina Driver License Exam BrainDumps: Study Guide for the NC DMV exam

the sign test is done thru the eye test you look thru a machine and tell the driver what that sign means it good to review the signs names because you might know what you need to do with that sign but not remember what it is called.

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Applying for a Driver's License or Learner's Permit?

Tags are 20 dollars plus a 3 percent highway use fee and the county you reside in collects annual property tax on your vechicle.

safety inspection is $9.10
safety emission inspection require in certain counties is $30.00

this guide will help with you everything you need to know about working with dmv by the way when you do go go early they are crowded in the afternoons

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Newcomer's Guide (http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/moving/newnc/newComersGuide/ - broken link)

Old 06-11-2007, 01:09 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Newcomers to the state will get a discount on the 3% Highway Use Tax (HUT) when they bring their currently owned vehicles into North Carolina. The maximum will be $150 or less for each vehicle instead of the normal 3% HUT.

However, once you become a resident, you'll have to pay a 3% HUT on new or used motor vehicle purchases at the time you apply for a NC title. NC does not have a sales tax on motor vehicles.

Details - NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Highway Use Tax (HUT)

Last edited by mm34b; 06-11-2007 at 01:17 AM..

Old 06-11-2007, 04:30 AM

324 posts, read 1,528,320 times
when i moved here 6 years ago...just had to take a 'written' computer exam... and that was it...no eye exam, no drivers test...from what I remember you had/have to get a certain % to pass...& ddlove1: i think there is just the handbook online BUT if you know someone that lives here, ask if they can get a book for you (mom got me one before I moved)

Old 06-11-2007, 08:13 AM

573 posts, read 2,442,820 times
thanks for all the info! that cheat sheet is great! : 0 )

Old 06-11-2007, 08:38 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Had to get an 80 on the "written" test (25 questions, minimum of 20 right). You can miss about 2 signs and still pass. Most are obvious but some are JUST the shapes, nothing on them.

Wearing glasses so yes, they did verify my eyesight. They were too busy to worry with a driving test...

Spent the last 6 years in MI and walked in "cold" to the test. Have my license, now to get my car registered...waiting on paperwork. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina